Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retr0gamer........... You're in the well!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Retr0 did you ever play Dead or Alive for the Playstation 1.

I bet you did.

Yes I did. Wasn't a fan of it until the Dreamcast. Then teh b00behs got rounder and bouncier. The absolute pinnacle for me was teh melons physics in Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 with each bozzanga moving seperately from the other one.
    Do you ever see the ipod touch/iphone becoming a big gaming platform and going head to head with the DS?

It probably could and the prices are fairly decent but I just can't take it seriously and the whole downloadable thing is still a bit of a hurdle to get over. As it stands there's very few games on it that are worth your while. You certainly won't see a game as complex as the World Ends with you on it. It seems ti will only be for horoscope games and other throw away apps for a while yet but it has the potential to be something bigger. It needs to attract real gamers and it just isn't doing that. I know I have no intentions of buying an iphone becasue I'm too tech savvy to spend over the odds on an outdated piece of technology and because I find mobile phones to be the most boring piece of consumer electronics out there.
    and what would be your top three tips for people who want to start collecting games and consoles?

1) You'd be amazed at what you can find at car boot sales.
    2) Never pay over the odds for a game orconsole unless you really have to have it. There will always be a time when you can pick one up sneakily for a fraction for what it goes for on ebay.
    3) Don't collect games to collect them, collect them with the intention of playing them.
    Hehe, seems like your a big game developer or something being interviewed for a magazine :P

I wish. I'm stuck in chemistry at the moment :(
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You're a bit of a Ninty fanboy (no offense :pac:), do you think the wii will spawn any serious gamers by hitting up a new market or will the found wii gamers stick to their wii sports?

I'd like to think so but realistically I'd say no. The Wii is being bought by a lot of people to be used as a toy. Wii sports and the odd party game and then gets mostly forgot. It could do even more harm than good by making games seem irrelevant and supporting this view in misguided peoples minds. The problem with the casual games on the wii is that they are easy to pick up and understand but there's no real depth there after the initial play. Something like super mario bos. was a better casual game that succeeded in turn millions into gamers. It was simple to pick up and play but had the depth to captivate the audience. I think the DS is doing more to turn people into gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Do you think SNK or SEGA should re-enter the console business?
      • How many fangasms would you have if any of the above happened?
    • How complicated do you think a game should be?
    • Why do you hate on Tekken so much? Were you beaten by a 4yr-old girl mashing with Christie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    • Do you think SNK or SEGA should re-enter the console business?
      • How many fangasms would you have if any of the above happened?
    • How complicated do you think a game should be?
    • Why do you hate on Tekken so much? Were you beaten by a 4yr-old girl mashing with Christie?

1) I would give my left testicle for either company to start making consoles again. The dreamcast was such a good console one can only imagine what wonders we would have been bestowed had it lasted longer than 3 years. The staurn was a piece of crap with a wonderous catalogue of games and the megadrive was excellent despite going up against the besy console ever. I've only recently gotten into SNK fighters but samurai showdown 2 and garou are fantastic and I always loved the 2D goodness the Neo Geo pumped out. It's also the longest running console ever.

The oceans if they were emptyied couldn't contain my fangasms.

2) As complicated as it needs to be really. I love my simple games like Mario and Ouendan but get equal amounts of enjoyment out of complicated games lik System Shock 2 or Mechwarrior 2. I have been getting a little annoyed at the dumbing down of some game genres and the lose of many PC exclusive genres due to the lack of popularity in the PC market. You never see a space or futuristic simulation these days which is why I'm excited for MW4 and it would be great if someday there was ever an FPS as complicated as deus ex or the first 2 thief games. The casual market it killing and stifling very complex games.

3) Because it's ****. More specifically it's icredibly slow unless you are good at it. However the gulf between starting off and being good is ridiculous. It's ok to drunkenly bash buttons to but if you want to play it properly you have to leanr so much stuff it's just stupid, it's totally inaccessible. The combat system is just needlessly complicated unlike the systems of VF or SF which work better despite the lack of complexity. The character designs suck balls as well. It's also stupidly unbalanced at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd like to think so but realistically I'd say no. The Wii is being bought by a lot of people to be used as a toy. Wii sports and the odd party game and then gets mostly forgot. It could do even more harm than good by making games seem irrelevant and supporting this view in misguided peoples minds. The problem with the casual games on the wii is that they are easy to pick up and understand but there's no real depth there after the initial play. Something like super mario bos. was a better casual game that succeeded in turn millions into gamers. It was simple to pick up and play but had the depth to captivate the audience. I think the DS is doing more to turn people into gamers.

Do you think Microsoft/Sony will go down the route of the wii in terms of exceptionally casual games? We don't really know what sort of use Natal (or w/e it is) will get and the closest either have come is by having Guitar Hero/Rock Band on their platforms.

Definitely, sure both are doing their best to attract a casual audience already. I think the Wii was a knee jerk reaction to the success Sony had with the singstar and eyetoy lines. They won't find an audience this generation, I believe it's too late for them but next gen they will be focussing on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

piss on a stick. why am i away up the mountains when there is a thread with the sole prupose of denying retr0gamer going on?

quickfire-
    metroid or megaman ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If you where told that by going back in time and destroying an early prototype of the SNES it would save arcades and they would become as prolific as pubs in Ireland, would you do it? (assuming of course you have a time machine :p)

Jazzy wrote: »
    quickfire-
    metroid or megaman ?

Metroid. While Megaman has the sublime MM2, MM3, MM5 (gameboy) Metroid has a lot more better games and super metroid, one of the greatest games ever made. Saying that I haven't played the MM X games except MM X3.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    If you where told that by going back in time and destroying an early prototype of the SNES it would save arcades and they would become as prolific as pubs in Ireland, would you do it? (assuming of course you have a time machine :p)

:/ I don't think I could really sacrifice the SNES, I love it too much. The arcades my be dead but every so often we get an amazing arcade type game like Gradius V and Street Fighter IV. There's still a niche there. Also I think our little fighting game group is doing quite well replicating the old school arcade feel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Retr0nerd this is your life,

So, isn't it true that you never actually owned a Snes during it's supreme reign, that you in fact, asked Santa for a Mega drive?

How do you explain your inadequacies in the FPS department (the most competitive of gaming genre's I might add)?

Isn't it true you never bothered with gaming classics such as,

Deus Ex
    Mass effect
    Jade Empire
    Fable (1 or 2)
    Crysis
    Oblivion
    Fahrenheit
    Mafia

to name but a few

& mother of all that is evil, you have a unnatual aversion to all things KOTOR!

My fellow gamer's, Retr0 is not the gaming god you all admire. He is a fraud!

How come your too scared to fight me in SF4, eh eh eh?

Praetorian wrote: »
    So, isn't it true that you never actually owned a Snes during it's supreme reign, that you in fact, asked Santa for a Mega drive?

Nope, I only got one relatively recvently but I was there very early for SNES emulation. I actually asked for a SNES and got a C64 then asked for an amiga and got a Megadrive :/
    How do you explain your inadequacies in the FPS department (the most competitive of gaming genre's I might add)?

I'm terrible at them I admit. I just don't have the time to dedicate so much time to getting good at them online and to be honest when people start taking them seriously I don't have fun with them anymore.
    Isn't it true you never bothered with gaming classics such as,

Deus Ex - After System Shock 2 I'm currently in the process of sort this grave injustice out. I'll hopefully be starting into it before the weekend and trying not to die in the tutorial.

Mass effect - I'll give it a go but I utterly detested KotoR, it just wasn't for me so I'm not sure about this. Persona 3 and 4 come first though in priority.

Jade Empire - Again, another Bioware game.

Fable (1 or 2) - Never played them, might get around to it someday but don't fell all that compelled to play them.

Crysis - My PC barely handles left 4 dead, I doubt crysis will even run. It even overheated once when I whispered crysis to it. Anyway I heard it's all flash and no gameplay.

Oblivion - I did try it and it bored me. The dull fantasy setting puts me to sleep. Fallout 3 was way better. Anyway after Fallout took over my life I doubt I want to even try a longer version of it.

Fahrenheit - Tried it, loved it and for some reason stopped playing it. Must get back to it.

Mafia - I've no excuses here. Must play it before the sequel.
    & mother of all that is evil, you have a unnatual aversion to all things KOTOR!

It bored me so much. There was so much dialogue about absolutely nothing and the combat was arse :/
    How come your too scared to fight me in SF4, eh eh eh?

Remember what happened last time you took me on at SF2? I couldn't put you through that again :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Crysis - My PC barely handles left 4 dead, I doubt crysis will even run. It even overheated once when I whispered crysis to it. Anyway I heard it's all flash and no gameplay.

Yes but what a flash :D the first half of Crysis is very good, but around when things start going all blue and white it takes a steep nosedive, leaving a bad taste in your mouth, especially the "...to be continued" ending.

Crysis: Warhead is a lot better in all areas. Pacing, story, game engine optimization. But the best thing about Warhead is the multiplayer Crysis: Wars, most fun I've had online since L4D. I'd liken the DM maps to being as hectic as Quake III.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- Your top/favourite sources for gaming info ?? (websites, magazines, blogs etc)

- Top 3 characters ever ?

- Hottest character ever ?

- The most fun you ever had playing a game ? (i.e Drunken Rock Band, SFIV Tourney ? etc)

-People say that PC gaming will die out, what do you think ?

-What do you make of Project Natal and the PS3s equivalent ?

Right folks, we're going to try and get 1 of these started every week or 2.

I've changed the nomination process slightly. Whoever was in the well gets to choose who goes next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Good thinking ;)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    - Your top/favourite sources for gaming info ?? (websites, magazines, blogs etc)

I find Kotaku by far the best place to get gaming news. I also used http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ a lot since their forums are excellent and usually a lot of news that interests me appears there. I've totally lost faith in any game review site however due to all the 10/10 reviews for overhyped and undeserving games like MGS4, GTA 4 and Halo 3.
    - Top 3 characters ever ?

Tough one.

1) Luca Blight (suikoden 2): Having experienced System Shock 2 I still think he is by far and away the best game villian ever. A totally ruthless bastard but yet you can't help but feel sorry for him.
    2) Rosie (Valkyria Chronicles): I've a real soft spot for strong female characters and this one really stands out. Very strong willed and I love how she changes and develops throughout the game. She's also a damn good singer.
    3) Maya Fey (Pheonx Wright): As both a comic character and an emotional centre point for the game her character was excellent. I just fell in love with her being a total clown but having a lot of depth to her.
    - Hottest character ever ?

Even tougher!

I'd have to go for shanoa from Castlevania order of ecclesia or Koudelka from Koudelka. Phwoar!
    - The most fun you ever had playing a game ? (i.e Drunken Rock Band, SFIV Tourney ? etc)

I've been to a few lans that have been great fun, particularly old school half life deathmatch bit the best has to be drunken bomberman 93. We can play that game all night and usually leads to big arguments :)
    -People say that PC gaming will die out, what do you think ?

There's no way it will ever die out. I think we will see less and less games on the system, mostly console ports but the fact of the matter is that the PC is by far the best place to play multiplayer games like FPS, RTS and MMO's which are all selling really well still on PC. It's also the best place to get indie games due to ease of development. I think if the piracy issues ever get sorted out sales will go up again. Games companies I think really need to look into creating solid multiplayer experiences with their games and infrastructure that needs a sign in to make people buy their games.

You also have to remember that a mid range PC makes the current consoles look like a gameboy. PC will totally outclass consoles soon and we will see a few companies taking advantage of this with some PC only exclusives.
    -What do you make of Project Natal and the PS3s equivalent ?

It's too little to late. These peripherals need to be bundled with every console when they are released or they won't make that big an impact. Just look how long it took people to switch over to the original dual shock. I think the wii has the casual market effectively sown up and MS and Sony will not be able to match nintendos price point when these peripherals do come out.

I also think they won't add anything to the experience of traditional games.

1) What are your opinions on the 'fall' of Nintendo from one of the greatest producers of games to the childish, girly pish they churn out now? (I mean, they used to be fairly cutesy, for the japanese market i presume, but I mean, "my horse and me"?.....c'mon)

2) Worst sequel ever?

3) a)Ryu or Ken and
    b) Scorpion or Sub-Zero?

4) Opinions on what half-life 3 is gonna be like?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

sorry if asked before:

1. What are the most expensive/rare games (or consoles) that you own?
    2. Do you own a cd-i, and what do ya think of them?
    3. What's the most you ever shelled out for a game?

1) What are your opinions on the 'fall' of Nintendo from one of the greatest producers of games to the childish, girly pish they churn out now? (I mean, they used to be fairly cutesy, for the japanese market i presume, but I mean, "my horse and me"?.....c'mon)

They still make great games. Well on the DS at least. But yes it's a terrible shame what has happened to them. On the SNES, N64 and Gamecube their output was absolutely stellar but now all their teams are working on casual games for the Wii which means we are getting far fewer original and franchise games which is a crying shame. I hope they cop on sooner or later but it seems to be working for them, just look at the budgets that got released recently. Also my horse and me isn' a nintendo game.
    2) Worst sequel ever?

There's plenty probably the worst was Double Dragon 3 in the arcades that springs to mind. The most disappointing for me were MGS4 and Sparkster. I loved rocket knight adventures on hte megadrive and sparkster on the MD was crap while the SNES sparkster was excellent. MGS4 is an absolute mess of a game. Poor gameplay and a disgrace of a story, how they got it so wrong after MGS3 is beyond me.
    3) a)Ryu or Ken and
    b) Scorpion or Sub-Zero?

a) Ryu
    b) Mortal Kombat is a dreadful series so gets no recognition from me.
    4) Opinions on what half-life 3 is gonna be like?

An FPS? Honestly I can't say especially with Valves habit of breaking the usual conventions. I'm sure it's going to be amazing, although they might finish the story with episode 3.
    Redlion wrote: »
    sorry if asked before:
    1. What are the most expensive/rare games (or consoles) that you own?

I have a PAL verison of Suikoden 2 which goes for an awful lot of auction sites and Panzer Dragoon Saga although it isn't boxed.
    2. Do you own a cd-i, and what do ya think of them?

Nope. I'd say it's an awful console.
    3. What's the most you ever shelled out for a game?

I spent 80 euros on Suikoden 1. I also spent about 160 on Xenogears but that was because I had to buy it twice because the first one I got was scratched to bits and didn't work :( I tend not to spent crazy amounts on games and anyway the money isn't going to the original developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retro,

what's your favourite handheld game?

Also if you have three Pepsis and drink one, how much more refreshed are you?

Retro,

what's your favourite handheld game?

Also if you have three Pepsis and drink one, how much more refreshed are you?

Definitely the DS. It's quickly turning into one of the greatest consoles ever and will probably surpass the snes as the best console ever.

As for the Pepsi one, well if I had a pepsi I probably wouldn't be that refreshed, just wishing it was the real thing.

• Advertisement

The DS is your favourite handheld game? Wow, that beating from the 4 year old really has you dis-orientated! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Not handheld system, retro but handheld game like super mario land.

So what's your favourite?

Oops should have read that properly. I'd have to say it's Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! It's probably the best rhythm action game ever and the only one I've beaten on the hardest diificulty. Have to love the cheesey j pop soundtrack as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

love this thread! :D

a quick 1st question:
    ultimately, woman or gaming?!if you can only bring 1 of them to aboard Noah's Ark go to a better world,which 1 would be your choice?

2)as a gaming guru, after spending all these years in gaming ,do you have any gaming regrets?

3)will you go online to read some game news while waiting your flight in the airport?

more will come when i got the time to ask more question!gotta catch my flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

What was your first thought when you saw you were the first to be placed in the crosshairs for questioning?

Do you read / buy gaming magazines?

What do you think is the future of magazines seems as most of the content can be found online and all demos / videos are?

What announcement from E3 are you most looking forward to getting your hands on?

You are on an island - assuming all essentials are taken care of (food, clothing, water, women!) - what five things do you bring with you?

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Speaking of the utterly classic Ouendan!... Where do you think they went wrong with the sequel? (and not the bastardised, Americanised "sequel")... Sure they added some nice features, but it just felt like a big pile of "meh" to me.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    a quick 1st question:
    ultimately, woman or gaming?!if you can only bring 1 of them to aboard Noah's Ark go to a better world,which 1 would be your choice?

A woman unfortunately but I'd moan constantly to remind her about what I've given up :)
    2)as a gaming guru, after spending all these years in gaming ,do you have any gaming regrets?

Yep, not having a SNES when it was out at the time and not having money during the 16-bit era, missed so many good games that I'm only discovering now. Also regret never having a decent PC that stayed up to date for more than a year, missed out on loads of great games. I'm currently going back to playing a load of old PC games that I missed out on first time around, next up is my biggest gaming regret, Deus Ex. One big regret is doing science after school instead of trying to get into videogames. Now I'm stuck in a horrible PhD. Follow your heart kids!
    3)will you go online to read some game news while waiting your flight in the airport?

Not while waiting for a flight, I have my DS to keep me company. However if I'm on holidays I usually end up having a look on line about 3 times a week to catch up.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What was your first thought when you saw you were the first to be placed in the crosshairs for questioning?

I thought it would be kind of fun actually!
    Do you read / buy gaming magazines?

I used to get Games TM but it's gone a bit crap especially with the reduction in the retro section and Edge every so often but regret it when I do since it ends up infuriating me. One magazine I used to always buy was Retrogamer magazine but can't seem to find it anymore and when I do it's buried in one of the bigger easons. I think magazines have gone way down hill. I used to read magazines not just for the news but because they were pretty funny. Magazines like Commodore Format, Super Play, Sega Power, Amiga Power Gamesmaster and Arcade etc. used to have all the news you wanted but a great sense of fun and really enjoyable to read. Even EGM despite being 75% ads was excellent until it went downhill and was retired. Most magazines like Games TM and Edge are very sterile and not much fun to read and other magazines are just rubbish. The closest we have is NGamer but unfortunately it's only for Nintendo games. I think the magazines should concentrate on good interviews and articles but also give them a sense of fun that older magazines had like Arcade. I know I'd rather be reading an issue of sega power than eurogamer or kotaku. Fair reviews would also be nice, there's far too much underhandedness going on.
    What do you think is the future of magazines seems as most of the content can be found online and all demos / videos are?

See above :)
    What announcement from E3 are you most looking forward to getting your hands on?

It really didn't interest me that much this year. It's mostly just sequels with very little thats new. I find myself looking forward to handheld games and downloadables more. Anyway for the consoles Uncharted 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are at the top of my list along with Bayonetta which I have no doubt is going to be amazing especially for a DMC fan like myself. I'm also eagerly awaiting anything about a new Shin Megami Tensei game! :)
    You are on an island - assuming all essentials are taken care of (food, clothing, water, women!) - what five things do you bring with you?

Hmm. Laptop would be one. If I'm only allowed one console it would be the Saturn (got the snes covered with emulation :) ). My car, it was broken down for a week and only got it back yesterday and it reminded me I can't live without it. Can't think of anymore so **** it, my DS and PS2.
    tman wrote: »
    Speaking of the utterly classic Ouendan!... Where do you think they went wrong with the sequel? (and not the bastardised, Americanised "sequel")... Sure they added some nice features, but it just felt like a big pile of "meh" to me.

Definitely the music. The first game just had manic J-pop that was really fast and suited the game well. There were way too many slow songs and ballads in the second game. It's the same with EBA. The crappy music like S8ter Boi and September worked really well while stuff like David Bowie just didn't. The exception was Jumping Jack Flash which is a classic and suited it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hmm. Laptop would be one. If I'm only allowed one console it would be the Saturn (got the snes covered with emulation :) ). My car, it was broken down for a week and only got it back yesterday and it reminded me I can't live without it. Can't think of anymore so **** it, my DS and PS2.

What a pity you forgot a TV. Mwahahahaha (been working on my evil laugh in quite a few threads now :S)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Have you ever sent in a stongly worded letter to a games magazine?
    If so, what was the topic?

• Advertisement

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have you ever sent in a stongly worded letter to a games magazine?
    If so, what was the topic?

Only once and it got published. It was to digitiser (RIP) and it was complaining that Squaresoft released FFIV FFV and FFIV in europe but never gave us Chrono Trigger like they did in the US.

Advertisement