Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for an economic printer...

• 25-07-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

So my printer packed in after a few years. Best just buying a new one.

Anyone know what printer has the cheapest cartridges out there? Was looking at a few HP printers, but the ink works out at about 50 quid for 11ml of Black and Colour...and you only get about 200 pages out of that amount I reckon.

So. Any recommendations?? Something decent, for printing college reports and the odd photo; nothing majorly detailed. Inkjet for around 50 - 90 or so would be what I'm looking at. Main thing is; cheap and easily available cartridges!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I know Kodak were advertising themselves as the most economical (for general use, not just photos).

Otherwise, would you consider a laser? You can pick up pretty compact greyscale laser printers for not that much these days, and you'll get thousands of pages of printing out of them. Will look much better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

snappieT wrote: »
    I know Kodak were advertising themselves as the most economical (for general use, not just photos).

Otherwise, would you consider a laser? You can pick up pretty compact greyscale laser printers for not that much these days, and you'll get thousands of pages of printing out of them. Will look much better too.

I had considered it, but while I don't do an awful lot of colour printing, I do enough to warrant a colour printer. I found a decent colour laser for about 150, but the cartridges are 50 a piece (that's 200 all in all), and then you've toner on top of that. I know you get a fair load of prints, but it's still a little rich for my blood.

Kodak you say? Can't say I've seen a whole load of their everyday printers around. Know any models I should have a look at??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

There's one in Lidl on Thursday, for €75 (€57 if you go up north). Scanner/printer combined, includes cartridges. 2 year guarantee. HP C4480. Reviews on Amazon look ok.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090730.p.HP_Photosmart_C4480_Printer

You can get ink refill kits that would seriously reduce running costs. If you're looking online for printers, look carefully to see exactly whats included; I've noticed that often the cartridges and USB cable aren't included, so you'd need to factor these in as well (and usually they will suggest a USB cable at an extortionate price!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

So my printer packed in after a few years. Best just buying a new one.

Anyone know what printer has the cheapest cartridges out there? Was looking at a few HP printers, but the ink works out at about 50 quid for 11ml of Black and Colour...and you only get about 200 pages out of that amount I reckon.

So. Any recommendations?? Something decent, for printing college reports and the odd photo; nothing majorly detailed. Inkjet for around 50 - 90 or so would be what I'm looking at. Main thing is; cheap and easily available cartridges!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance :D

Brother Dcp 135c, now selling as 145c. 4 seperate cartidges. Cost of printer to buy is about 100euro. Cost of cartridges on ebay for 3-4 complete refills about 20euros plus postage costs. Quality of print = excellent.

Overall running costs = about 5 euros per complete refill using cartridges bought on ebay.

I have refilled my own cartridges with an ink refill kit. Running costs in this case = approx 1.50euro per complete refill, quality of print is still excellent. I have a Hp printer rotting away in a back room because it costs more to refill than it cost.

The only downside of this printer is it does tend to jam. Experience has taught me to be just v.careful on how I load the paper.

Ps it is a printer, scanner and copier. If you want instructions on how to refill then ask away. I tend to just buy the cartridges on ebay from a good supplier. If you're interested then I'll show you how to refill with kits. I have done this and it worked perfectly.

Advertisement