Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Games

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:59pm

So after much oo-ing and aah-ing and indecision, I finally purchased a PSP today. What games should I get for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I love the game Custom Firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

What kind of games are you into? That way we can give you tailored advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

rizzla wrote: »

+1 Excellent game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fifa 09 is good,but wait for fifa 10 I'd say its out in october I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Pity this game ist compatible with PSP 3000....yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I recommend Jeanne D'arc. Its the only psp game that I would love to play again! Its a strategy rpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Wipeout - no excuse for 12 bucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

God of War: Chains of Olympus is excellent, if you like action games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I bought a PSP just to play that game.

I don't really care about having a custom firmware as all the games for the PSP seem to be cheap enough anyways as is.

Enjoy fighting games, some RPGs (as long as they're not the turn-based ones like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey - haven't the patience for those-- or at least none I've found to enjoy), action games, adventure.

• Advertisement

I don't really care about having a custom firmware as all the games for the PSP seem to be cheap enough anyways as is.

Enjoy fighting games, some RPGs (as long as they're not the turn-based ones like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey - haven't the patience for those-- or at least none I've found to enjoy), action games, adventure.
    Okay so to break it down by genre:
    Fighting: Tekken: Dark Resurrection, probably the best fighter on PSP... until Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny and Tekken 6 PSP come out.

Action: You could try the two GTA games, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. Haven't played them but I always hear people recommending them. The Syphon Filter games for PSP are very good, Logon's Shadow in particular. God of War: Chains of Olympus is brilliant, get that if you liked the other 2 God of War games. There's also Metal Gear: Portable Ops if you're a MGS fan. Resistance Retribution is pretty good too, and it has online MP.

RPG: There are more quality RPGs on the PSP than any of the next-gen consoles at the moment. Depends whether you like Japanese RPGs or Western ones though, as they're mostly JRPGs. As you say you don't like turn based RPGs, I'd recommend Crisis Core:FFVII. Jeanne D'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions will probably be of no use to you as they're very much turn based, but they're so good! If you like retro games there are some very good remakes/updated ports of older games on the PSP e.g. Star Ocean: First Departure.

There are lot's of other really good games that might interest you also.

You should give the demo of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite a shot and see if you like that. It's part action, part RPG, part loot gathering game. It's a great game but is probably more fun when you can play it with other people. Give the demo of Rock Band: Unplugged a go as well, I think it's fantastic but I'm a sucker for rhythm games.

WipeOut Pure and WipOut Pulse are brilliant, they look amazing and Pulse even has custom soundtracks which for me makes it a great for gaming on the bus. Lumines 1 or 2 are definitely worth your time, great portable games. I've started playing Crush again, which is a 3D/2D puzzler that is pretty damn hard.

Then there are the very odd games like LocoRoco and Patapon. There are demos available for them so you should give them a shot and see if they're you're thing. They're great portable games and a lot of fun. In fact have a look at the Playstation Store, a lot of the games I have listed have demos up there and there are full games as well like Super Stardust Portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Mr. K wrote: »
    God of War: Chains of Olympus is excellent, if you like action games.

+1 enjoyed this also

Sid Meiers: Pirates! Is good craic too imo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is the second thread you've spammed this in. No-one wants to buy your dodgy PSP.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Okay so to break it down by genre:
    Fighting: Tekken: Dark Resurrection, probably the best fighter on PSP... until Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny and Tekken 6 PSP come out.

Action: You could try the two GTA games, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. Haven't played them but I always hear people recommending them. The Syphon Filter games for PSP are very good, Logon's Shadow in particular. God of War: Chains of Olympus is brilliant, get that if you liked the other 2 God of War games. There's also Metal Gear: Portable Ops if you're a MGS fan. Resistance Retribution is pretty good too, and it has online MP.

RPG: There are more quality RPGs on the PSP than any of the next-gen consoles at the moment. Depends whether you like Japanese RPGs or Western ones though, as they're mostly JRPGs. As you say you don't like turn based RPGs, I'd recommend Crisis Core:FFVII. Jeanne D'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions will probably be of no use to you as they're very much turn based, but they're so good! If you like retro games there are some very good remakes/updated ports of older games on the PSP e.g. Star Ocean: First Departure.

There are lot's of other really good games that might interest you also.

You should give the demo of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite a shot and see if you like that. It's part action, part RPG, part loot gathering game. It's a great game but is probably more fun when you can play it with other people. Give the demo of Rock Band: Unplugged a go as well, I think it's fantastic but I'm a sucker for rhythm games.

WipeOut Pure and WipOut Pulse are brilliant, they look amazing and Pulse even has custom soundtracks which for me makes it a great for gaming on the bus. Lumines 1 or 2 are definitely worth your time, great portable games. I've started playing Crush again, which is a 3D/2D puzzler that is pretty damn hard.

Then there are the very odd games like LocoRoco and Patapon. There are demos available for them so you should give them a shot and see if they're you're thing. They're great portable games and a lot of fun. In fact have a look at the Playstation Store, a lot of the games I have listed have demos up there and there are full games as well like Super Stardust Portable.

I am completely new to the whole PSP thing so this may seem like a silly question but - with a WiFi connection, can I download the demos straight on to the PSP itself, or do I need a PS3?

Will check out the WipeOut games for sure and the GTA games as people have told me their good.

I am completely new to the whole PSP thing so this may seem like a silly question but - with a WiFi connection, can I download the demos straight on to the PSP itself, or do I need a PS3?

Will check out the WipeOut games for sure and the GTA games as people have told me their good.
    Not a silly question at all, Sony need to advertise this function a lot better. You have 3 options: You can download straight to your PSP from the PSP Playstation Store via WiFi (this may take an age though, and there are no background downloads on the PSP), you can download to your PS3 and transfer, or you transfer stuff on your PC using Sony's Media Go program.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeyrooo

its not mine i was thinkin of bidding on it actually coz i spend a lot of time in croatia and thats where it is!!! also wanted to see if i would get any 'good' feedback on it from you guys who might know more...im always up for opinions..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

flatout, parappa the rapper, gta, locoroco. that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Gamestop have two great but very strange rpgs,Mana Khemia Student Alliance and Prinny Can I really be the Hero,top 5 would be Crisis Core,God of War,Patapon,Loco Roco and Tekken.

Gamestop have two great but very strange rpgs,Mana Khemia Student Alliance and Prinny Can I really be the Hero,top 5 would be Crisis Core,God of War,Patapon,Loco Roco and Tekken.

Are Mana Khemia Student Alliance and Prinny Can I really be the Hero on sale like a 2 for €xx offer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Prinny was in Henry Street in Dublin for €29.99,Mana Khemia is available in the trade a game a pay €5 deal,they may not be in all stores,I had to search every where to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dont miss everybodys golf: absolute joy to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thielfer

people get wrong that case of having custom firmware
    it let's you play a lot of games you won't buy in gamestop or other stores
    and believe me I first started to use to buy games as they are really cheap
    but when I get to the point of no return, I mean moment when the game is not on stock and never will be :/ I moved to the "game - custom firmware ;P"
    another advantage is that you don't have to wait for new releases until there's UK/EUR version cause custom firmware ("game ;P") is region free what in short word means - you can get US versions that are released a lot earlier...

and you still can play umd games that you buy

so I think it's enough of arguments :D

PSP's are all region free anyway.

I only use cfw so i can rip the umd to the memory stick and so i can have games from my EU, US and Japanese PSN accounts work on the same psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I though Prinny was rubbish and it was a big let down for me. It's a platform game rather than an SRPG and it's a pretty outdated one at that.

I though Prinny was rubbish and it was a big let down for me. It's a platform game rather than an SRPG and it's a pretty outdated one at that.

I heard mixed reviews. Some say its great and really hard, others say its crap and terrible controls.

TBH, I find that a lot with NIS games. They're kinda like marmite. I have some old PS3 games that i won't play again so might trade them in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Monster hunter freedom unite. Big fan of the series,girlfriend got it for me when it came out. Its awesome. 500+ hours of gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Give Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus a go. Very good game. Steer clear of Metal Gear Ac!d though. A bit pants really.

As others have said, God of War: Chains of Olympus, the GTAs, Loco Roco and Patapon [and the sequels]. There are also the PS1 games available via the PSN that play perfectly on the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Otacon wrote: »

As others have said, God of War: Chains of Olympus, the GTAs, Loco Roco and Patapon [and the sequels]. There are also the PS1 games available via the PSN that play perfectly on the PSP.

agreed along with WC snooker. There's a huge selection of PSP games, but a serious amount of bad games in comparison to the small amount of good ones. Get the CFW, worth having the megadrive and snes games if you're in to retro gaming.

My favourite thing by far about the CFW is bookR, the PDF reader. Saves you a fortune buying the overpriced Sony e-book reader.

• Advertisement
Advertisement