Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card without chip

Options
  • 25-07-2009 1:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I rarely use my credit card (Mastercard) for anything other than online purchases.

As it happened, I was in Tesco today buying a few things so I decided to use my credit card to buy a few things, using the Automatic Express Checkout.

I inserted my card into the keypad thing, but it told me that it could not read it because the card has no chip. I just used cash to finish the transaction.

So I take it that I can only use it places that accept Mastercards by swiping the magnetic strip. Do many places allow this or is nearly everywhere using Chip and Pin technology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Most places use chip and pin now and it protects them from fraud. Retailers are open to liability with the old system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

So I take it most places use chip and pin and not both? That's slightly inconvienent as I'll have to carry around cash with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So I take it most places use chip and pin and not both? That's slightly inconvienent as I'll have to carry around cash with me.

No most places use the chip and pin, some retailers will let you sign it but no guarantee. Cant you get a new card from your card provider that has the chip and pin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Who issued your card?

The banks guarantee to pay the retailer for any transaction processed via chip and pin. Hence, most irish cards now have this chip. If a retailer accepts a signature instead of a pin number and the transaction is fraudulant, then the retailer will not get paid.

This is why a lot if not all stores, only accept pin numbers on chip and pin cards.

The only cards I see coming in now without a chip are belonging to tourists and some old irish permanent cards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's an old BOI card - I rang them and they said they can issue me with a new chip and pin card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement