Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network recommendation.

Options
  • 25-07-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

As usual I need your expert help. My home network has died upstairs. My setup is as follows.

Downstairs: NTL 20m line into a Wireless (free supplied) G router. I've got my ps3, wii and ntl box running off this router. Also 3 laptops. This continues to run with little or no problems.

Upstairs : I have a Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT firmware installed. I have a desktop and an xbox360 wired into this. I have set this up as a bridge and sucessfully ran this for at least 6 months.

But yesterday, I lost connection to the internet upstairs to both the 360 and the desktop. I could still get internet on my laptop from the router downstairs. I tried to get access to the linksys via ip address, but no success. So I reset the router to factory settings. I could get access via wireless but not via cat5. I'm thinking my router is fried. So I decided to upgrade the whole network. Go 'N' router downstairs and my big problem is what to do with upstairs. I prefer wired to dongles or adapters. I'm not sure what to buy though.

Can anybody offer any suggestions. I spent a fruitless 2 hrs in pc wurld to no avail. They have a limited supply of goods and even fewer salesmen that have any knowledge of the subject. They just want to flog you the most expensive gear in the shop and have done with it.

Thanks in advance,

Pukey.... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Just to clarify, did you have upstairs and downstairs wirelessly bridged with WDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pukeohontas

I'm not sure what you mean by wds, but see if this answers your question. I used the upstairs linksys wrt54gs in client bridge mode as a conduit for internet and media sharing to downstairs. I hope that answers your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

You can get an N router or another G router and flash it with DD-WRT and use client bridge mode again and it should work fine. I think DD-WRT is supported on some D-Link N routers and the Buffalo WHR-G300N is nearly supported but doesn't seem to support the Client Bridge option yet. Remember that using G clients on N will slow down the N clients.

Advertisement