Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .223 Rifle

Options
  • 25-07-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

which .223 rifle would you have if money wasnt a issue
    best in terms of accuracy above all else

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

This, http://www.benchrest.com/youngrails/ or something like it.

If that isn't what you had in mind you should have put the question better. Accuracy usually isn't as important as people make out, but practicality is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

haha ok point taken i was thinking more like remington 700, cz550, sako 85 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

ONLY ACCURATE RIFLES ARE INTERESTING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

if it were me it'd be a ruger no.1 varmint , the blued steel and walnut one, not the stainless one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

SIG 550 sniper model please:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

davy_b wrote: »
    haha ok point taken i was thinking more like remington 700, cz550, sako 85 etc

Cz don't do a 550 in .223, your thinking of the 527 and I am happy enough with my 527:
    DSCF1077.jpg

The reason why?

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

NO douth Clive J would tell you he's happy with his and Dwighet Would be happy with his.

But I fear if Bunny shooter were here he would say the most accurate .223 rifle was infact a .204 :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

FS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I were buying a varmint gun in .223, I've a feeling I'd go for a Savage BVSS off the shelf. However, someday, I expect I'm going to buy a project gun to make frighteningly accurate, and I've a funny feeling it'll probably be a Remington action in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If I were buying a varmint gun in .223, I've a feeling I'd go for a Savage BVSS off the shelf. However, someday, I expect I'm going to buy a project gun to make frighteningly accurate, and I've a funny feeling it'll probably be a Remington action in it.

A good choice IWM but at 10lb and with a 26" barrel you will just about get it off the shelf and you won't do much lugging with it around the field.

And yes I'm very happy with my CZ Varmint so here's another photo of it.

10052009114.jpg10052009121.jpg

Federal V-Shok 40gr (on a good day). 3 groups @300m

12042009059.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Clive, as is, I lug an 8kg free rifle with a 26" barrel around the fields. 10lb is like a pistol in my hands. :p Nah, I quite like a heavy rifle. One thing about most sporting rifles is for my money, they don't have enough weight up front to stay steady for a considered shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

careful Griz, your not allowed to say the S word in this forum.:rolleyes:

anyway had a few shots of a Tika T3 tactical, serious bit of kit but its an awfull lot hevier than the lite which i own and love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Cz don't do a 550 in .223, your thinking of the 527 and I am happy enough with my 527:
    DSCF1077.jpg

The reason why?

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

NO douth Clive J would tell you he's happy with his and Dwighet Would be happy with his.

But I fear if Bunny shooter were here he would say the most accurate .223 rifle was infact a .204 :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

FS

Sorry FS my mistake , the 527 is what i ment and shes a beauty if you could go back would you buy the same gun ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yes definitely, it's got an action which was built to the size of the .223 cartridge and whilst trying a friends Tikka T3 lately the difference between the pull on the bolt was massive. With the Mauser extractor claw I can control the ejection of the case a lot better( slowly and it just hands it to me) than the plunger type which chucks them 10 foot what ever way you open the bolt which is not good in the field.

Their just a lovely gun to shoot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aidog

hate to dig up an old thread but im interested to know more about the cz 527 .223 fish slapped has

i was looking to get a cheapish cz hornet,but after alot of people saying dont(supposedly hard to shoot with)

id like to know how much the 527 .223 is new,and another info is much appreciated

A good choice of rifle even if I say so myself.

The CZ 527 comes in many different configurations but all will have the same action and nice set trigger. Have a look at the CZ US site for the different ones
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/centerfire-micro/

Not all will be available in this country, The American is a good rifle to get it has a good stock, stay away from the Lux models as they made are for open sights with the drop type stock. Next are the varmint models.

You'll have to ring around the dealers for prices and stock.

American model
    2751855cddef71da8949b35a7a75e2d3.png

Varmint model with heavy barrel, it comes in 3 different stocks
    d347bde9b8c47ca1abcd3fcb70c141f6.png

My CZ 527 Varmint in Kevlar stock all set up for lamping with a LED torch attached.
    12052010026.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

aidog wrote: »
    hate to dig up an old thread but im interested to know more about the cz 527 .223 fish slapped has

i was looking to get a cheapish cz hornet,but after alot of people saying dont(supposedly hard to shoot with)

id like to know how much the 527 .223 is new,and another info is much appreciated

What is your budget?
    For the one (527 Kevlar) that Fish Slapped, Clive and myself have they are around €1100-€1300. They are probably the best of the range as it has a 1:9 twist and will be able to shoot the heavier bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Interesting choice but ill see your Sig and raise you a Les Baer custom .223 Super Match :):)

SIG Definatly has the WOW and rarity factor (along with the price tag)

But id like a Les Baer (since i cant have 1 of his pistols this will have to do )

dev110 wrote: »
    What is your budget?
    For the one (527 Kevlar) that Fish Slapped, Clive and myself have they are around €1100-€1300. They are probably the best of the range as it has a 1:9 twist and will be able to shoot the heavier bullets.

The extra you paying for is the Kevlar HS Precision stock. The laminated version has the same profile and handles/feels the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Sorry I feel I have to jump in here and say. The best .223 rifle you can get is the one that feels right and works for YOU.

Having said that my rifle is the best.
    cfbf6894.jpg

Tikka tac .223
    20" barrel
    T8 mod
    Harris bi pod
    And 55gr hornady v- max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Best .223??
    Watch this space ;)

thanks for the reply clive,ill have a look at that website you posted

• Advertisement

dev110 wrote: »
    What is your budget?

oh the budget would be around 1000,i was in looking at the remington 700
    this model http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr.aspx it was around the 950 mark,but got a bit of a slating on here,ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

aidog wrote: »
    oh the budget would be around 1000,i was in looking at the remington 700
    this model http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr.aspx it was around the 950 mark,but got a bit of a slating on here,ha

That Model is discontinued
    What you think of this?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-vtr-atacs.aspx

yep i wouldnt say no,i must inquire at the local shop about it

spotted this online,i wounder would it be any good,the yanks seem to think so,but maybe cant get them in ireland?

http://www.savage-rifles.com/item/48813_Savage_Arms_Rifles_Shotguns_Stevens_17744_200_BA_Rifl.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Best .223 .......................... any one you rebarrel to .204 Ruger :P

We are still waiting to see some results from your .204.
    Do you shoot it at all or is locked up in a glass case for you to look at and tell us all how great it is. :p

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    We are still waiting to see some results from your .204.

So am I :o Was at range the weekend but was shooting .303 and didn't get time to fire .204 :eek:

Not sure when I'll get there again or get a chance to zero her the way things are going with work etc :(

Rest assured I will show off here once I do though :p
    poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Do you shoot it at all or is locked up in a glass case for you to look at and tell us all how great it is. :p

My secret is out :(;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i was wondering if this was possible, would you have to change the bolt, or are the cases the same diameter

:p
    declan1980 wrote: »
    i was wondering if this was possible, would you have to change the bolt, or are the cases the same diameter

No the bolt would be the same :cool:

You could rebarrel from/to .223, .222, .204 Ruger and/or .17 Rem :eek:

declan1980 wrote: »

Don't do it Declan. Don't go to the dark side. :D

• Advertisement

Declan ................... come................to................the ................. light :)

Advertisement