Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People stealing dogs

Options
  • 25-07-2009 11:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

dog owners should beware of tinkers going around stealing dogs , its becoming quite common lately , apart from using them to fight , they then look for owners who advertise rewards for lost dogs

was on the radio during the week on several stations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

where are the common places this is happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's very generalised type of statement.
    Lots of people steal dogs, especially ones that look like pedigree ones. That's another reason never to leave your dog tied up outside a shop, apart from it being mean if you're longer than 5mins.
    People have had dogs stolen out of their gardens too, purely for resale etc. Everyone should be vigilant about the safety of their animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Anywhere, they just pick up any dogs that they can, just beware-they broke in to my mates house a few weeks ago and robbed the house-lucky the dog ran off, i know it was travellers cause they got the reg off the van and it was registered to them and still nothing happened.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    dog owners should beware of tinkers going around stealing dogs , its becoming quite common lately , apart from using them to fight , they then look for owners who advertise rewards for lost dogs

was on the radio during the week on several stations

Have a bit more respect please than calling people, yes people just like you and I, 'tinkers'. Call them the Travelling Community. Also, It's not just the travelling Community that goes around stealing dogs you know.

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Have a bit more respect please than calling people, yes people just like you and I, 'tinkers'. Call them the Travelling Community. Also, It's not just the travelling Community that goes around stealing dogs you know.

Im quite sure that a way higher % of Travellers steal dogs than settled people, i grew up with travellers and some would be friends but i would not trust them as far as i'd throw them-PC brigade on the way!

• Advertisement

I'll just step in to say this once, 'people' stealing dogs is under discussion. Any further deviation and this will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

cowzerp wrote: »
    Im quite sure that a way higher % of Travellers steal dogs than settled people, i grew up with travellers and some would be friends but i would not trust them as far as i'd throw them-PC brigade on the way!

id reckon you would throw them a decent enough distance doh :D

TechnoPool wrote: »
    id reckon you would throw them a decent enough distance doh :D

Thanks i like to be told I'm strong but that's a bit of an exaggeration-i would not be able to throw any people far.

I got "PEOPLE" to do my drive way last year and even though 1 of them did not like dogs he was still very interested in my rotty, asking lots of questions to find out if he was viscious and where he slept etc..

but maybe he was just been a nice person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

a samoyed husky was stolen by "people" in raheny in the last fortnight from somebody i know.
    lifted out of the garden and put into the boot of the car.
    hopefully as shes spayed it will be let go unharmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Thanks i like to be told I'm strong but that's a bit of an exaggeration-i would not be able to throw any people far.

I got "PEOPLE" to do my drive way last year and even though 1 of them did not like dogs he was still very interested in my rotty, asking lots of questions to find out if he was viscious and where he slept etc..

but maybe he was just been a nice person.

ah sure im only buzzin man :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

nice to get a big of support from someone with common sense , the pc brigage will overlook anything tinkers do as thier are sacred cow of the left , its common knowledge that tinkers steal dogs , they also poison dogs , i had the awful experience of finding my dog poisioned after i refused to buy some stolen merchandise of tinkers a few years ago

as i said , it was on liveline and other radio shows in the week gone by

perhaps but the storys on the radio involved dogs being stole by tinkers , if i had not mentioned that it was tinkers who were doing the stealing on this occasion , thier wouldnt be a pip out of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 the crank

those KNACKERS stole my dog of 10 years. they camped up the road from us and as soon as they moved on he was gone. prob used to blood fighting dogs. do you know what they do to the small dogs first? they break all there teeth so they cant fight back. my poor bloody dog oz.
    ye in the PC brigade would want to bloody wake up and get real.

I have already made a warning in this thread - I don't care who calls who what - this is about dogs being stolen, by whomever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

It's not just those people who were referenced in previous posts stealing dogs. My friend had her purebred giant breed stolen in Wicklow on Christmas Day last year :mad:. Fortunately she was only a pup, and not fully trained, and was always quite loud if she was indoors anywhere. They dumped her and some of the other stolen dogs that were howling in a quite housing estate. A person living in the area noticed the noise, saw them being dumped, rang the guards and took them in until the guards could come and get further info. My friend was lucky and was reunited with her dog 2 days later, however one of her neighbours lost their 2 year old white german shepeard.

The guards said that this particular case was related to a gang of foreigners who would steal dogs and sell them in markets in a different county (eg steal the dogs in Wicklow, sell them in Kildare). They said from what they could tell, the gang would survey a particular area for which homes had purebred dogs, and try to target when they noticed most people would be away. My friend was over at her in laws at the time, her dog was as secure as she could be in the back garden. It's very difficult to access her back garden, so they knew what she had and they would have had a few people to get her dog out from there.

Unfortuantely, it's not one lot of people who steal animals :( . It's also good to note that you should always microchip your pets, as if they are stolen you'll have a better chance of being reunited with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

There is a major problem with this all over the country but also the Dodder Valley Park in Firhouse, Dublin 24 has been named as a hotspot for it. Apparently its a case of people watching and waiting in the bushes where they can't be seen and grabbing off lead dogs.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/honey-dognapped-from-citys-canine-bermuda-triangle-1816076.html

This dog has since been reunited with her family :D

I don't know how anyone could take the risk of leaving their dog in their garden unattended while they are out. Its asking for trouble. And yes, I do know that dogs have been taken from inside houses but you are handing your dog on a plate to someone if you leave it in your garden

Also the Guards know who are doing the Dodder Valley ones but can't prove it.

As this is such an important topic, just so it doesn't get locked and can be commented on and advice given in, can we all please refrain from pointing out who the culprits are likely to be in these situations so we can keep the thread open.

Vel wrote: »
    Also the Guards know who are doing the Dodder Valley ones but can't prove it.

As this is such an important topic, just so it doesn't get locked and can be commented on and advice given in, can we all please refrain from pointing out who the culprits are likely to be in these situations so we can keep the thread open.

providing no one is individualy named , i cant see any problem , lets not confuse whats offically slander with what are official sacred cow minority groups

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I have seen travellers regularly at horse marts selling dogs every month of different breeds.Also some travellers followed me one day and i know where intending to steal my japanese spitz bitch.as i got out the car they where watching me but drove off when i carried her in the shop with me.They followed me for a half hour that day i got their reg .everytime i stopped they did,lets be honest their are all sorts stealing dogs but travellers are the main offenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

How do our "friends" manage to steal the dogs?

We have a boxer bitch and she HATES our "friends". There's no way that they could walk up and grab her. They must have done something to her on one of their "visits" when nobody was around when she was a pup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

i am absolutely petrified of our fella being stolen - i literally am leaving him in the house instead of the garden when we are gone out, which i feel awful for doing. he has irritable colon and has to eat a certain food type, if 'they' stole him he'd have an unreal dose of the s##ts and they'd prob leave him in a ditch somewhere!

Obviously though, they are being stolen because there is a market for them - supply meets demand etc... just ensure your doggies are microchipped folks

Better still, dont buy your next dog off a traveller or off any suspected dodgy seller and tell people the same and then your not supporting the thieving..

even better dont buy unregistered dogs .If a dog is registered with pedigree cert and microchip you know the dog isnt stolen.because so many people sell unregistered dogs it makes it easier for thieves to sell dogs on

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    providing no one is individualy named , i cant see any problem , lets not confuse whats offically slander with what are official sacred cow minority groups

Fair enough I agree but the mod has spoken and it would be good to keep this thread open

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Morganna wrote: »
    even better dont buy unregistered dogs .If a dog is registered with pedigree cert and microchip you know the dog isnt stolen.because so many people sell unregistered dogs it makes it easier for thieves to sell dogs on

Certs can be faked though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Also if you see dogs or cats etc. being sold at public markets report them and make a bit of a scene not allowed to sell dogs at public markets now as far as I know.

It makes me so angry that joe soap can't go walk Rover without the fear of the dog being stolen, it seems to be getting worse.

ahaaha wrote: »
    Certs can be faked though
    not if u know what the cert looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Vel wrote: »

I don't know how anyone could take the risk of leaving their dog in their garden unattended while they are out. Its asking for trouble.

What? Are you serious?

engrish? wrote: »
    What? Are you serious?

Dogs have been stolen from peoples back gardens yes. Secure ones at that.
    It's horrible to think that you can't leave your dog out without a small bit of fear for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

star-pants wrote: »
    Dogs have been stolen from peoples back gardens yes. Secure ones at that.
    It's horrible to think that you can't leave your dog out without a small bit of fear for them.

True. Horrible to think of a dog being indoors most of the time too though. Mine would go crazy if I kept them inside. Who would chase away the birds, cats, shadows etc?

On the other hand, my neighbours puppy..... If someone was to break into their garden, steal the metal bowl it moves around the concrete 24/7, and replace it with a plastic one which was superglued to one place on the ground, I wouldnt mind.

Advertisement