Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

From Mean Fiddler:

Phil McIntyre presents
    Queen with Adam Lambert
    hmv Hammersmith Apollo / Wed 11 & Thu 12 July 2012

Just two weeks after the shock cancellation of Sonisphere 2012 where they were due to headline with singer Adam Lambert, rock band Queen has announced they are to go ahead with a UK concert appearance this summer after all. The band today announced that the highly anticipated pairing of Queen and Lambert will instead take place at the hmv Hammersmith Apollo over two nights, the 11 and 12 July. Said Brian May "Somehow this feels right - The Apollo is a big part of our history, and its atmosphere is second to none. It's the perfect place to acknowledge our faithful fans, and will be a fitting return to our roots!".

Still undecided about this. Really want to see Bri and RT, really don't want to see Lambert....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Long time listener of queen as well great band has to be said been collecting some bootleg concerts for a small while now currently on 80 shows gets a lot harder every time to find them. Would love to see Rodger Taylor get The Cross back together and make an album + tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Just saw the lineup for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee concert at Buckingham Palace and there is no mention of Brian or Roger.

I thought Brian would have had some part to play. Anyone any idea as to why there is no Queen connection at the Queen's concert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I'm going to be a smart arse here. May and Taylor probably weren't getting paid.

Deaky is the only one I've any time for at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Really wish i could have seen them in concert!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

I was i was older too, just so that i could of said i seen Queen Live at Wembley!

vider12 wrote: »
    I was i was older too, just so that i could of said i seen Queen Live at Wembley!

Don't be wishing your life away. Enjoy the DVD instead :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

The DVD just isnt the same, you cant say you were there! Though the DVD is very good one of the best live concert DVDs I think!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

The DVD just isnt the same, you cant say you were there! Though the DVD is very good one of the best live concert DVDs I think!

Good point, it just isn't the same!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Only remember this today but a while ago I read this about Queen & Adam Lambert: www.nme.com/news/queen/63704 I don't think they should be trying to replace Freddie which essentially is what they are doing. Freddie Mercury was one of the best frontmen that the world have ever seen.

• Advertisement

Back in Ireland for a few days after four weeks in Poland and Ukraine.

Some bright spark thought it would be nice to take me to see Queen and Adam Lambert in Kiev last Saturday night.

I'm still traumatised. It was the worst concert I've been at, made all the worse by May and Taylor actually thinking that Adam Lambert could possibly make a go of it.

I'm reminded of a line Freddie speaks on the 'Live Killer' album. Just at the end of 'Dreamers Ball' and before 'Love of my Life' he uttered " The things you have to do for money."

Well May and Taylor have taken it to a new level. Thank God it was a jolly and I didn't pay.

Anyone thinking of going to see them, buy a D.V.D. instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Hmmm. Was it even worse than Brian's Back to the Light show in the Point, twenty years ago? I still regard that as one of the worst things I've ever been to, and I say that as a massive fan. I'd like to think that Kiev could have been salvaged by Roger doing I'm In Love With My Car and Rock It (Prime Jive) and Brian doing Long Away, but I doubt it.
    I've always found it hugely regrettable that Brian and Roger put their energies into all the wrong things. Just release some vintage concerts on DVD and make old live shows available for download, like the Rolling Stones did with their recent batch of archive material. Nobody cares about a tour with a non-entity TV show "star", or your flogging expensive paperweights on the Queen website.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Can't believe Queen's preformance at the closing ceremony, Jessie J just shouldn't of sang, it would have been alot better if they had of just played a video of freddie singing.

She was dreadful alright. Pity they didn't get George Michael to sing instead of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

It was god awful. Shame on May and Taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Was expecting more from them last night tbh, was to keen on it all to say the least. The Who easily outshone them by a mile. At least Adam Lambert wasn't there, thats a plus.

The freddie clip was brilliant, dead 21 years soon and he can still hold the audience in the palms of his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I saw Queen too at the closing ceremony. I thought Jesse J was a strange choice to sing We Will Rock You. It was bland rather than awful. The video of Freddie was great and the link to Brian's guitar-playing was good, until Brian got carried away with his guitar solo. That was also one of my abiding memories of Queen the one and only time I saw them live - Knebworth, 1986. Brian went off to do a number of over-done guitar solos.

Apart from the above, Queen live was entertaining and Freddie was a great frontman and showman. I was a bit disappointed with them live (their last live concert? I can't believe it!), haven seen some great concert footage on the telly a few times before. Queen were just superb in Live Aid.

That all said, Queen were a very talented bunch of musicians and songwriters and created some wonderful music. And I mean all four: Freddie, Brian, John and Roger. Now and then, they came up with stuff which was on the bland side. But, given their incredible volume output, I think that is allowed. On the songwritting front, I think Brian just pips Freddie for the best songwriter, as I would have been drawn towards the more guitar-driven tunes.

Okay- I suppose I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool fan, but I was lucky enough to hear some of their albums over the years, as well as the Greatest Hits Collections.

Can I be controversial and say that personally I find Dont Stop Me Now irritating and I hear it too much because of ads? Glad to get that off my chest!

My favourite songs would include - in no particular order -
    Son and Daughter
    Jesus
    Brighton Rock
    Is This The World We Created
    Who Wants To Live Forever
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Radio Gaga (Roger's finest songwriting moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

I'm really looking forward to this, not having been old enough to have seen any of their concerts in the eighties. I'm hoping they might show it at the Savoy in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Been listening to Queen since my formative years and I have to say they remain one of my all time favorite bands. Freddie Mercury is the greatest frontman of all time- the way he captures the audience in the palm of his hand just by singing "Aaaaaaayyyyy-oh!" gives me goosebumps.
    I admit, however, that since his death the band have really floundered. I've watched Adam Lambert's efforts with Roger and Brian and they leave me cold. Jessie J was an absolute shambles and I completely agree with the folk saying they should've just played a video of Freddie singing.

In regards to having a touring frontman with the band, the only one who seemed to get it right was Paul Rogers from Free. He didn't seem to be replacing Mercury, more than he was honoring his memory. I'd happily pick him as a new frontman over Jessie J or Adam Lambert any day.

I'm extremely excited for Hungarian Rhapsody as I was only 3 years old when Freddie died and so I never got to see him live.
    That said, from what I've seen of the showmanship at Live Aid and Live at Wembley, I've a funny feeling this concert/movie is going to be legendary.
    In regards to songs, my favorites include Don't Stop Me Now, Who Wants To Live Forever, The Show Must Go On, Somebody To Love and Killer Queen to name but a few.

There'll never be anyone like Freddie, though. :D

tumblr_m8wy3069Ht1qzq75ro1_250.jpg

• Advertisement

Heard this being advertised on the radio today :

http://blueroom.o2online.ie/Artists/We-Will-Rock-You---Musical.aspx

I saw it the last time in Dublin and it was a great show. The music was fantastic :D

I was at the closing ceremony. The rumour going round the green room was that George Michael was to sing but something happened.

When Freddie appeared on the screens it was surreal. Like going back twenty five years. Even in death he still has it.

As for May and Taylor, least said, soonest mended.

Mr John Deacon, 61 today. Happy birthday Deaky. The last member of Queen with his musical integrity fully intact.

In my 'umble opinion his finest moment;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

If May and Taylor continue to tour, might I suggest they hire this guy as a possible front man? :eek:

IMO the only man to ever truely do justice to a Queen song.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

leincar wrote: »
    Mr John Deacon, 61 today. Happy birthday Deaky. The last member of Queen with his musical integrity fully intact.

In my 'umble opinion his finest moment;

Hi there Leincar,

Have to agree with you on this.

The studio version of this is stunning,but the version on "Live Killers" is quite possibly the finest 6 or 7 minutes of music you will ever hear.

Had the pleasure/honour of meeting John in '82,the day before the Elland Road gig,a total gent.

So belated birthday wishes Mr Deacon,so glad you spread your wings away from Maylor,who seem intent on ruining the legacy they built up..

In last Saturdays Telegraph Freddie's mother Jer gives an interview. Actually a great interview. She comes across as a typically 'Irish Mammy.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/9523701/Exclusive-interview-Freddie-Mercurys-mother-on-her-dear-boy.html

Today they have published some pictures from the book 'Freddie Mercury, The Great Pretender:a Life in Pictures'. Thats one more book for the book shelf then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9527839/Freddie-Mercury-The-Great-Pretender-a-Life-in-Pictures.html

WhyGoBald wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this, not having been old enough to have seen any of their concerts in the eighties. I'm hoping they might show it at the Savoy in Dublin.

It will be shown in Dundrum on Thursday 20th September.

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=M-DUNDRUM&p=details&eventCode=8369

Also Savoy, Dublin 20th and 23rd of September. Probably in other cinemas as well.

http://www.savoy.ie/cinema/info/m4138

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

Woot woot! Looking forward to that! Thanks leincar.

I bought the special edition of the Barcelona album at the weekend. I had only heard the title track before so can't make any comparison with the original album, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this. Barcelona, La Japonaise, Guide Me Home - great tracks. Maybe it's because I like the odd listen to opera that I get such a kick out of it.

I went to see this in [EMAIL="Movies@Swords"]Movies@Swords[/EMAIL] in the Pavillions Shopping Centre.

It was in 2 parts, a documentary and the concert itself. The sound was quite good during the documentary so I was expecting a thunderous start to the actual concert itself. To my amazement, the sound only seemed to be coming from the speakers under the screen. I have to say, this was a big disappointment as it wasn't as loud as I would have liked. In terms if the picture quality, this was very good and I couldn't fault this part, it's the sound that let it down for me.

Another thing that struck me was that there was little or no audience reaction to the songs. I suppose it was a combination of the low sound level and cinema setting that inhibited people. I sang along to the songs myself but I was conscious of not being too loud.

Lastly, if any of you have seen it, did they edit out the second verse of Crazy Little Thing Called Love?

I'd love to hear your views if you saw it. You might say where you saw it.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I saw it in Cineworld. The sound for the documentary was dire. The disclaimer at the start said that some of the footage may be of inferior quality, but the shortcomings of the soundtrack were obvious once it was pumped up to cinema levels. Overall, I found the documentary disappointing. There were some great interview clips with Freddie, some of which I'd not seen before, but it just seemed pretty slapdash, like they'd just cobbled together random interviews from the era and assembled a "chronology" of 1985-86 to use as a DVD extra.
    I thought the film looked terrific. I thought the sound was perfect, and the clarity of some of Freddie's vocals in particular was great; Who Wants to Live Forever in particular. I still curse whatever idiot made the decision to have the DUDS sign where it is on the stage, because it has haunted all the Magic Tour live footage since then.
    I like the fact that the Budapest show took place at night, with darkness already descended. I think it works better than Wembley for that reason. Also, it's filmed much better, so as a piece of visual history, it's well worth having.
    There wasn't much crowd reaction in my screening. A few people applauded after a couple of songs, and there was a general round of applause from most people at the end, but that was it.
    As for Crazy Little Thing Called Love, the second verse was definitely missing, but presumably that was the case on the original VHS version too. I can't remember, 'cos I've not seen it in about twenty years. I was glad they left in all the inserts with the band members, though Freddie's is so much better than the others. "Houses of Parliament? Are they for sale? How many bedrooms? Servants' quarters...? Not a good thing to say in this country..."
    I wonder where Emma ("E-m-m-a") is now? Presumably she found out she was immortalised on a Queen film shortly after it was originally released.

Much as I love the Budapest concert, I do have issues with the fact that there are a phenomenal amount of shows from the archive that could be issued, but Brian and Roger (and Jim Beach, presumably) don't seem to be listening to the fans in relation to this. Sure, Budapest hasn't been released before, and now we'll have a nice shiny DVD and Blu-Ray and 5.1 sound and ya da ya da, but we already have Wembley from the same tour. Why not put something out from the seventies? Live at the Rainbow 1974 (originally issued on video in the Box of Trix) gets my vote.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement