Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to copy a sim ?

• 25-07-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

is it possible to copy a sim ? i want to setup a sim with bb but wont be using it that much so want to give it to the gf to so she can use it if im not so we get some use out of it. So is it possible to do this ? The sim will only be on the network at any one time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Kristok wrote: »
    is it possible to copy a sim ? i want to setup a sim with bb but wont be using it that much so want to give it to the gf to so she can use it if im not so we get some use out of it. So is it possible to do this ? The sim will only be on the network at any one time.

Short answer, yes. Long answer, no. If its a very old SIM (say pre-2001 ish) you may be able to do it. If its newer, a much slimmer chance and if it's 3G forget it. I presume you want a "carbon copy" clone of the SIM?

The problem is you must extract a number called the Ki off the SIM card, it requires a huge amount of cracking and number crunching to do. Most internet bought devices arn't up to it. I ran a Meteor SIM for the laugh once and gave up after 3 days, it hadn't even got the first few digits of the KI, and its a big number.

3G Sim cards have the added technicallity of a different KI and other Cryto-Algorythms.

The risks you also run is bricking the SIM card your cloning in addition to it being sort of illegal. (Its a grey area as it would be strictly speaking for personal use in your case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

blubloblu wrote: »

I never read that article before.Thanks for the link. Its still fairly out of date. I've used both programs mentioned in that article and have never manged to clone a Vodafone, Meteor or O2 Sim card here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

None of the Irish networks allow you to have the 1 number across 2 SIMs.

We can't allow talk of things like SIM cloning here, so I'm going to close this thread.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement