Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

academy dublin

Options
  • 25-07-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

hi does anyone know what the academy is like as a venue?...I tried to see if this topic had been spoken about before and I didnt see anything
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Hi - I was there recently for James....
    Good venue - stage is wide so the 650 or so downstairs are all fairly close.
    Looked to be good craic upstairs too
    Sound was a bit dodgy at times, but can't say if that was an issue with the venue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnMac93

I was there for a rise against gig not long ago, great venue but I found the sound was a rather dodgy also, it seemed far too distorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I was there for The Courteeners a while back and personally think it's a great venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Upstairs is great. Downstairs notsomuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭camero

was there for the killers last year it nice for 650 in it going there at the end off next now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Saw The Enemy there a while back. Was a quality gig. One of the better venues around imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

I was there for The Courteeners a while back and personally think it's a great venue.

disappointed I missed that gig. are they going to come back soon?

I've been to The Academy a few times and really like it. What's the story with upstairs? I've managed to get up there a couple of times but I've a feeling that it's VIP or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

jph100 wrote: »
    I've been to The Academy a few times and really like it. What's the story with upstairs? I've managed to get up there a couple of times but I've a feeling that it's VIP or something

For MCD gigs it seems to be a replacement for a pit.

I like it, I think the sound is pretty good, saw Steer Clear's last gig and The Kerrang! Tour there, sound was grand, even for BMTH who play in Drop B (Or lower) the entire time (Meaning I dont think it over distorted or anything).

It will never beat Temple Bar Music Centre (Wasnt the Button Factory at the time) for the Alexisonfire gig, it was just the PERFECT size, perfect sound, perfect atmosphere for a gig. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jph100 wrote: »
    disappointed I missed that gig. are they going to come back soon?

Hope so, I've seen them twice, once in the Academy and once at Oxegen last year and the Academy gig was so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

I was at the Academy for Rise Against back in February. It's a great little venue; holds under 1000, I'd say around 600-800ish people. Everything seemed alright. I saw a few people complaining about the sound in this thread, but I managed to get to the very left of the stage right next to the band so the sound was great for me. ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Have been to The Academy a number of times and really like it. The back area by the bar being raised is great if you want to stand about, have a drink, enjoy the music and the atmosphere. Nice and cosy venue! Never had a problem with the sound either (well, support acts but very few of them have amazing sound for their sets).

Only been in the downstairs once - Innerpartysystem. An interesting experience. Very, very small. Not the greatest view from a few spots and all on the same level so pray the 7ft man isn't there! Sound was ok (as far as I can remember). There is also a dipped ceiling above the stage so don't expect to see too much jumping :D

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Upstairs is a great venue, can't really say anything bad about it.

Downstairs isn't really a good design for a venue... the 6 or so pillars in the middle of the floor aren't exactly helpful when it comes to seeing a band. They might be supporting pillars or whatever, but there must be a way to work around that... only the front three rows can see everything, and that's if they're right up on the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I don't like it for the fact that all the gigs i want to see there are over 18s :pac:

I don't like it for the fact that all the gigs i want to see there are over 18s :pac:

That's one of my favourite parts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Seen a few gigs there, really good "cosy" venue. Never been upstairs with the nobs (do you have to pay for that priveilege ?), but downstairs always been good vibe (although never stuck behind a 7-footer so far !). Bar is basic and functional - usually even the smallest will be able to get served - never heard anything bad sound-wise, and you are really close to the action. I would say 500-600 max makes this best venue in Dublin I have been to. My recollection is like either the Astoria or that mad place in Soho that burned down in the 80s (I think).

Been to most other major venues in town, and this rates as the best in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bobby boots

My favourite venue by a mile. Make your way up on the right and your within touching distance of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

what's it like for wheelchair access?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

thegeezer wrote: »
    I would say 500-600 max makes this best venue in Dublin I have been to. .

The capacity is 850

(do you have to pay for that priveilege ?).

For MCD gigs it takes the place of the pit, so you queue up and get a wristband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

what's it like for wheelchair access?

Quite good actually. Elevators going to all floors & wheelchair accessible toilets on 3 of the four floors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have been to many a great gig in the venue. Found the size perfect. The bar is well serviced too and you won't be left waiting for two long.
    However (;)), I was there for Amanda Palmer last September on a Saturday night. She was playing one of her quieter songs and you could hear the club downstairs. Very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mckennap

The Academy is one of my least favourite venues.

Upstairs is fine. Nothing more. Saw Glasvegas there and it was packed to the rafters. My gripe that night was they only played for 50 mins. But can't blame that on the venue.

Downstairs is truly awful. Tiny stage squashed in the corner of the room. Low ceiling, no elevated area, large pillars obstructing the view. Noisy bar area. Basically it's a DJ venue that's used for small gigs.

Saw both Okkervil River and Frightened Rabbit play downstairs. And each time it felt as if the band had to battle against the restrictions of the venue.

Frightened rabbit fared better. Still the lead singer made a point of playing some of the encore in the middle of the crowd - by way of an apology for the pillars blocking some people's view.

Rant over....

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

McKennap just read this (three years late i know). Been to loads of giggs and never once been obstructed by a post - can't think where you must have been standing cos once you get to standing area it is fully open ?

BTW - worst venue EVER is the O2

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

McKennap just read this (three years late i know). Been to loads of giggs and never once been obstructed by a post - can't think where you must have been standing cos once you get to standing area it is fully open ?

I think its the best venue in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

I think its the best venue in Ireland

Yeah the contrast between how bad the Point was and the job done on the O2 is dizzying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

seen countless gigs there, worked probably more, sound varies where you stand, upper floors are pretty decent if you want your space, remember seeing bloody beetroots there and the crowd was disgusting so nipped up there and it saved the gig personally, sound isnt whopper up there, as for the downstairs venue, academy 2, its alright, as good as any venue for that capasity, cant really complain, not much selection in dublin. personally it gets in all the bands i like so i love the place, on bar with tbmc, and wipes whelans away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Totally agree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the village... step back to far and it sounds like they are playing in a dustbin

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Care to expand on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

the village... step back to far and it sounds like they are playing in a dustbin

Agreed, if you're under the balcony, forget about it.

Advertisement