Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retr0gamer........... You're in the well!!

Options
  • 25-07-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is the first of this kind on the games category (excluding poker) and it's only a trial basis. It'll be for all users so if you would like to be featured or would like to nominate someone then PM me.

If you're not sure what it is, you can check DeVore's issue on the poker forum here. It's a basic Q&A. :)

I'll get it started:

Earliest memory of gaming?
    Longest time spent on a game? (other then an rpg, if you play any other game type that is :pac:)
    If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?
    Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yay! Q&A's...

What is the best gaming system in your opinion?

What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?

Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?

What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?

And finally...

What made you allow 'that picture' of Sakura to be taken (won't link for the safety of all those tempted to click links :D It can be found somewhere in the Fighting Games sub-forum)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What was the first game on the PC you played, and what sort of PC was it?

What was the earliest platformer you played on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Which was more humiliating, getting your ass whooped by my 4 year old son on Soul Calibur 2 or losing to a gurl in Sf 4 ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wait, can we get a setlist of say 10 questions drawn up first, a standard list that will be used for each person questioned.

E.g Those combined from Kinetic and Sabres posts, otherwise there'll be scattered posts and questions throughout each thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Earliest memory of gaming?

Playing centipede on a friends atari 2600 and loving it. Never did get an atari :(
    Longest time spent on a game? (other then an rpg, if you play any other game type that is :pac:)

Well if Fallout 3 doesn't count as an RPG then it would be it, I ploughed well over 100 hours into in and there's still more DLC. I usually don't play games excessively, I always need a break. One I do remember playing way too much of was Metroid Prime. I put about 8 hours into it in one session when it was first released. Other than that there's the all night LAN parties.
    If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?

16-bit, definitely the 16-bit era. It was an amazing time for games. The SNES was out, by far the greatest console ever and the megadrive was excellent as well. 2D gameplay was basically perfected and the arcade scene was still alive and well thanks to street fighter 2. PC games were also in their prime thanks to good old Doom. In my opinion gaming was never as exciting or the games as good as 1989 - 1995.
    Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.

A very tough one. I'd really like to mention something like Shadow of the Colossus or Silent Hill 2 to show someone that games aren't as frivolous as they think but the fact of the matter is that they aren't easy games to play. I'd therefore have to go with super mario world because if you don't like that game you have no soul. However there's also the problem of people not admitting to themselves that they enoughed it due to preconceived preceptions. I'd never try and push it on someone who didn't want to, they are the ones missing out.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What is the best gaming system in your opinion?

The SNES, by far. "d gaming perfected. Nintendo were definitely at their peak and released some of the best games ever. There was even some steps into 3D gameplay with the mode 7 effects. It also has a fantastic collection of RPGs and quirky unique games. I really love that machine. I can tell a SNES game just from hearing it due to how beautiful and unique it's soundchip is.
    What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?

Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?

I'm totally indifferent to them and would never go out of my way to get any of them except in very few games like geometry wars 2 were they actually add fun to the game and new challenges. In every other game they just provide challenges akin to grinding in an RPG, not fun at all. I don't hate them since they don't distract from the game but I could live without them as well and never notice them missing. People who actually care about their gamerscore, now thats a different story.
    What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?

All time is tough and I'll regret this later:

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    2. Super Metroid
    3. The legend of zelda: a link to the past
    4. Suikoden 2
    5. Super Mario World

And from the last six months or so I've really enjoyed:

Persona 3 FES
    Bionic Commando Rearmed
    Street Fighter 4
    System Shock 2
    Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
    What made you allow 'that picture' of Sakura to be taken (won't link for the safety of all those tempted to click links :D It can be found somewhere in the Fighting Games sub-forum)

It was for the chemistry halloween party, I usually go all out for halloween so me dressing as a girl isn't surprising it's almost inevitable. Anyway Azza found out about this and wanted to see the picture. My big mistake was showing it to him since it has spread like syphilis.
    the_syco wrote: »
    What was the first game on the PC you played, and what sort of PC was it?

Probably scorched earth on a 386. Played that for hours. It's like worms and just as good. My first PC was a P100 back in 1995
    the_syco wrote: »
    What was the earliest platformer you played on the PC?

Probably commander keen on a friends PC. I spent the time laughing at how bad it was compared to Sonic and Mario and how PC's were crap for games except wolfenstein. Then a few months later I ate my words when I played doom on their 486.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Which was more humiliating, getting your ass whooped by my 4 year old son on Soul Calibur 2 or losing to a gurl in Sf 4 ?:D

I'm not sure but I'd have to say the 4 year old. I was beaten by the girl because of her cheesey blanka tactics of using electricity over and over in the corner. I was beaten by the 4 year old because he was better than me.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

retro couple of questions for ya?

1 whats your favourite game of all time?

2 whats your favourite game at the minute?

3 what console do you prefer?

4 whats your favourite retro console?

5 do you think its acceptable for a little girl to kick your ass in street fighter? lol sorry had to say that since everyone else is!

6 where do you see the console war going in the next 5 years, or how far can development go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

raycaulwell he has answered some of your questions already.
    You probably should read the thread before posting.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    raycaulwell he has answered some of your questions already.
    You probably should read the thread before posting.
    thanks for pointing that out tuxy!:rolleyes:

are you going to add to the thread though? or just troll peoples comments;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It wasn't a troll, seriously he has already answered some of your questions.
    Was just wondering why you were asking them again.

Retro,

Which person from the game industry would you most like to meet and chat to?

You get extra points if its meet Tomonobu Itagaki and he sexually harasses a female intern in front of you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Tuxy/Raycaulwell, STFU. No more off topic crap from either of you. Read the thread before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retro, multi-disc games or big ass DVDs?

Did you feel like a little piece of you dies inside when you bought FFX and never once had to change discs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Retr0,

Is there any game or game series that you would like to see remade/re-envigorated/re-imagined? (I'm thinking along the lines of Team Ninja working on Metroid: Other M, or maybe a sequel to a game you love).

You come into possession of a time machine, a mind control device and limitless funds. You decide to use all of this to have some of your favourite game developers work on a game, just for you. Who would be on that development team? What type of game would they make?

If you could get selective amnesia to go back and play one game again without knowing anything about it, what would you choose?

Retro,

What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?

thanks for pointing that out tuxy!:rolleyes:

are you going to add to the thread though? or just troll peoples comments;)

I had posted about this in my first post, that a standard set of questions should be set out, combining the first 2 set down. So as not to have any of this repeat posting etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

5 do you think its acceptable for a little girl to kick your ass in street fighter? lol sorry had to say that since everyone else is!

I let her win.
    6 where do you see the console war going in the next 5 years, or how far can development go?

Well I see the PS3 catching up and pretty much going neck and neck with the 360. There's probably going to be a major shift from consoles to handhelds and there's not going to be as much of a push to make the more powerful console in the next gen.
    Which person from the game industry would you most like to meet and chat to?

You get extra points if its meet Tomonobu Itagaki and he sexually harasses a female intern in front of you :pac:

Has to be Shigeru Miyamoto. He's made some of the greatest games ever and continues to pretty much shape where the industry is going. He also seems completely oblivious to how important he is so I'd like to find out what goes on in his head.

Itagaki would be fun though although I'm sure it would end in a strip club or brothel :)
    noodler wrote: »
    Retro, multi-disc games or big ass DVDs?

Did you feel like a little piece of you dies inside when you bought FFX and never once had to change discs?

I kind of liked changing discs in the old JRPGs, it seemed like a nice bookend to your accomplishments. I didn't miss it in FFX but it would have been nice to have it mark your accomplishments. It won't stop me getting FFXIII on the PS3 though.
    GothPunk wrote: »
    Is there any game or game series that you would like to see remade/re-envigorated/re-imagined? (I'm thinking along the lines of Team Ninja working on Metroid: Other M, or maybe a sequel to a game you love).

I'd have to go with System Shock 2. If that game just got a remake on the Unreal 3 engine or just brought up to todays standards then that excellent game would have the graphics it deserves.

Also, I keep saying it but please some one bring back panzer dragoon!
    You come into possession of a time machine, a mind control device and limitless funds. You decide to use all of this to have some of your favourite game developers work on a game, just for you. Who would be on that development team? What type of game would they make?

Hmm, tough one. Well what I definitely know I want is a Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack. I'd probably like a game in the nearly dead genre of the 2D shoot'em up. I'd be hoping for something like Einhander. It would be a collaboration between the einhander team, Treasure and the G-Darius Taito team with shigeru miyamotowatching over them all. My only guideline is that it's not a manic shooter. I'd also bring Hideo Kojima in to write the story and some ridiculous set pieces since they would suit the game pretty well.
    If you could get selective amnesia to go back and play one game again without knowing anything about it, what would you choose?

Tough one but probably Panzer Dragoon Saga. I wasn't expecting much with that game but got probably the best game I've ever played. I also would like to experience that ending again fresh.
    What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?

The xbox 360 I'd say. I buy all my 3rd party games on the 360 because I like the controller better, they are marginally better looking and I'm paying for live so might as well get some use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?

What's the best game you've ever played that you have never got around to completing fully?

Speculate, would the gaming industry look any different now had Nintendo allowed Sony to release the CD attachment for the SNES?

What modern game would you love to see retroactively made 16-bit?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A very tough one. I'd really like to mention something like Shadow of the Colossus or Silent Hill 2 to show someone that games aren't as frivolous as they think but the fact of the matter is that they aren't easy games to play. I'd therefore have to go with super mario world because if you don't like that game you have no soul. However there's also the problem of people not admitting to themselves that they enoughed it due to preconceived preceptions. I'd never try and push it on someone who didn't want to, they are the ones missing out.

Good choice with SMW, would recommend that or Sonic 1/2/3, very easy to control the characters.

Do you think the newer generation gamer (under 18) will ever appreciate rainbow coloured epileptic-fit-enducing loading screens or cartridges (nes, snes, genesis)?

A girl (not you in the picture ;)) you bring home is shocked by your games selection and proceeds to call people who are over 12 who play games........"losers", what do you do? Answers such as "if you think my games collection is big you should see........" are not welcome, serious answer please. :)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?

Hmm, that would have to be legend of dragoon on the PS1. It was a supposed final fantasy beater that was massively hyped but what it really was was one of the most soulless and boring RPGs I've ever played. There's also the Darkness which I hated despite a lot of people liking it and Kane and lynch.
    What's the best game you've ever played that you have never got around to completing fully?

Thats a tough one since I always finish a game if I like it. However I just remembered one. I've started Zelda: links awakening and never got around to finishing it, I'll have to sort that. I also never finished a pokemon game despite owning all of them. Must sort that out as well.
    Speculate, would the gaming industry look any different now had Nintendo allowed Sony to release the CD attachment for the SNES?

Definitely. Sony had no plans to move into the console market until Nintendo let them down. They then had a load of researched technology that cost millions that thay had to do something with. The PS1 actually has all the architecture from the SNES in it as a chip. Very closely related consoles. I'd say we would still be looking at a Sega Nintendo race with possibly Microsoft in there as well.
    What modern game would you love to see retroactively made 16-bit?

Street Fighter 4. With gorgeous 1080p sprites and hand drawn and animated backgrounds :)

Do you think the newer generation gamer (under 18) will ever appreciate rainbow coloured epileptic-fit-enducing loading screens or cartridges (nes, snes, genesis)?

I don't think anyone appreciated waiting 15-20 mins for a game to load while staring at those fit inducing lines. I think there is a place for cartridges, no load times :) I'd like to think they would appreciate 2D games but most think they look ugly despite a lot of 16 bit games looking far nicer than something like crysis of gears of war (from an artistic point). 3D games today other than heavily stylised ones are going to look laughable in 5 years time while good sprite work always looks gorgeous.
    A girl (not you in the picture ;)) you bring home is shocked by your games selection and proceeds to call people who are over 12 who play games........"losers", what do you do? Answers such as "if you think my games collection is big you should see........" are not welcome, serious answer please. :)

I actually had this conversation with my ex a few weeks ago. She likened collecting videogames and playing them to collecting barbie dolls. I took a serious amount of slagging, especially when I told her about the street fighter IV meet ups. Some people will never understand so there's no point arguing and it was good natured anyway. I get the same slaggings from my mates in college as well. Maybe thats why she's my ex? Hmm....

Her loss, you're the Jack Bauer of gamers to me.

Still need to work on the gravelly voice.

Still need to work on the gravelly voice.

JackBauer.jpg

"Valkyria Chronicles has a very mature storyline....a gravel gravel gravel"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I actually had this conversation with my ex a few weeks ago. She likened collecting videogames and playing them to collecting barbie dolls

<metaphysical jabberings>

Most people have an interest or passing hobby in something. Whether it be buying movies, music, going to concerts, playing an instrument, engaging in sports... etc. I tend to get "Aren't video games for children?" as well. I'll usually shift the conversation to asking them what the inherent value in their chosen interest is. They will usually rebut with various examples which are easily argued.

But it always boils down to the simple answer that "it brings them happiness and enjoyment"... I then say, in this regard, the activity itself is irrelevant and any prejudices towards it should not be considered. If it brings the person happiness then it should be viewed as equal to that which brings happiness into their own life.

</metaphysical jabberings>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0 did you ever play Dead or Alive for the Playstation 1.

I bet you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Do you ever see the ipod touch/iphone becoming a big gaming platform and going head to head with the DS?

and what would be your top three tips for people who want to start collecting games and consoles?

Hehe, seems like your a big game developer or something being interviewed for a magazine :P

• Advertisement

You're a bit of a Ninty fanboy (no offense :pac:), do you think the wii will spawn any serious gamers by hitting up a new market or will the found wii gamers stick to their wii sports?

Advertisement