Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obstructing trees!!

Options
  • 25-07-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all! I was just wondering if someone could please help me, I live on the side of a hill and have a next door neighbour on the right of me. he has just planted 9 oak and ash trees at our boundary wall. There is 10ft between the trees and the house. They are blocking our views of the town and as we are down in a hole there will be no more light coming into our house or the garden. I know that the roots of the trees can grow a long way but could they reach the foundations of the house I have asked him to keep the trees below a certain level but he has refused. Is there anything that could be done about the trees or will I just have to get used to them and use more electricity?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Mod, I'd say this is posted in the wrong section, might get more replies in a section about planning applications etc.

OP as far as I know a person isn't entitled to a view but you are entitled to natural light. It's a tough situtation as you don't want to start an agrument with a neighbour. I'd make an enquiry with your local planning office and see what they say, if they really are blocking your light then i'd imagine that you have grounds for complaint. Is there a reason why your neighbour is being so unhelpful about it? You would be entitled to cut back any part of the tree that is hanging over to your side of the fence, but I'd check with the planning office, or local council first.

Best of Luck.
    F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Best of luck.

Anyone who takes the attitude that your neighbour has, is going to be one ornery dude to deal with.

Trust me on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

Thanks I have posted it in the planning section, hopefully someone will know.

Advertisement