Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe in the garden leaking

Options
  • 25-07-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyine tell me what this pipe is? it seems to be in line with where the gas boiler / central heating in the kitchen is. Its leaking every day and destroying my grass, it only seems to leak in the morning, for 3-4 hours. We havent used the central heating in around 2-3 months I'd say.

Comments

If your boiler is the other side of the wall it could be your discharge pipe for the valve on the boiler that releases the pressure if it gets to high, if you have a sealed heating system the pressure guage on the boiler will show a decrease in pressure, if you have a auto filler or if your boiler is tank fed then the water that's leaking from the boiler will be replenished, you would have to get out a heating engineer to identify why it's leaking, it's always best to replace the valve if it has leaked encase there is a lot of dirt on the seating, if the boiler isn't on the other side of the wall then disregard the above:D, Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

gary71 wrote: »
    If your boiler is the other side of the wall it could be your discharge pipe for the valve on the boiler that releases the pressure if it gets to high, if you have a sealed heating system the pressure guage on the boiler will show a decrease in pressure, if you have a auto filler or if your boiler is tank fed then the water that's leaking from the boiler will be replenished, you would have to get out a heating engineer to identify why it's leaking, it's always best to replace the valve if it has leaked encase there is a lot of dirt on the seating, if the boiler isn't on the other side of the wall then disregard the above:D, Gary.

Gary has pretty much summed it up. It is a problem you must address as your heating system could be taking in constant fresh water. This will cause internal corrosion and in most cases I find the boilers heat exchanger will suffer first and can leak. Depending on the boiler model this can be an expensive replacement.

I see this problem happening through out all of Ireland and many people leave it unaddressed. Should your grass have not been damaged maybe you might have let the problem to continue. Call Bord Gas as you may have some maintenance costs covered within the charges or call a certified gas service person.

Might need a replacement safety valve as the rubber in the seal can become brittle over time, or a slight piece of dirt may have become lodged in the seal. The reason why you only experience the problem at the said time could be due to higher water pressure at that time and your boilers filler is directly connected to the mains and permanently open. Could be a few other reasons as to why its leaking but best call the appropriate person mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Great stuff, cheers folks, think its time to invite my plumber mate over for a bbq and a "oh by the way""!!!

Great stuff, cheers folks, think its time to invite my plumber mate over for a bbq and a "oh by the way""!!!

If your mate plumber hasnt obtained the service certs issued by bord gas and makes any altercations your no longer covered by bord gas's insurance should anything happen within your heating system or gas supply.

It used to be a case were you could make alterations un noticed but now the regulations have tightened up. I am just mentioning this as there could be a problem later on down the line and these un registered alterations may be found by bord gas which will effect your case.

Also you should call your mate around for a BBQ because he's your mate, my mates try it all the time but we plumbers tend to smell the "would you like to call over for etc.." rat a mile away. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

ah i'm only messin, we pay him during normal hours for any work he does. Will have to get everyone to bring the auld umbrellas for the bbq by the looks of things though!

• Advertisement

ah i'm only messin, we pay him during normal hours for any work he does. Will have to get everyone to bring the auld umbrellas by the looks of things though!

That looks funny if you remove the bbq at the end of the sentence. Sounded like your mates a bad plumber if you get me. Have fun either way and check he has the gas certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its a boiler vent without seeing the other side.Assuming so Get it fixed as soon as possible. If your heating has not stopped working yet it will soon

Advertisement