Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Credit Card License.

Options
  • 25-07-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

3 year License

What percentage of renewals do you think under the old 1 year license had some kind of clerical error, processing the license. Had you ever incorrect information printed on your license requiring it to be amended at the station. Typical errors
    as follows.

• Wrong pulse number error.
    • Incorrect firearm identifying number error
    • Wrong firearm maker's name error
    • Caliber error
    • Wrong name and address / failure to process address change error.
    • License not stamped error
    It is reasonable to believe these type of clerical errors are common place and still will occur under this new 3 year license.
    The manual format worked, amendments to a license previously were easily corrected locally; this is all set to change when the credit card sized license is issued. Similar to electronic voting, what looks at first- hand to be progress made modernising with a smart system, can often hit unforeseen / forceseen difficulty once made operational . The ease of amending errors is evident using the old licensing method of paper and ink. "If the new license card" is not user-friendly and infact may be the cause of many more problems than it solves; then this will not be the modernising of the system as intended!

Credit card license V European Pass / Passport page booklet.

Credit cards do suffer from wear and tear, fact.
    They are small enough to be easily misplaced
    Any clerical errors / changes will require the processing of a whole new application.

European Pass / Passport page booklet are used by millions of people as the most suitable form of document to produce to state officials on request. Should it not be the same for firearm-owner identification. Using this system all your firearms can be listed / processed in one practical booklet. Amendments are once again made easy fulfilling what supposedly is an updating of the system. Wanton waste of many unnecessary pages of paper work not relating to the most common firearm holder in the country, the farmer's shotgun. (seperate shotgun application forum in the uk ) does question the logic of this new license in credit card size.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Many of the errorrs on the old system were caused by the fact that the applicant in many cases didn't fill out the form. I know that in the case of two of my licences and three substitutions I didn't even see the form other than to sign it.

This time we all get the form, so any mistakes will most likely be our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Have to say I never had a problem, hopefully it'll stay the same touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

rrpc wrote: »
    Many of the errorrs on the old system were caused by the fact that the applicant in many cases didn't fill out the form. I know that in the case of two of my licences and three substitutions I didn't even see the form other than to sign it.
    I agree with you 100%. I never completed my own forms. "Sign here and we will do the rest" was all I was told. Thankfully there were no mistakes.
    So will the forms be sent out with the extension letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I got my first licence recently and it had that I am a member of a club which I'm not and told the guard at the time, I gave him permissions, what should I do??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

When applying for a .22 LR rifle 5 years ago I filled in the application form stating calibre ....licence came back stating it was a .22 Hornet.....I pointed it out to FO ....he said it'll be amended on renewal.....pointed it out at renewal & it was scribbled on renewal....came back .22 Hornet....have pointed it out at each renewal & has come back incorrect each time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%. I never completed my own forms. "Sign here and we will do the rest" was all I was told. Thankfully there were no mistakes.

So will the forms be sent out with the extension letters?

Same here just signed the form, this resulted in me only being allowed to possess 100 pellets. There was also a mistake with the serial number, the one on the licence does not correspond to the barrell of the rifle. The FO has been on leave so I had to write a letter explaining everything, and hopefully he will get it today.

I must have gotton one on the shortest licences ever, issued on the 13/07/09 expires on 31/07/09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have 4 pulse id numbers and my date of birth is wrong on one .
    the new licence will be a night mare .

do we expect any thing less from this incompetent police force we have.

expect the worst from them and they will not be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

At least you will get the free extension.

I got my first rifle licence on the 21st of June a few years back. Only had 6 weeks shooting before I had to pay again. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Lads unless you have genuine error figures this is allot of hot air. I have 5 certs and no problems to date. The complexity of the system is being reduced and there fore the potential for error. Anyone want to point out ANY system in this country that dosn't produce some precentage of error? Have any of these erros cause anyone a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

yes when sending a euro pass to the uk for a visitor's permit as age and numbers did not match.

just because you did never have a problem dont dismiss every one else.
    were dealing with firearms and our police force ,not a tv licence

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    yes when sending a euro pass to the uk for a visitor's permit as age and numbers did not match.

just because you did never have a problem dont dismiss every one else.
    were dealing with firearms and our police force ,not a tv licence

And just because you have had a problem don't assume that everyone else has.

Yes is firearms licensing but as I asked already have any of these errors actually been a problem for anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Rew wrote: »
    And just because you have had a problem don't assume that everyone else has.

Yes is firearms licensing but as I asked already have any of these errors actually been a problem for anyone?

Post #10 you asked same question and in post #11 jw has just confirmed he has had a problem and you ask the same question in post #12 ?

What am I missing ?????????????

I have had the wrong information come back on licences fortunately it has not caused me any major problems so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Lads unless you have genuine error figures this is allot of hot air. I have 5 certs and no problems to date. The complexity of the system is being reduced and there fore the potential for error. Anyone want to point out ANY system in this country that dosn't produce some precentage of error? Have any of these erros cause anyone a problem?

Re the complexity of the system: I would think it is more complex now than it was before. 9 documents per firearms application plus two photos with each one, plus club membership letter and or lands permissions, complexity of the system reduced I don't think so.

Re percentage of error, this is a fact of life, people make mistakes, I think the original question is not so much that errors can and will happen but the complexity of correcting them is going to be a major problem. It will no longer be a situation of going to your local FO and have him correct it.

Re your comment (hot air) that's your opinion and does not help to solve or answer the question of firearms holders that have concerns /worries about the new system.

I agree with the original poster the system could have been made much simpler.

A question for you Rew, if a person has 5 firearms and has 9 documents for each firearm application and now has to supply 10 photos, 2 per application where is the logic in this especially when none of which are going to be on the new plastic license.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

Re the complexity of the system: I would think it is more complex now than it was before. 9 documents per firearms application plus two photos with each one, plus club membership letter and or lands permissions, complexity of the system reduced I don't think so.

Re percentage of error, this is a fact of life, people make mistakes, I think the original question is not so much that errors can and will happen but the complexity of correcting them is going to be a major problem. It will no longer be a situation of going to your local FO and have him correct it.

Re your comment (hot air) that's your opinion and does not help to solve or answer the question of firearms holders that have concerns /worries about the new system.

I agree with the original poster the system could have been made much simpler.

A question for you Rew, if a person has 5 firearms and has 9 documents for each firearm application and now has supply 10 photos, 2 per application where is the logic in this especially when none of which are going to be on the new plastic license.

Sikamick

Exactly :cool: That sums it up pretty much. No amending paper licence in Garda station now. We will have to send off whole lot again :mad:

Post #10 you asked same question and in post #11 jw has just confirmed he has had a problem and you ask the same question in post #12 ?

What am I missing ?????????????

I have had the wrong information come back on licences fortunately it has not caused me any major problems so far though.

That was my fault for answering while doing a few different things missed that.

That was my fault for answering while doing a few different things missed that.

Aw, that's ok, there's always people here to correct your mistakes :p

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I've only had one error, that was on a Europass (the rifle is a Walther KK200 in .22lr). In fairness, my local FO sorted it out very quickly.

86098.jpg

I wonder how another country would respond if I turned up at the border with a howitzer with "Walther 149" stamped on it? :D

IRLConor wrote: »
    .......I wonder how another country would respond if I turned up at the border with a howitzer with "Walther 149" stamped on it? :D

Love to see ya shoot 3P with that :p See I even have the lingo now :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Love to see ya shoot 3P with that :p

If I had one, I reckon I'd have to take up shooting from (a very reinforced) bench. :D
    See I even have the lingo now :eek:

:eek:

Will whoever hijakcked bunny shooter's account please give it back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I had one, I reckon I'd have to take up shooting from (a very reinforced) bench. :D

:eek:

Will whoever hijakcked bunny shooter's account please give it back! :)

I reckon I'll have him shooting standing and kneeling only in a year, canvas and leather jacket and trousers out in the field to keep nettles at bay, no bunny within 700 yards safe as long as he has five minutes and unlimited sighters to take the shot.

• Advertisement

.............Will whoever hijakcked bunny shooter's account please give it back! :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The issue of bunny in leather when going shooting just keeps coming up so here's the photo again ;):D

Bunny.jpg

:D:D FS

The issue of bunny in leather when going shooting just keeps coming up so here's the photo again ;):D

:D:D FS

My, I have lost weight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

And shaved your belly ;):D

And shaved your belly ;):D

Didn't stop at me belly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

as a matter of interest, has anyone / sport bodies got a look at the new license before it's put in the post. what's the material used to make it. plastic paper / cardboard, what details will be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    as a matter of interest, has anyone / sport bodies got a look at the new license before it's put in the post. what's the material used to make it. plastic paper / cardboard, what details will be on it.
    I saw it, it's cardboard and if you get a hole in you'r boot it comes in real handy.
    17006.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sikamick wrote: »

A question for you Rew, if a person has 5 firearms and has 9 documents for each firearm application and now has to supply 10 photos, 2 per application where is the logic in this especially when none of which are going to be on the new plastic license.

I heard about the nine forms per firearm... my buddy has a combination of eight firearms, that's 72 forms, 16 photos...... he's going to be writing for a bit then... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Trojan911 wrote: »
    I heard about the nine forms per firearm... my buddy has a combination of eight firearms, that's 72 forms, 16 photos...... he's going to be writing for a bit then... :D

Trojan, it's one form which has nine pages. Not all the pages will need to be filled out. Some are for Garda use and some would be for different firearms.

So if he's got eight firearms, he's got eight forms to fill out.

Chinese whispers aint in it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Trojan, it's one form which has nine pages. Not all the pages will need to be filled out. Some are for Garda use and some would be for different firearms.

So if he's got eight firearms, he's got eight forms to fill out.

Chinese whispers aint in it :eek:

Nine documents some of which you will fill out and some will be completed by the Garda, nine pages per application, not Chinese whispers, Department of Justice information.

This is still nine pieces of paper x your number of firearms plus club membership letter and or letters of land permissions, plus two photos per application which will not be on the license. The license will not be a business card type it will be a laminated credit card size document.

This is not Chinese whispers, smoking mirrors, rubber dolls or what ever else turns you on rrpc, this is from the DOJ and FPU yesterday.

Information/Misinformation is rampant within the shooting sports, no leadership and division is all we see. There is a large number of shooters/hunters/farmers that are not members of clubs/associations that haven't got a clue as to what is going on re the Mis Bill / three year licenses.

Why haven't the NGB's posted on their websites or sent sample copies of the license application documents and license for their membership to see.

Please comment rrpc.

Sikamick

Advertisement