Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 to include rival browsers....

• 25-07-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Windows 7 to include rival browsers such as Firefox, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer !

Are Microsoft getting desperate ?

Why give them with the OS if we can just download them anyway ?

Would they have tweaked the browsers to work better with 7 ?

Which do you MAINLY use ? ( I use Safari on windows 7 )

I think its a good idea if they were made to work well with 7 ;)

Which browser do you use ? 93 votes

Internet Explorer
    0% 0 votes
    Mozilla Firefox
    8% 8 votes
    Apple Safari
    61% 57 votes
    Opera
    6% 6 votes
    Google Chrome
    3% 3 votes
    Flock
    18% 17 votes
    Netscape Navigator
    0% 0 votes
    Maxthon
    0% 0 votes
    Camino
    1% 1 vote
    Konqueror
    0% 0 votes
    Sea Monkey
    0% 0 votes
    Avant
    0% 0 votes
    iCab
    0% 0 votes
    sputnik
    0% 0 votes
    Amaya
    0% 0 votes
    Conkeror
    0% 0 votes
    AOL Explorer
    0% 0 votes
    OmniWeb
    1% 1 vote
    Phoenix
    0% 0 votes
    Other...
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You forgot lynx :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I use Firefox, but I would always have IE installed also, and use IE Tabs within Firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Poll should be multiple choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Or else just select the browser you would use the most as I assume most people would use more than 1, or have at least 2 installed.
    Well at least people in IT or with an interest in computers would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

There is a presumption in the poll question that one uses only one browser... Perhaps the question should be "which is your main browser" or else give the option of multiple answers. At the moment, every Windows user HAS TO use IE to perform Microsoft Update tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just give us IE and Firefox...screw the rest of em.
    Let Apple + Opera plug their own browsers.
    Next thing we'll hear is users saying "win7 sucks...why ship it with all those broswers bloating it up" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I use Chrome mostly and firefox for when i need its add-ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

robbie_998 wrote: »

How do you download without a browser?

(I'm aware there are ways of doing it but nothing Joe Public can handle easily)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I love Chrome. Don't bother with plugins - they're great and all, but I travel between different computers too much to get into them, although there are some I've used before that I'd love to be in Chrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Firefox 99% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Seifer wrote: »

Some enthusiasts wrote scripts before the poll decision came about. FTP (or wget ;)) would probably be doing the work behind the scenes.

ethernet wrote: »
    Some enthusiasts wrote scripts before the poll decision came about. FTP (or wget ;)) would probably be doing the work behind the scenes.
    You can't read text in brackets or....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

well im sure no matter what happens IE will always be in every Windows OS

You can't read text in brackets or....?
    :rolleyes: *sigh*
    As in, there would be a graphical front-end to it, using FTP or similar. This UI would be usable by "Joe Public". Have a look on some tech sites for mock-ups.

:rolleyes: *sigh*
    As in, there would be a graphical front-end to it, using FTP or similar. This UI would be usable by "Joe Public". Have a look on some tech sites for mock-ups.
    First of all, having to google around and find something like that is beyond Joe's capabilities.
    Secondly, if you're downloading something, why not just download the browser you want instead of a script to download the browser?

First of all, having to google around and find something like that is beyond Joe's capabilities.
    But the IE-less version of 7 would ballot users from the get-go without having to install anything else beforehand. It should just be one extra step for users and not cause much confusion if done properly. No web searching necessary :)
    Secondly, if you're downloading something, why not just download the browser you want instead of a script to download the browser?
    Well there's no need if the above happens. There was uncertainty surround how the browser would be downloaded without a web browser pre-installed, possibly requiring downloading on another machine and copying it to the browserless machine for installation. If one knows the absolute URLs for the latest stable releases of their favourite browsers off-hand, fair enough. Otherwise, it might be best to just download a script and let it pull a copy of the latest version of the desired browser down for the user.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My guess is that OEMs will likely install a browser automaticly on new pcs, for example the likes of Dell, HP etc pre-loading Adobe Reader on most new pcs/laptops, from what I gather Microsoft will make a program which will have shortcut links on the computer, which will download Internet Explorer when the user agrees to it, I also think it will come through Windows Update aswell if the user agrees to install it

Nick

But the IE-less version of 7 would ballot users from the get-go without having to install anything else beforehand. It should just be one extra step for users and not cause much confusion if done properly. No web searching necessary :)
    I'm not talking about what they are actually implementing. I addressed one of the OP's original questions which was:

ethernet wrote:
    Well there's no need if the above happens. There was uncertainty surround how the browser would be downloaded without a web browser pre-installed, possibly requiring downloading on another machine and copying it to the browserless machine for installation. If one knows the absolute URLs for the latest stable releases of their favourite browsers off-hand, fair enough. Otherwise, it might be best to just download a script and let it pull a copy of the latest version of the desired browser down for the user.
    First of all I'm aware of what the situation was and is in regards to browsers and Windows 7 in Europe.
    Secondly, that is a truly bizarre paragraph as it leaves me asking the same question it was supposed to answer. If you can remember the script's url then why not the browser's? If you download the script and copy it onto the new Windows 7 image, why not just download and copy on the browser exe?

To address yoyo's post:
    They have already announced how they'll do it.

I'm not talking about what they are actually implementing. I addressed one of the OP's original questions which was:
    But, from the article you linked and others, it would appear all the competing browsers are not actually being bundled with the OS. That would be nothing short of bloatware and require multiple security updates from multiple pieces of software. What about those without an Internet connection and who need to parse HTML documents? Not everyone is in a position to download a browser in the first place!
    First of all I'm aware of what the situation was and is in regards to browsers and Windows 7 in Europe.
    Secondly, that is a truly bizarre paragraph as it leaves me asking the same question it was supposed to answer. If you can remember the script's url then why not the browser's? If you download the script and copy it onto the new Windows 7 image, why not just download and copy on the browser exe?

To address yoyo's post:
    They have already announced how they'll do it.
    It's very clear really -- I don't see what the issue is. There is now for end users to remember URLs no need with the ballot screen (in addition to some scripts). This can download and install the desired browser and make it the default.

What about those without an Internet connection and who need to parse HTML documents? Not everyone is in a position to download a browser in the first place!
    From the article I linked, IE 8 will be present, the ballot screen will give you an option to download and replace IE8 as your default browser.
    It's very clear really -- I don't see what the issue is. There is now for end users to remember URLs no need with the ballot screen (in addition to some scripts). This can download and install the desired browser and make it the default.
    I know there is no reason to download either a browser or a script now.
    To reiterate, I was querying the OP as to how one was supposed to obtain a browser without a browser which was the case until they announced the ballot option (which in reality they were always going to have to do as having no browser would've been a PR nightmare if end users actually had to deal with it).
    I fail to see what point it is you're making.

• Advertisement

That's just it -- we were both on the same page the whole time! Handbags down now. :pac:

However, I don't believe IE will be present: the application itself will not be distributed but part of its rendering engine will be (in Windows Media Player) and as a critical dependency for other programs. This is going on the information MS tech journalist Paul Thurrot and others have been providing in the past while.

Advertisement