Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two routers; possible?

Options
  • 25-07-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a computer downstairs which is connected to my Netopia 2247-02
    router (issued to me by Eircom) and (all the way) upstairs I have a laptop.

While I can often enough connect to the router, the connection is usually unstable, and sometimes I can't even connect at all.

I have another Netopia 2247-02 router which I was also given by Eircom, and I was wondering if I could perhaps set them both up at the same time so I could use one upstairs and one downstairs? I think I tried it before and it didn't work automatically, so are there any settings I would need to change (if it is possible)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, this issue is really annoying me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

James G wrote: »

While I can often enough connect to the router, the connection is usually unstable, and sometimes I can't even connect at all.

I have another Netopia 2247-02 router which I was also given by Eircom, and I was wondering if I could perhaps set them both up at the same time so I could use one upstairs and one downstairs? I think I tried it before and it didn't work automatically, so are there any settings I would need to change (if it is possible)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you mean use both on the same phone line at once, then no you can't. If you want to connect one router to another wirelessly, then options exist.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055631293

In the case of the Netopias you may be out of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

James G wrote: »

Best to buy a WAN router with a wireless option. Then run a cat5e upstairs to the WAN router, problem solves. Netopia's are designed to be stand alone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

both of eircoms netopias will be configured as gateways. unless you can set one up the netopia modems in a router configuration, then no.

Id ask eircom (because thats free) before jumping the gun and spending money on a router/bridge repeater though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Overheal wrote: »
    both of eircoms netopias will be configured as gateways. unless you can set one up the netopia modems in a router configuration, then no.

Id ask eircom (because thats free) before jumping the gun and spending money on a router/bridge repeater though.

Eircom won't help with this configuration.

To minimise spend and use the two routers you have, best bet would be to run one network cable upstairs and connect it to the other router.

Configure the upstairs router to be just a switch. Turn off DHCP server, Firewall, NAT etc.

well, if i follow pog's advice, you just point the DNS and gateway settings as the IP of thr router that is acting as the Source.

• Advertisement

well, if i follow pog's advice, you just point the DNS and gateway settings as the IP of thr router that is acting as the Source.

???

Whatever you said, I would NOT advise putting one router behind another unless you knew EXACTLY what you are doing. You are getting into a whole lot of NAT'd NAT troubles.

read my thread here on page one of the forum.

read my thread here on page one of the forum.

No :) Link to it. If you are going to reference other threads, the decent thing to do IS reference it by a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal, this situation is a little different, its 2 routers. What You had in Your situation is a router and an access point, an access point doesn't nat or handle ip addresses. If You disable dhcp, nat and firewall on a router You turn it into an access point and switch, ie it just becomes a bridge onto the network with the other nating and giving out dhcp leases

Advertisement