Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Max amperage from cigarette lighter

Options
  • 25-07-2009 5:51pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I have a small PC that I was going to fit into my Car to play around with. I was just wondering what the max amp's you can pull through a cigarette adapter are. It's a 04 Toyota Avensis and the little PC's mains adapter has an output of 12 Volt 5amp. I tried it in the car and it works fine, boots up no problem, I just don't want to run the risk of burning wires with continued use. Also, if I decide to put this PC in the boot (very little room under the seats) what gauge cable should I be using and would it be ok to extend from the rear adapter or should I run back to the bonnet and put in it's own fuse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check the fuse for the cig lighter and see what rating it is.............I'd say it'll be more than 5A so you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mostly those fuses are 15A. As I recall my wifes Verso is 15A so probably same in Avensis. Check fuse as already suggested in manual

• Registered Users Posts: 65,310 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote: »
    Check the fuse for the cig lighter and see what rating it is.............I'd say it'll be more than 5A so you should be OK.

+1

5A at 12V means a max power output of 60W. This really isn't all that much. If your fuse is 15A then I wouldn't worry about using your car pc all the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

just be carefull as most cig lighters run off the alternator and the faster the engine revs the more voltage it pumps out mine at 100kmph is over 15v always safer to run direct to battery and fuse cable

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Funny you say that about the voltage, I was wairy of that so just building a regulator here at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement