If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price comparison

Options
  • 25-07-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if you have anything similar in size/spec to this TV, and what price they would be? Open box is fine.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155000/
    Price: £479.99

Display

* Screen size 42" 16:10
    * Super High Definition VGA 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
    * Aspect ratio 16:10
    * Contrast Ratio 1200:1
    * Brightness 500 cd/m2
    * Viewing Angle( L/R/U/D ) 85 / 85 / 80 / 80 by panel
    * Response time 6ms
    * Supports 1080p Signal (This TV is Full HD)

Tuner

* Digital Switch Over ready
    * Tuning system DVB-T(MHEG5) / PAL
    * Antenna impedance VHF/CATV/UHF 75Ω unbalanced
    * Number of channel 100(Analog), 400(Digital)
    * Common Interface Digital topup channel compatability

Sound

* Automatic Volume Level Control
    * Balance
    * Speakers x 2
    * Audio power ≥2*8W

Connections

* RF TV/CATV 75ohms coaxial x 1
    * Video In Video:RCA 75ohms composite video x 1
    * S-Video In
    * YPbPr component input x 1
    * PC In HDMI / DVI / VGA
    * Audio In L/R RCA-1 for S-Video or AV x 1
    * Scart x 2 supporting RGB/CVBS in, CVBS out
    * HDMI x 3 supporting 1080P input

The 3 year warranty, 42" screen size and full HD resolution are the main things I'm concerned about. Would mainly be used connected to a computer. Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Perfect,

To be honest we would not stock anything like that TV anymore - whilst I don't get hung up on Contrast Ratios - these days any 42" that is only 1200:1 contrast ratio really is not at the races - you really should look at an absolute minimum of 20-30,000:1

Also the viewing angle on this TV is quite poor and again this is a critical measurement and finally it does not appear to have MPEG4 on board.

I know it's a fail jump in price but if it was me I would go for the Philips 42PFL5604H which is 50,000:1 Contrast ratio / Vastly superior viewing angle (178 V80 degrees!!!) and it's MPEG4 as well - we are selling this on a promotion at £599.95 at the moment and it would be a much better proposition!

Finally Who are Foehn & Hirsch???

Thanks again for the enquiry and please give me a shout if I can assist in any way!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hi John

I was looking at that TV as it really is low budget - Im just looking for something to tide me over until OLED technology takes off.

I was under the impression that after about 5000:1, contrast ratio differences are just splitting hairs?

Mpeg4 wouldnt matter as it would only be connected to the computer and a couple of games consoles.

The viewing angle is 85/85/80/80 l/r/u/d which makes it 170 horizontal and 160 vertical overall, which isn't too bad.

I haven't a clue who Foehn & Hirsch are either :P

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you guys in mind if my budget increases a bit.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Perfect,

Thanks for that - as I said I'm cynical when it comes to Contrast ratio as well especially when they are quoted by Manufacturers - however 1200:1 really is poor and should probably be avoided unless it's for a seriously secondry TV!

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.