Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price on rewireing phone line?

Options
  • 25-07-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

Just need an estimate on the cost to rewire the phone line in the house so i can get a better connection with dsl broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A little more information would help any. From where to where?
    How may points etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

yea sorry, well there is the main socket in the hallway and 1 in the computer room about 5m from the main

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So at the moment you have a main point , say in the hall & you want to wire from that into you computer? Is that all?
    Probobly €50

well i dont know where the bad wiring in the house starts so i dont know really, but i thought it would all have to be all rewired from wherever the main socket comes from

So is your line not coming straight into the hallway?

• Advertisement

yes it is , but you said from the main socket to the computer, but i want all the phone line in the house rewired

So how many points & locations of these?

Sorry if I am missing something here. But thats what I said earlier
    you have a main point , say in the hall & you want to wire from that into you computer? Is that all?
    Probobly €50
    If you mean 3 in total probobly between €70-€100 depending on the other cable run

ok thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For best DSL performance, I'd put the router beside the NTU and then run cat5e to where ever it is needed.

+1 Good advice

would anyone be interested in doing this job in navan area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

i think your problem is with your eircom cable coming into the house how old is your house you mite want too change that before doing anything else

im told around 30yr old, is that a big job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

the best thing you can do is ring your phone provider and ask them too up grade your phone line best way foward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not the best thing. The provider (eircom) will be more expensive when it comes to internal wiring, and the wire that eircom provides to the master socket is rarely the problem. If the bill is with another company (BT etc), then it will be torture getting them to do something if there isn't a fault with actual calls. They have to contact eircom on the customer's behalf.

They don't "upgrade" phone lines for the sake of it if they can't see a fault. And changing the wire from the master socket to the pole or manhole without permission, is an offence under the postal and telecommunications act 1983, as it's property of eircom. (I don't think eircom or their servicemen really care about changing the master socket or the wire up to the external cable perhaps, but beyond that, you're talking about ladders and poles and DPs etc.)

Advertisement