Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age holding me back

Options
  • 25-07-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi Guys,

Hope I can get some advice in here. I'm 24 year old guy who has been dreaming of learning to play piano since my mid teens. For various reasons I have never actually gone as far as starting to learn...many of which may sound ridiculous but are real to me none the less.

Firstly I have been in full time education for the past 5 years which has been my main priority but now I am about to begin a phd for the next 4 years and I'm starting to think that my more structured routine makes it the best opportunity i've had to learn to date.

Secondly my age is really stopping me from taking the first steps. I just think that no serious piano teacher will have an interest in sitting with a 24 year old and starting from square one (and I mean square one as I have never played any instrument before). I know it may sound silly but the thought of doing a class with a piano teacher that a 6 year old kid probably did an hour before and so much better is kind of intimidating.

I'm just wondering if any posters here have taken up piano as an adult and how did it work out for you...or if other people could offer advice on getting started....

I really want to learn...all I keep thinking is that if I started when I first got the urge then I'd have 8 years playing under my belt...but thats still not enough for me to overcome the nerves! :(

Thanks guys,

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Wrote the following about 18 months ago in response to similar post. Am still at it. Comfortably playing pieces Grade 5 and 6 now, and there is more than enough good music at that level to keep me happy. Was 32 when I satrted again, effectively a complete beginner despite the biref spell at it as a child.

Do not at all be put off by your age. Whether you could reach concert standard, earn your living from it, etc is a different story. Check out the controlversial J O'Conor thread. But simply as a passtime, definitely go for it.

(Am sure there are teachers out there who would be delighted to take you on if you want to go that route (just dont ask JO'C)).

Sandwich wrote: »
    Can only comment on my own experience but possibly not dissimilar to your situation. Had played piano(to an insignificant level) for 2 years as a child but was happy to give it up. Hitting my 20s though and started to think I would like to give it a go. Did nothing about it for 10 years however.......

Then bought a digital piano (E2500 ish), chosen over an acoustic due to the family, neighbour and self esteem benefit of being able to play with earphones. Music knowledge before starting was inferiour to your own, but could follow a score and listen to a lot of classical music.

Had in mind to go for lessons but just started playing and found myself making progress that was satisfactory to me without doing so. Still at it 3 years later and enjoying it. Delighted i did eventually get one. Comparing myself to some kids going through the grades, am probably about G4 but am sure I am playing with technique faults that professionals would disapprove of. But its only for my own entertainment, no ambitions to entertain, teach, earn diplomas etc, and have built up a small repertoire of 12-15 peices that give me good enjoyment to play. Generally working on 2 or 3 new pieces at a time, probably averaging 3 or 4 cumulative hours per week. Out of copyright scores easily availble free on the net (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc) that interested me with fingering normally marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Indeed, as Sandwich said, czech this out:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055554034

(read the bit with my brother. Playing cello for only 3 years and is now studying in the RIAM, at 22. I'm so proud of him! :) )

me, I was 21 when I started piano and music, now going into a final year year degree in music, aged 24. Did my grade 8 this time last year at 23.

Age is not a factor, I don't care what J O'C said. Commitment and drive is the key and a focused outlook on it. Well, thats if you want to do it in a short amount of time.

I mean, in contrast I always feel my first year at piano was my most beneficial, when I was relaxed, had no grades and was just doing it for the fun.

I suppose it depends on what you want! :) But whatever that is, there is no reason to not start. Especially the teacher thing, the majority will love to have you because you will do your work, will have a mature attitude and won't cry when they give out to you!

Playing piano is without a doubt the most rewarding experience I've ever had in my life. So, I'm going to be a bit of a bully......

WHAT THE FECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR!??!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Age is so not a factor, if anything, you're doing it because you actually want to learn and because you have an interest in it - not because your mammy is making you go (as in my case, although I'm so grateful to her now!) That's a real advantage, and you'll progress a lot faster because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I absolutely agree with all the above sentiments. I have some students who began much later than you and have made fantastic progress. I know many others who reach a high standard within a few months of beginning. All you need is perseverence and a will to succeed and you will do well. It really is that simple. :)

Contact me if you need help finding a teacher... You're right in saying that not all teachers will take on adult beginners, but that's mostly to do with that silly John O'Conor mentality. In my experience they are often the most rewarding students to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

/Thinks
    /Strokes chin
    /Taps computer monitor with pencil

Needs bigger letters tbh. It's a good point.
    Doshea3 wrote: »
    that silly John O'Conor mentality.

Fuck John O' Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Im 19 and always wanted to learn how to play the piano!, tried a few online lessons but didn't get much out of it only the basic beginners stuff!

I feel the same way as you on your point of a 6-year-old getting lessons an hour before you LOL!

But the post above me are making me think difo and hope your going to go ahead and learn!!!

Oh if you find a good teacher that perferable cheap let me know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Discostick—Go for it! I have a student who began less than a year ago at the age of 20 and is now about Grade 5/6 standard. As I said, all you need is perseverence and the desire to succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rice_crispy

Indeed, as Sandwich said, czech this out:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055554034

(read the bit with my brother. Playing cello for only 3 years and is now studying in the RIAM, at 22. I'm so proud of him! :) )

me, I was 21 when I started piano and music, now going into a final year year degree in music, aged 24. Did my grade 8 this time last year at 23.

Age is not a factor, I don't care what J O'C said. Commitment and drive is the key and a focused outlook on it. Well, thats if you want to do it in a short amount of time.

Playing piano is without a doubt the most rewarding experience I've ever had in my life. So, I'm going to be a bit of a bully......

Trust me its a question ive asked myself time and time again! Thanks for all the replies guys....its great to hear some reassurance from experienced people! Also great to read the John O'C thread and see nobody agreeing with him!

To be honest I just want to be comfortable enough that when I find a piece of music I like...be it classical or otherwise, I can sit and make a good stab at it...for my own pleasure. I do think I will do the riam exams but in time, my main motivation is just the love of the instrument and enjoyment.

Ill have a look online and see if I can find some possible teachers! Discostick...Ill be in touch with my progress!

Anybody know of any good adult teachers? PM me if its not too much trouble (In the south dublin - Dun Laoghaire area)

Thanks y'all

Advertisement