Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy to look for a new job during the recssion?

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I know I'm lucky to have a job when there are so many people being made redundant all the time but my job is really tough and I'd love something else. I've spent the day on various sites like monster and irishjobs and have found a good few that could suit me (I'm an engineer) and I'm just looking for some advice. My company is doing well and I know my job is safe so am I stupid to go to another company and risk being last in first out in the event of the company having problems? Anybody work in recruitment? I'm surprised that I found so many jobs online considering there are so many unemployed people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Firstly, make sure the jobs aren't phantom jobs advertised by recruitment agencies.

Secondly, don't leave your job until you've found a new one.

And finally, go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

my job is really tough and I'd love something else

One thing to consider is that any new job will be tough too.

I was made redundant last year, and as a result had to find a new employer.

I took the first job I was offered (in case it was the only one!), but after only a week there I realised it wasn't the right job for me, not because it was tough, but because it didn't suit my skills.

I was fortunate to get offered another job a couple of months later which I accepted. It's tougher than both my original job and the one I didn't like. But it suits me and my talents more so I actually enjoy it.

Any new job will have a learning curve that will make it tough at the beginning, so bear that in mind before you decide to leave.

Regardless of what I have said here, if you absolutely hate your current job you should look for another one. Most people spend the majority of their waking hours at work so IF you can you should enjoy it most of the time (everyone has bad days at work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I'd say go for it. A lot of the hype out there at the moment is laughable over jobs. I've found most of the people out of work are just to plain lazy and are'nt willing to work any kind of job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I'd say go for it. A lot of the hype out there at the moment is laughable over jobs. I've found most of the people out of work are just to plain lazy and are'nt willing to work any kind of job.
    Perhaps maybe 20% of the people unemployed are lazy.

Branding everyone lazy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm an engineer doing the same thing as you with the same question.
    I physically can't keep my job up any longer. I need to get something a bit less demanding - and believe me, that would basically mean a normal office job.What I'm doing now is far beyond the kind of hours/work that most normal people are at.It's affecting my health too, and it's just time to get out. I do wonder the same thing, but I suppose, look at companies that have been around for a while and aren't completely reliant on one sector only - as in, they have work in a few different things.It's hard - most jobs seem to require people who have a good bit of experience and often a chartership aswell. But at this stage I'm ready to just put my CV out everywhere and see what happens.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

a lot of advertised jobs are non existent also....

It seems alot of engineering jobs in particular are only going to vastly experienced people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

By all means apply,but what I would say is,apply only to companies that are advertising themselves,not through agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

nedtheshed wrote:
    By all means apply,but what I would say is,apply only to companies that are advertising themselves,not through agencies.

People say this quite a lot, but many companies only use agencies, so you're cutting out a big part of the market by refusing to deal with agencies. In principle, I don't like the idea of my CV being out there with so many people. In practice, the worst thing that has happened is that I get a call about a job I'm not interested in, and I politely thank the agency for the call and tell them I'm not interested. It's really not that big of a deal.
    Bandit12 wrote: »

I don't agree at all. This might have been somewhat true a couple of years ago, but not now. It is that bad out there. I know people who have been laid off, and they're not enjoying being off work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

A little bit of detective work can fairly narrow things down.This of course depends on the job.If its something like retail assistant for North Dublin store then it would be nigh on impossible to figure out who.
    If the job is more specific eg food and beverage manager in a 4 star Hotel in North Dublin,then the chances a quick google search will very much narrow things down.
    Plus most agencies will try and fluff up the employer therefore making them easier to find.

I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I completely agree - similarly in IT, there are always jobs for PocketKings which are dead easy to spot on irishjobs.ie. They do appear to be real jobs, but their HR department is supposedly a nightmare to deal with, though that's a different issue.

All I'm trying to say is that you can really limit yourself by not applying to any jobs that aren't listed with agencies, for what, in reality, isn't really that much hassle. I must have sent my CV to 10 or 12 agencies when I was last searching for a job, and I've no doubt that many of those jobs were bullshìt. But the job I got was through an agency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Do it.
    I found a job in 3 days and got a better package than i had before.
    Best thing I ever did was stop worrying about the bad things that might happen and take a chance!
    just make sure you have money to pay the bills :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    Do it.
    I found a job in 3 days and got a better package than i had before.
    Best thing I ever did was stop worrying about the bad things that might happen and take a chance!
    just make sure you have money to pay the bills :)

I second this. One of my best friends left a position she was in for 6 months which she felt would never work out. She has now just started a new job for a better company. So chin up and keep trying to find the right position. Daisy.

Advertisement