Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

and this stuff is legal!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

"One moment he was just a heavy drinker, the next he was losing weight and being sick every morning"
    Some comment to make.......:eek:

Sounds like a plan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

For those who like to know what a thread is actually about.....

What drives a child to drink?

By the time Madeline Hanshaw's son Gary Reinbach was 13 he was drinking heavily. This week, aged just 22, he died of liver failure. Here, she defends herself – and her son's memory – against those who have been quick to pass judgment

Ponster wrote: »
    For those who like to know what a thread is actually about.....

i actually didn't till you quoted it. crazy story. i don't smoke weed but i know it doesn't do that to people.

They are a happy looking bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

No way am i reading all that this early in the morning,someone sum it up for me:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

rarnes1 wrote: »
    They are a happy looking bunch.

Off-licence must be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ugh... that poor woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Down with ALL sort of things!

FunkZ wrote: »
    Down with ALL sort of things!

except felching goats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

For those of you who didn't see the pictures of this poor man this week:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6721483.ece

In fairness, I've often gone that colour after smoking too much doob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Food is legal. eat enough of it and you'll die. When will we wake up to the dangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Very sad story but it's an extreme case of alcoholism. Drink, like almost anything else, can kill you when taken to those extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm pretty sure that alcohol is actually the solution to all of lifes problems. That is my understanding anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

omahaid wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that alcohol is actually the solution to all of lifes problems. That is my understanding anyway

This is a fact.

See World health report here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He started drinking to young. I'd say if he was smoking cannabis like that at that age (he probably was) he'd have some other problem. Children's bodies can't handle stuff in their system while they're growing. Someone should pass a law or something because we all know laws fix things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

read it and weep..http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2009/jul/25/gary-reinbach-alcoholic-madeline-hanshaw

wake up Ireland - we are gonna be seeing a lot more of this in the coming years. And meanwhile a plant with NO recorded fatalities is illegal:mad: what an insane society we have created.

This country can hardly control itself with one legal drug what would the logic be in legalising a second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Stev_o wrote: »
    This country can hardly control itself with one legal drug what would the logic be in legalising a second?

You're right. The country is like the Wild West. People are falling around drunk, murdering each other and dying of liver failure everywhere you look. We've abandoned traditional family values, academia and culture and we've levelled the country to a barren wasteland of hedonism and excess. Run away! Run away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They're two completely different drugs that have completely different effects on people. It's like comparing chalk and cheese and coming up with bomb. Your expecting cannabis to add to the worst aspects of alcohol where as I'm pretty sure it'll soften them as a cannabis culture kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

And meanwhile a plant with NO recorded fatalities is illegal

is death the only adverse effect we should be concerned about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

sam34 wrote: »
    is death the only adverse effect we should be concerned about?

Depends on how high up the food chain you are I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

latenia wrote: »
    For those of you who didn't see the pictures of this poor man this week:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6721483.ece

In fairness, I've often gone that colour after smoking too much doob.

So have I. The difference being that a pizza and a breath of fresh air was enough to put the colour back in our cheeks.
    Turning the colour of your own bile whilst your blood fills with urea and ketones is a little more serious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Many things can kill you if consumed in excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'd read a previous article about this a few days ago, but the tone was totally different. They seemed to be going after the doctors for refusing Gary a liver transplant. This article didn't play that card to the same extent, which is a good thing. I would find it quite hard to justify giving this lad a new liver when they're in such short supply. I'd rather give it to someone less likely to wear it out in a single-digit number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The guy was a heavy drinker by the age of 13!? What kind of irresponsible, ill-fit parent could allow their child to be drinking heavily at such a young age? That's absolutely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

They gave Georgie Best one and it didn't stop him drinking for long...but wait, he was rich and famous.
    I agree though on the issue of giving it to someone like this over giving it to someone with non-alcoholic induced liver failure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Gary... who reportedly got through three bottles of vodka a day at the height of his addiction
    That is a lot of alcohol to consume in 1 day.

Link to another ah thread on the same topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

He started drinking at the age of 11, I'm pretty sure thats illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Yes, leaving it as it is is the way to go. Let's continue to:
    • Spend tax revenue policing it even though, despite this tax spend, it's pretty much freely available anyway
    • Allow organised crime reap the financial revenue as opposed to the revenue commissioner.

It's drug legalisation 101, not that complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Because if that other drug has the exact same effects as alcohol but is nowhere near as toxic, then it will cut down massively on healthcare expenditure and drastically improve the quality of life for users.

Aswell as making hangovers a thing of the past.

That good enough for ya?

Advertisement