Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So whats next?

• 25-07-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Ok so for a while we knew that the M8 Mitchelstown - Fermoy was opening, and it was pretty obvious that the M6 Ballinasloe - Athlone was going to be after that.

Whats next?

It seems to be a bit more of a mystery. Will it be the Waterford Bypass, a chunk of the M9, or one of the M7s??

I'm not even looking at the NRA website for guesswork either :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Looking like end of September or early October anyway for the N25 Waterford bypass and the wonderful new bridge :D

That appears to be the consensus anyway. The National Hot Air Ballooning Championship is due to take place in Waterford the week of 21 September and apparently will coincide with the opening of the new bridge. Maybe they'll only open it to pedestrians that week before it is opened to traffic and the peds then can't use it any more.

http://www.discoverireland.com/us/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/whats-on/listings/product/?fid=FI_74865

As for the M9 into Waterford, well that's anyone's bloody guess... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

My bets on the Waterford-Knocktopher section if they sort out the Mullivat interchange.

Anyway its either going to be a section of the M9 or N25 thats going to be finished next.

M7 Nenagh-Limerick probably December.

M7 Nenagh-Castletown 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It isn't gonna be a Motorway, so the Peds will still be able to use it along with the cyclists and tractors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It isn't gonna be a Motorway, so the Peds will still be able to use it along with the cyclists and tractors

Apparentally, cyclists and pedestrians won't be able to use the section between Grannagh and the Western Link interchange. Whether or not there is actually any concrete legislation to back this up is another issue.

I don't see why it wasn't redesignated though. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Wonder when N69 <-> N20/M20 section of N7 Limerick SRR phase 2 might open if it is opened before the rest? They seem to be making rapid progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,928 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bits of the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen I saw today appeared to be on their final coat of asphalt and a fully intact median barrier but the Kilcullen tie in is barely started.... could still be an outside chance of it getting there first though.

M3 sectional jobbie either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

MYOB wrote: »
    The bits of the M9 Carlow-Kilcullen I saw today appeared to be on their final coat of asphalt and a fully intact median barrier but the Kilcullen tie in is barely started.... could still be an outside chance of it getting there first though.

The fact that Roadbridge are working on that scheme as well it wouldnt be a surprise if they completed it soon. I think its ahead of schedule according to NRA projected finish its next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

How's the M3 looking for a December opening? Certainly M7 N-L, N25 and....how about a sectional M9 opening? Some of it is lined and studded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Heres food for thought from the latest T21 newsletter.

http://www.transport21.ie/Publications/upload/File/T21_Newsletter_Summer_2009.pdf
    Already this year, four national road schemes, the N8 Fermoy
    to Mitchelstown scheme, the N51 Navan Inner Relief Road, the N4/Leixlip M50 Junction
    and the N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe scheme, have been completed and opened to traffic.
    The NRA expects that a further seven sections of the motorway network will be completed by the end of 2009.

Seven more?

I dont think so, lets see.

N25 Waterford bypass
    M9 Kilcullen - Carlow
    M9 Knocktopher - Waterford
    M7 Nenagh - Limerick

Any more? I cant think of three more.

Edit: The idea of putting a photo of the N7 Red Cow upgrade FULL OF TRAFFIC AND JAMMED TO THE HILT is NOT the way to sell an upgrade project.

Edit2: Later in the newsletter they say this
    By the end of 2009 Kilcullen to Carlow on the N9 will
    open as well as the Waterford bypass on the N25, N7 Nenagh to Limerick, N9 Waterford to
    Knocktopher and N6 Galway to Ballinasloe.

Thats only 5, and the N6 is doubtful to finish in the next 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,928 ✭✭✭✭L1011

M3 sectional is very much possible I'd say. Down to whether the concessionaire considers it worthwhile.
    They aren't going to try and treat the Nenagh BP upgrade as a scheme in its own? It could easily be "done" this year and opened to allow overtaking....

There aren't many national road schemes underway that I can think of so I doubt its any of these and a typo - the Tullamore BP and Castleisland BP aren't going to be open this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Isn't some of the M2 getting re-designated?
    sneaky but part of the Motorway network.

Athlone re-designation??

Advertisement