Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Poker Commentators

Options
  • 25-07-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Just been watching some Irish Open 2009 Poker on Pokertube and I must say that Channing is the best poker commentator I've listened to by a country mile.

His insight into the game & his understanding/knowledge comes through in spades.

I always come away from listening to him having picked up some useful information.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Yep, a different class to anyone else I've heard do it.
    Lets hope he goes El Busto soon so he has to do it full time :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Gape Kaplan is the best!

Proof is below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Rocky Balboa 2

Jesse May imo

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Channing is great, so is reymer though. I probably spelt reymer wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jesse May imo

Level?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

mdwexford wrote: »
    Level?

god I hope, Gabe ftw!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ali Nejad, cause he keeps his mouth shut, the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭baz2007

channing is the man and knows how 2explain it for tv,raymar pretty good also.LOL. Jessie may and padraig trying 2turn it into comedy show when nothing is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

baz2007 wrote: »
    channing is the man and knows how 2explain it for tv,raymar pretty good also.LOL. Jessie may and padraig trying 2turn it into comedy show when nothing is happening.
    And thats what makes them the best imo. Its great fun to listen to them even if you are not a poker fanatic. Vince Van Patten cracks me up with comments like 'what a poker face, he looks absolutely miserable at the table' and this one where he does a fake dive and heart attack type thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Guess it all depends what you want to get from listening/watching poker commentators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I quite liked the guy who did the WSOPE last year I think.

His name isn't coming to mind straight away, I know his nickname is Mr Omaha and he's something something the third.

I thought he was funny and knowlegable!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Robert Williamson? ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

CHD wrote: »
    Robert Williamson? ugh.

I liked him! in a goofy kind of way at least! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Vince can be damn pretty hilarious at times.

I used to enjoy the WSOP commentators, but now they are brutally unfunny. (perhaps they always were).

Gabe is king, AJ Benza is a good straight man.

I wouldn't mind hearing Mike Sexpiss commentate on something different to WPT, WPT is just soo dull to watch.

Ali Nejad can't even say Joe Hatch-ems name correctly, I dunno how he got a job commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭j10spades

neil channing and gabe kaplan are the best i think..they make a show enjoyable to watch

mike sexton is good with his knowledge and enthusiasm for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Gabe Kaplan is funny, used to be a stand up I think. There's a clip of him doing a comedy central roast on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Yea Gabe did stand up aswell as a sitcom,nothing wrong with Jessie May and Raymer.The fella who does Poker After Dark has not a clue whats going on.Annette Oberstad was very good I thought.

Not bothered checking the spelling of names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭karpov33

Neil Channing was very good at the Irish open .The worst is that dick on espn for the wsop

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think channing is good in terms of theory, and how to get it accross for tv.
    But it appears to be a little nitty in some of his comments (didn't see this years Irish open, so may not apply there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

i admire mike sexton for his fine work in attempting to level the american public into raising / check raising every time they flop a pair to find out where they stand. well played mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Neil Channing, Vicky Coren, Matt Broughton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

really Vicky I found her very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Ya its Channing and Van Patten for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 paler

gotta like brarry greenstein and phil hellmuth as commentators,

lol at jessy may, his constant fake laugh is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

It's hardly fake if it's his actual laugh.

Justin Bonomo did some commentating for PKR and it was fine. So did Lee Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Nobody mentioned Ashley Hames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nick V

Annette Obrestad with Jesse May in the upcoming Party Poker Women's Open is one of my highlights of the year. In familiar with Channing its great to hear someone who has real opinions on how to play and real success that makes you want to listen. Annette is a great foil for Jesse and doesn't let him get away with anything...

My highlight is Annette's response to a typically banal comment from Jesse: "what are you talking about? you really have no clue do you!?!" Pure Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Must check that out, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I remember listening to Grub Smith and Norman Pace (of Hale and Pace) commentating on a tournament. Can't remember which one but the expression God-awful was too good for these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

Jesse May is my favourite, very entertaining, I like Hellmuth in the booth as well as Devilfish, JC Tran not bad either, that guy on PAD is a joke, all he ever says is "More on PAD after we return".

Advertisement