Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with program files transfer

Options
  • 25-07-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

How're ye lads.

Need some advice/help/the kitchen sink

basically my windows xp C: drive has had a system32/config error.

I tried repair/recovery but it does not seem to work to fix the problem.

I have original xp cd and everything.

What i am trying to do now is install a new xp install on a new partition (f:)

I want to be able to keep all my old games/game data and documents but looking for advice on the best way to do it.

If i drag all user data to the new windows install should my games work normally and able to access my data/saved games etc.

If you understand what i am trying to do some advice would be great and the easiest way to do this.

Thanks,
    boggy.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It depends. Some apps may work but othere may make modifications to the registery or system folder and not work.

What kind of machine is it?

I remember with Dell XP disks when you want to do a repair install you had to proceed past the repair (recovery console) option and instead go into the setup XP option and then you get the choice to repair from there. Very odd but works.

Back up your data before you do anything. Get an external harddrive and boot a knoppix linux live CD and use it to copy/paste the contents of your C drive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Back up all your personal data, wherever it is - C:\Documents And Settings, C:\Downloads, C:\ <<search for all *.sav files>>. I hope you kept the original downloads for any apps and mods you have installed! Then do a full format+reinstall. Sucky but the safest option if the OS installation has disintegrated into a small puddle :o

And I'd delete all those identical threads you've just posted before the mods do it for you, and give you a good clip 'round the lughole for it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i dont know why the same post came up twice. ill try and delete it if i can.

thanks for the advice anyway lads.

What i did do was reinstall windows over the old windows directory. I never knew this option was there in the format section.

So what has happen is that i got my new windows installed and all my old user data is still there. The problem is that the newer games will still have to be installed but alot of the other games are fine. Just have to create new shortcuts etc.

happy days anyway. There were a few other install bugs to sort out but nothing serious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Agree with Solitaire. Once your windoz starts playin up, there's only one way to properly fix it. Am currently reinstalling/reimaging at least once every 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

I'll vouch for Knoppix.
    Easy as pie and free to boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Agree with Solitaire. Once your windoz starts playin up, there's only one way to properly fix it. Am currently reinstalling/reimaging at least once every 6 months.

:confused: I'm happy if I last 6 weeks, let along 6 months ;P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oh dear... we have a necrophiliac on the prowl... :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement