Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood preservative

Options
  • 25-07-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a wood preservative that only needs to be applied once? I've been using Lidl water based stain which is a nice colour but it needs redoing evry year or two at the most.

Would an oil-based one be more suitable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Your best bet is Cuprinol the original (I think) and the best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You will get away with once only with cresoate but this is toxic. Use any of the Protim woodstains. They are Irish and very good. I use to distribute them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

is creosote illegal now or can you use it with a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Martron wrote: »
    is creosote illegal now or can you use it with a license?

Have not the foggist, I think there is a substitue. I never use it. Its extreamly toxic. Its just its known to be a one time job. Thats why I mentioned it.

yeah i know there is a problem with buying railway sleepers treated with it.

I would not worry about it as you would not be able to buy it from reputable retailer if it was illegal.

op what are you trying to preserve? decking? fencing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yorky wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a wood preservative that only needs to be applied once? I've been using Lidl water based stain which is a nice colour but it needs redoing evry year or two at the most.

Would an oil-based one be more suitable?

Hang on - we need to clarify something here.
    You are using a water based stain which is wearing off after 1 year but you want a better preservative?
    These are two different substances - stain is not a preservative.
    Perhaps what you mean is a product such as colron - http://www.colron.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a one-off application preservative for fencing.

ok that makes more sense.

i have used 2 products ... different colours on the same fence ( different sections of the same fence are holdiong up about the samme)

i painted them paddys day 3 years ago.

anyway one was (i think cuprinol) fencelife. and the other was b&q generic wood stain / perservative for wooded fences.

the b&q was cheaper and from what i can tell is working just as good as the other stuff.

comes in a white bucket with orange lid ( like most of their stuff does. )

and no i dont work for b&q !!!! ha ha

Advertisement