Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking down my landlord

Options
  • 25-07-2009 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Hiya, I need some help. My landlord has not reduced the price of the rent we are currently paying in our house. Already, three of the people I was renting with have moved out because they found cheaper rooms close by.

Was just browsing daft there and I am stunned by the prices of some rooms now, they seemed to have dropped dramatically since I began looking last year. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that he lowers the rent? He already said before that our rent is just profit for him as he own the property already. He's a really nice guy but everywhere else seem to have their prices dropped. I'm thinking about finding somewhere a bit cheaper but ideally, I'd like to stay where I am but without the high rent. Is it cheeky to mention it to him? And should I just move out if I want to pay less?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Hiya, I need some help. My landlord has not reduced the price of the rent we are currently paying in our house. Already, three of the people I was renting with have moved out because they found cheaper rooms close by.

Was just browsing daft there and I am stunned by the prices of some rooms now, they seemed to have dropped dramatically since I began looking last year. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that he lowers the rent? He already said before that our rent is just profit for him as he own the property already. He's a really nice guy but everywhere else seem to have their prices dropped. I'm thinking about finding somewhere a bit cheaper but ideally, I'd like to stay where I am but without the high rent. Is it cheeky to mention it to him? And should I just move out if I want to pay less?

You answered your own question :)

Tell him you don't want to leave but there is no logical reason for you to stay if he continues to charge the current price.

It's not cheeky at all, it's alot of money, and if he needed to raise the rent you'd hear about it quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My son is a good tenant in Santry and he has a good landlord. They sat down for a chat about the rent and the current economic climate and both parties are happy with a new deal. Don't know what to add to that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

MizzLolly wrote: »

Bring it up with him and negotiate, rents are falling like stones now and if you move out he will never get a new tenant on the same rent level, he will have to lower it anyway so he can just as well lower it for you and save himself a gap he'd have looking for new tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI - hopefully get more advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

As above, talk to him. We got the rent of our house reduced from 2500 pm to 2000pm, much bigger drop than we expected. They know us now and they know we do take care of the house and if we moved out they might get either trouble or a vacant house which wouldn't bring up any money.

If your good tenants you have little to lose or be afraid of, there's plenty nice out there if you have to move.

• Advertisement

In my second last house one of my housemates moved out to be closer to town and we suggested to the landlady that the three of us remaining would be willing to continue paying the same rent of 250 a month and when we got a 4th person they would begin paying. We were basically offering her 750 and the promise of the full 1000 once we got another tenant.

She turned us down point blank and said that the house was worth 1000 and she would not accept a penny less, we all moved out and the house has been empty since. It's defomet;y worth talking to your landlord, hopefully he's more understanding than mine was.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to a rent review once a year and you only have to pay the market rent, not what the landlord insists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Defo should discuss it with your landlord. Our rent has come down by 25% since this time last year in two different dicussions with managers. Landlords are finding it hard to get ppl to move in esp now during the summer so should do it sooner rather than later when the students come back. Also landlords now have to do an energy rating if they rent out the house since January. Most don't want the hassle or cost of it and its a good bargaining point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am sure your landlord would prefer to reduce rent than to risk loosing you as a tenant, as there are many places out there for rent at the moment, so he could be waiting a while before finding another tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If you have a lease, any drop they give you will merely be a favour. They don't have to give you one, but you're legally obliged to uphold any contract you may have with him and should you fail to, the courts may make you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Figure out how much you want to pay him. Then give him a lower price. He will meet you half way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bob Z wrote: »
    Figure out how much you want to pay him. Then give him a lower price. He will meet you half way

That a guarantee? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That a guarantee? :rolleyes:

Well its worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Victor wrote: »
    You are entitled to a rent review once a year and you only have to pay the market rent, not what the landlord insists.

This is not quite correct. If you have signed a lease agreement with the current price on it then you are obliged to continue paying this agreed sum until the end of the term.

You can of course request a rent review from your landlord toward the end of the term (certainly not in the first few months unless the property itself has changed).

Rent reviews are based on the property itself and if it has had any enhancements made to it to increase the value or any problems which decrease the value. Market conditions and the rent of a property next door do not have any great standing in the rent you pay or think you should be paying.

By all means a landlord now (and i speak as one who has numerous properties) would usually be willing to negotiate a small reduction anyway even as a sign of good will and to keep good tenants. Don't forget however that they are NOT obliged to reduce it and if you are not happy, you still have a lease and can be forced to pay the lease until the end should you decide to move out. This can go to the PRTB and court if necessary.

Note that the tenancy act does not mention rent reductions in line with current market conditions.

A tenant can give 28 days notice at any time if the landlord is in breach of his or her obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act or the tenancy agreement. If a tenant wishes to avail of the shorter period, the tenant must notify the landlord in writing of the breach and to give the landlord a reasonable opportunity to rectify the position.

What happens if there is a fixed term lease in place?
    A tenant cannot avail of the notice periods where they are bound by a fixed term lease which they signed. They can, however, end the tenancy where the landlord is in breach of an obligation and where they have written to the landlord regarding the breach and giving the landlord an opportunity to rectify the position.

A tenant can also avail of section 186 of the Residential Tenancies Act to end a fixed term lease where the landlord refuses their wish to assign the lease to somebody else.

Advertisement