Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People stealing dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Crate train your dogs.

Dogs like having a "den" and they go into a kind of a low maintenance trance while they're in there. They require less water and they don't need to wee so much.

This way you can keep your dog indoors without fear of him being stolen out of your garden. As an added bonus, he's likely to be quieter as he'll be conked out rather than possibly annoyed by neighborhood cats, other barking dogs nearby etc.

I've only just started crate training our labrador, Jake, but my parent's lab Gimli absolutely loves his crate.

If you want more info on how to crate train, just pm me. I'm no expert or anything but if I can help I will. No dog should be left unattended in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JoJo1404

Well as previously mentioned about dog theft, our dog was stolen on the 14 July last.

The reason why it is being discussed on the radios as of late is because I have sent so many emails and made so many phone calls to make people more aware and to get my own dog back.

Our dogs were left out on a tuesay afternoon and within the space of 10 mins our female was taken. She is spayed and micro chipped and absoutley worth nothing who wants to breed or sell on. She has a problem with her hips and I have no doubt the people who took her arent giving her tablets for this.

It is not only for ransom or breeding these dogs are being taken. There is another scam going on but people are unsure of what it is. Older dogs are being taken, that have no value for breeding or the owners never contacted again.... this issue needs to be highlighted too...

We did get a hoax call yesterday...and believe it or not there are some seriously sick people out there who actually get a laugh out of tormenting people.

I have posted a lost add on every animal site including lost and foud thread here.

Please keep an eye out for her as we are heartbroken.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

JoJo1404 wrote: »
    Well as previously mentioned about dog theft, our dog was stolen on the 14 July last.

The reason why it is being discussed on the radios as of late is because I have sent so many emails and made so many phone calls to make people more aware and to get my own dog back.

Our dogs were left out on a tuesay afternoon and within the space of 10 mins our female was taken. She is spayed and micro chipped and absoutley worth nothing who wants to breed or sell on. She has a problem with her hips and I have no doubt the people who took her arent giving her tablets for this.

It is not only for ransom or breeding these dogs are being taken. There is another scam going on but people are unsure of what it is. Older dogs are being taken, that have no value for breeding or the owners never contacted again.... this issue needs to be highlighted too...

We did get a hoax call yesterday...and believe it or not there are some seriously sick people out there who actually get a laugh out of tormenting people.

I have posted a lost add on every animal site including lost and foud thread here.

Thanks

what type of dog is it

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thats absolutely terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that. Can I ask, how secure is your garden?

I have two (three at the moment) dogs and it would kill me if they were taken.

• Advertisement

Our garden is very secure.

They managed to open the gates and take the female. My mum came home to find the gate open and the male dog distressed.

We've had a few sightings but still no dog. It will be two weeks on Tuesday.

It is awful and only poeple who have dogs can understand the situation. We are ging mad trying to find her and have so many other people out looking for her too.

Just be so careful where you leave your dogs, its really got to the stage where you cant even leave your dogs in your own garden. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else even though it will but its so important to make people more aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

people with toy dogs, especially chihuahuas need to be particularly vigilant as there's a serious amount of chihuahuas being stolen! Its just sickening that someone can come onto your property and just take your dog!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

engrish? wrote: »
    What? Are you serious?
    Totally serious. Dogs are safer being kept inside when you aren't there. I think people think just because a dog is outside when an owner isn't there that they will spend the day charging around your garden amusing themselves but believe me thats not the case. Holwing, barking dogs in neighbourhood gardens throughout the country is testament to this. A dog will only amuse itself outside for so long and then will soon be as bored outside on its own as it will be inside, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to keep it inside. If he/she gets enough exercise before they are left and is reasonably well trained/behaved you should come to a house thats in one piece :D and you have piece of mind in terms of someone robbing them. You can also leave them with kongs and other toys to keep themselves amused.

I know of two different people who have had dogs stolen from back gardens of terraced houses, meaning the dogs were actually lifted over fences and through other people's gardens to get them out :eek: These dog thieves are full time operators and have the time and patience to get your dog if they want it. I'd rather be safe than sorry personally and I'd much rather have my dogs inside the house when I'm not there and lessen their chances of being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thought this might be appropriate to post here,

Saw a flyer in my vets yesterday. Pedigree puppies, dogs, bitches being stolen in the glanmire and whitecross area.
    Apparently it's a white van.

just to be aware!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Our dog was stolen by "Travellers" in 2005. We had to pay to get him back. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

We had a fake Dog Warden in Sligo for a couple of months earlier this year. He had the van painted and everything.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055508047&highlight=warden

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I read the comment on Friday about the smaller dogs having their teeth removed so that they can't fight back and the thought has not left me since. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Morganna wrote: »
    even better dont buy unregistered dogs .If a dog is registered with pedigree cert and microchip you know the dog isnt stolen.because so many people sell unregistered dogs it makes it easier for thieves to sell dogs on

Not every dog can be registered... only pedigree dogs! And there are so many puppy farmers out there selling cross breeds as pedigrees and promise to send on certs in the post and thats the last its ever heard of. See these feckers know that ppl who are looking for a dog will fall head over heals in love at the first sight of a puppy or dog and they are using emotional tactics to sell these dogs. Pedigree dogs should not be taken home without their certs and papers being handed over on the same day... its a scam otherwise!!!

Its terrible that all these dogs are being stolen and no body other than the owners/family/friends give a crap... i'm sure the guards have a great chuckle at ppl reporting stolen or lost dogs!

Jojo - have you posted your lost/stolen dog on www.irishdogs.ie/forum ??? and there is an irish website dedicated to lost dogs... not sure what the address is, they are on facebook too ... hope your doggie is found!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mactayto

Thanks
    Any harm asking you where you are? I'm a dog owner and also a member of the force who knows whos involved in this type of 'business' in my area. I have recovered some dogs from them in the past. I presume you have reported it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Xiney wrote: »
    Crate train your dogs.

Dogs like having a "den" and they go into a kind of a low maintenance trance while they're in there. They require less water and they don't need to wee so much.

This way you can keep your dog indoors without fear of him being stolen out of your garden. As an added bonus, he's likely to be quieter as he'll be conked out rather than possibly annoyed by neighborhood cats, other barking dogs nearby etc.

I've only just started crate training our labrador, Jake, but my parent's lab Gimli absolutely loves his crate.

If you want more info on how to crate train, just pm me. I'm no expert or anything but if I can help I will. No dog should be left unattended in this country.

Crate-training is a trend and, while it has its merits, shouldn't be taken to extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I saw about fifty dogs and pups running around a halting site near Smithstown a few years ago.

Advertisement