Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kings of Concrete 2009 - Photo Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

These two while I'm at it;
    8C9C82C13A724B69B53228E3A1343125-500.jpg

AAA35F63A71A4D659C18BA5F38318BF7-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Here's a few more from Saturday. Left natural :D

Personally the reason I did a fair bit of processing on the other shot I posted was that I found most of my shots were very cluttered - even shooting with my lens wide open and felt I had to try to get the main subject to be distinctive.

C2ADCC10D5F141ADA45764992D6E1B4E-500.jpg

3DFAA5900F00456495E25E4B5488CE0E-500.jpg

F0B4F927239B4099AE47E5C9962C8BF1-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

pete4130 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that alot of pics taken at KoC have extreme processing the past few years? Anyone else notice this too?

Well let me put it this way, any of my most popular picsn from last year were the ones that have extreme processing done on them, so i'm knocking it out this year.:)

Besides, the two shots of mine that were blown up and hung on site both had similar treatments. Scene thing? I mean, the clothes worn, the music listened to, the art especially, all designed for immediate impact as opposed to subtlety.

Besides, at the moment i am either doing simple black and whites or amping the **** out of the colour, the KOC stuff seems to be getting the same treatments. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

humberklog wrote: »
    Oh and these gheylords....(runs away)

haha so that was you HK.....I actually had my finger down Dereks a$$crack for that photo to try get some sort of facial reaction from him in the photo.....no such luck :(

Dragan wrote: »
    Well let me put it this way, any of my most popular picsn from last year were the ones that have extreme processing done on them, so i'm knocking it out this year.:)

Besides, the two shots of mine that were blown up and hung on site both had similar treatments. Scene thing? I mean, the clothes worn, the music listened to, the art especially, all designed for immediate impact as opposed to subtlety.

Besides, at the moment i am either doing simple black and whites or amping the **** out of the colour, the KOC stuff seems to be getting the same treatments. :D

I wasn't knocking or dissing the processing. I just findit interesting and noticed it form last years and the previous years images that alot of people did do some extreme processing on the images. I personally think it works for them!

I wasn't knocking or dissing the processing. I just findit interesting and noticed it form last years and the previous years images that alot of people did do some extreme processing on the images. I personally think it works for them!

Oh i know that mate, was just trying to offer up some reasons that might apply.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

My guess has been its "extreme" action and the extreme processing sreflects this somewhat? I also undertsand its hard to get stand out images at the KoC.

That's why I love a simple, stand out image with these kind of activities! :D

Although, I probably shouldn't rant too much. I was too lazy to get out of bed and head up to Dublin for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

You should have. I asked a couple of people if they were off Boards but you must have looked too scarey!!

Janey it doesn't seam to long ago that I had shoulder length blonde hair. Good god.

Did I scare you? I was asking you if your Olympus trip was a pen as we had one with us, I was shooting digitally at the time so you probably had no interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Does anyone have any video or anymore pictures of the Bmxing? Fair play to the guys who took some pictures every single one of them was unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

This one from Sinead's Canonet;

Yay! It lives!! What's it like then??

Was great craic on Saturday. Nice to chat to everyone :D Yep - that was us up at the Irish girl rapper - the only shots I took all day. Looking at what's been posted I'm glad I didn't bother - I knew I wouldn't get anything that'd stand out.

Soooooooo many SLRs there! And I noticed quite a few medium formats as well...

Groe wrote: »
    Does anyone have any video or anymore pictures of the Bmxing? Fair play to the guys who took some pictures every single one of them was unbelievable.

You can find all my shots below, including plenty from the BMXing as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altogether-aido/sets/72157621701040811/

3763677672_60d5532315_o.jpg

3763674460_ac9a49f950_o.jpg

3763659232_e7293a5815_o.jpg

3763668940_9345a64f8b_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

sineadw wrote: »
    Soooooooo many SLRs there!

definitely ..
    Some of you recognize themselves ? :

On another note .. i haven't been to this kind of event here before, and i don't know much about the Irish Bmx / Skate scene .. but was it representative of the level in the country ?
    I have to say (used to skate myself many years ago) that i was pretty disappointed with what i saw Saturday around the ramps - apart from 1 Bmx kid, & 1 or 2 sk8ters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not sure but wasn't sunday pitched as the main event?

• Advertisement

duffarama wrote: »
    Did I scare you? I was asking you if your Olympus trip was a pen as we had one with us, I was shooting digitally at the time so you probably had no interest...

Ahh that was you. You shoulda asked?! I was all confused at that stage. Didyour girlfriend use the Pen? My favourites from the day are all from the Trip. Simple no nonsense stuff.
    Sinead I'll PM you with a full diagnosis later. The Canonet is working but only to a degree. A good degree but it's not giving full welly on control.

757CA0A1F300417E98B1C2F096B17670-500.jpg

This with the Trip. Lovely if it wasn't for my dopey finger but I really don't want to PP the Trip's shots. It makes me feel dirty.

Ahh that was you. You shoulda asked?! I was all confused at that stage. Didyour girlfriend use the Pen? My favourites from the day are all from the Trip. Simple no nonsense stuff.

Lovely if it wasn't for my dopey finger but I really don't want to PP the Trip's shots. It makes me feel dirty.

I wasn't looking for any boards people, but shortly after I spoke to you I remembered somebody here had a trip, I was tempted by a trip RD 35 on holiday recently, he was asking €375 though!

She had the pen on her person but didn't shoot any of the events, it's a great little film point and shoot though, everything from about a metre away is in focus!

Ah rangefinders, I seem to always take a photo on every roll of film with my lens cap on. At least once a roll

That's why I throw away the lenscaps :pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That's why I throw away the lenscaps :pac:

But but... scratches :confused:

I still don't have a single scratch on any of'em :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Fajitas - you don't have a single scratch on your lens caps? :pac:

B9D654971A05451B8A6F1D3837DEDC4A-500.jpg
    I like the look on the two people in the background.

A8F346D97BA24F979740BE17D5D35668-500.jpg
    This guy was brilliant. Even if inline skating is to xsports what bird programmes are to a David Attenburough show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

here a few from meself... had a great day and no doubt seen all of you at some stage but am way to shy to say hello to a stranger :)

3765163125_c2e0d1dc5c.jpg

3765958528_a55fd2b229.jpg

3765955904_be8dd897dc.jpg

3765159431_cb3a9223b6.jpg

3765954384_2fc0874173.jpg

3765159583_e2712ef16f.jpg

tried to capture a few 'non-skater-type' ones but theres a load more here on my flicker page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/positivenote/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Few more...this is going to take AAAAAAAAAAAAGES

FBC6A74A25D5418B9F5624C5AF30EA1D-800.jpg

7E540AAE2F584DC88D9E261C1F82509E-800.jpg

292DE4309A6942F1A217AA78E77EB986-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

B9D654971A05451B8A6F1D3837DEDC4A-500.jpg
    I like the look on the two people in the background.

A8F346D97BA24F979740BE17D5D35668-500.jpg

The guy in the top pic is conor manweiler, his father(frank) is possibly the most valued person in the development of any skatepark orientated sport in irish history, by always doing what he can to have a park open.

I have absolutly no idea who the chap in the second pic is, but i can see what hes in the middle of doing, and on a short rail thats impressive!

So many familiar faces in all those pics, nice work lads!
    This guy was brilliant. Even if inline skating is to xsports what bird programmes are to a David Attenburough show.

What a load of toss. Rollerblading is far more dangerous than skateboarding is. Other 'extreme sports' like kite surfing and street luge are weak, please dont compare rollerblading to anything other than the cream of extreme sports.

Russell Brand was there too...
    98C865F78DA44CABBCF109D57B5A3516-500.jpg
    And a young David Schwimmer
    10BC2E1448BB49A7B6A68C6999024B75-500.jpg
    And Pete doing Eric Morecombe impersonations (and wiping his finger in his jeans)on the left
    7605EA2D6F6E41679F63051686A9482B-500.jpg

Can't believe you caughtthe post wipe....awesome!

Can't believe you caughtthe post wipe....awesome!

I had to wait until you comitted yourself in a previous post:pac:.

Tell you something though Pete...I was bloody drunk the last time we met. I thought I knew what you looked like!?

C81F8A88463C47399A2EED58AB08E391-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

<<<< I was there !!! (second pic posted on this thread ....me in yellow t-shirt)

next couple of posts will be pics.

For those that didnt know:

Cian Eades from Limerick got 3rd (and a cheque for €750 and minor concussion)
    Joe Hill from Derry got 2nd (and a cheque for €1750)
    and
    the winner and King of Concrete - Dublin:

Keith Walsh from Dublin
    (and a cheque for €2500)

as people can tell from the pics - I didn't do much PP... infact almost none except crop and some of them got a little unsharp mark added.

For the guy that mentioned earlier about using flash at the rail (YES - that was me using flash) I would just like to point out that I asked some of the lads before using it - there was also a guy on the top of the rail with a flash on a stand.....I was using flash at 1/16th just to freeze the action .... needed it with panning and the light that was there.

• Advertisement

another few

and last but not least .....

apologies for not embedding them - I dont upload to Flickr or any of those sites ... actually this is my first time posting pics on Boards.(I think)

it was a good weekend - even if my shin still hurts from Joe Hill falling on the main ramp and his skateboard making a beeline for my leg.

Have tonnes of pics from the weekend but cant be bothered going through them and choosing any more - I selected these ones over the weekend and sent to the papers. (got 2 pics published in the Irish Examiner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

red_ice wrote: »
    What a load of toss. Rollerblading is far more dangerous than skateboarding is. Other 'extreme sports' like kite surfing and street luge are weak, please dont compare rollerblading to anything other than the cream of extreme sports.

Rollerblading?Cream of extreme sports?

Could only come from a rollerblader. Skateboarding > rollerblading and it's not close.

Nice shots PCP.

I'm not saying it's not as, if not more, dangerous than other sports. Flipping hell birds can fly!! Up in the air whenever they want. But programmes on them are still the least interesting of any (other than insecty ones) Natural World episodes. I of course exclude penguins in this.
    Rollerblading (or disco skating if you will) just isn't as sexy to my eyes. Noisier too. Clank, schhock, chrrroshk.
    35E1629B75164262BB80A5F54B925EC6-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cambo

PCPhoto wrote: »
    and last but not least .....

Have tonnes of pics from the weekend but cant be bothered going through them and choosing any more - I selected these ones over the weekend and sent to the papers. (got 2 pics published in the Irish Examiner)

Hey Paddy,

Eoin here... some nice shots there. Fair dues on getting a few shots in the I.Ex.

Rb wrote: »
    Could only come from a rollerblader. Skateboarding > rollerblading and it's not close.

Yea... tell me that when a skateboarder actually lands a trick, grids for more than a foot, jumps over something higher than 3 foot or spins over 360 on something that doesnt throw him 10 foot over coping :rolleyes:

skateboardings weak!

Very nice shots PCP

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

please dont compare rollerblading to anything other than the cream of extreme sports.

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea... tell me that when a skateboarder actually lands a trick

Did you not see any the skateboarding over the weekend?
    grids for more than a foot,

Again did you not see any the skateboarding over the weekend?
    jumps over something higher than 3 foot

Again did you not see any the skateboarding over the weeked?
    or spins over 360 on something that doesnt throw him 10 foot over coping

With rollerblading the blades are attached to your feet like shoes so I reckon it would be easy to do a 360 (maybe not 10 foot high on those ramps) but its alot easier than a 360 on skateboard were nothing is attached.

What a load of toss. Rollerblading is far more dangerous than skateboarding is.

How is it? If anything rollerblading is alot safer everythings attached like, did you not see any of the slams the guys took yesterday skateboarding? There both pretty dangerous sports but to say out straight that one is more dangerous than the other without proving it is just silly.

I hate going off topic but I don't like clear fanboyism of something without having a point.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cambo

Yea... tell me that when a skateboarder actually lands a trick, grids for more than a foot, jumps over something higher than 3 foot or spins over 360 on something that doesnt throw him 10 foot over coping :rolleyes:

skateboardings weak!

Very nice shots PCP

This kid actually pulled off a couple of 540s (where he didn't wreck himself)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoincampbell/3762029070/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Can we keep to discussing the photo's and not which sport is better i.e. skateboarding or rollerblading.

Thanks you.

Nice shots everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

<Snip>

I'm surprised by the lack of fish eye shots tbh, really disappointed I didn't get to go but sure maybe next year...

Did the DC team actually turn up? I haven't (I think) seen any pics of them yet.

<Snip>
    Have to say im impressed with how people managed to catch the overall vibe of the event itself, good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Who cares??

It was a gret two days, with great skills from all forms of 'athletes' there, and great photos taken from it!

TBH the people there with the MOST skill were the organisers! Have to hand it to them

You couldnt go anywhere without seeing something awesome, Grafitti artists, break dancers, skaters, bladers, BMX'rs, beat box'rs, rapers, Parkour etc etc etc...

Now I propse that we see more photos (seeing as its a photo thread)

F610D329FCD14722B51CD53DC7CD7C69-500.jpg

CF5EC3D08CAF4F57AE6B5646E376D54B-500.jpg

41ACD04662BB4AA3AE30DF1717D7E295-500.jpg

FE61B18AC87B428C92F7148E042020AF-500.jpg

B27E4550925F4DD0B3D5A2A74D65E90C-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gnemix

Fook this, this is all I'm doing for tonight.

D6C81A39B88740BA809B2946632E0A5A-800.jpg

Thanks for the photo! was wonderin if anyone god me doin this! its great!

and wats this crack about rollin v skateboardin. of course people on both sides will be bias! just be happy ur not doin crack on the corner!

kings was amazing! love that event

thanks again

Graéme:P

Gnemix wrote: »
    Thanks for the photo! was wonderin if anyone god me doin this! its great!

and wats this crack about rollin v skateboardin. of course people on both sides will be bias! just be happy ur not doin crack on the corner!

kings was amazing! love that event

thanks again

Graéme:P
    Ahh... that was you then :D You're pretty good dude!

If you want I can see if I've any other pics of you and sort you out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I was there briefly, great day, was just enjoying the sunshine & music tho so didnt bring the camera.....

judging by some of your shots maybe I should have ! well done all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

trishw78 wrote: »
    Can we keep to discussing the photo's and not which sport is better i.e. skateboarding or rollerblading.

Thanks you.

Nice shots everyone else.

This is what annoys me about the moderating here,It's good most of the time,But when it seems we can't even chat about the topic in question be it the skills of the specific skater or the stunts the bmx rider did and have a good discussion about that,It's a real shame things like this can't be left alone and maybe just a "Moderator note" about being nice to each other.

It's like we can't have any other conversations because we're not allowed and we'll all start arguing,where as I'm sure if you actually let us talk about something other than photography it would just fade into the background after a while.I wanted to ask a few question about this event and the skaters and roller balders,But would feel stupid going off and posting in a skateboard forum,And as the photographers/skaters know here that alot of us might have no experience with what we're shooting(other than shooting it before) I'm sure they'd give a much nicer reply than going onto a separate board and asking the one or two questions.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd give a much nicer reply than going onto a separate board and asking the one or two questions.

Absolutely disagree with this. After last years event i went to lots of specilist boards and sent links to my pictures, got advice etc etc.

It's easy.

With regard to the skateboarding VS inline thing....nice to see how quickly the spirit of the weekend died. I started this thread as a place to put pictures, not for a place for people to decide who is cooler, or who is harder.

As it is clearly this kid.

3763457366_5a40d89bea.jpg

In fairness, Ricky, this wasn't a discussion about any of the sports - it's people who do one or the other argueing the age old "Mine is better than yours".

I'm sure the mods would have no problems with some banter/conversation/questions about any of the sports if the people who do them would keep their handbags at bay and not argue over which is harder/cooler/etc.. but in this case, they're doing their jobs and keeping the peace around here.

Asking one or two questions on a photo thread isn't such a bad derailment and if it's helpful, I'm sure would be welcomed.

Turning a photo thread into a mud slinging match however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Ricky91t wrote: »
    But when it seems we can't even chat about the topic in question

Im not giving out and im not going to comment on the mod part because personally I think they are very helpful here, but this is (as stated in the title) a PHOTO THREAD. At no time does it say C&C and the question is not about the people in the pictures, but rather the photos that were taken from it

• Advertisement
Advertisement