Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first nct - oil level

• 25-07-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

hi all

first nct tommorrow

my oil level is half-way between the
    "need to fill" and full readings, is that ok?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

As long as you are within the recommended level, like below, between those two lines:
    dipstickmarks.jpg

Did not know they were checking oil level @ NCT though

HTH

Good luck to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

first nct tommorrow

Are NCT's being done on a Sunday now? Is that to help clear the backlog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Yeah they do apparently, I heard that recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Keep your oil topped up to near the max with the CORRECT oil! What car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You should be fine. Under or over would be a fail. They used to let over go in the past but are really clamping down now.

I had my car failed for being slightly over. Pi$$er as the marks on a dipstick are hardly scientific.

• Advertisement

Forget the NCT fail... under is a big no no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭fourmations

gpf101 wrote: »
    Keep your oil topped up to near the max with the CORRECT oil! What car is it?

thanks all

its an 05 cooper s (pretty sure its 05/30 oil, but the manual will confirm this)

the oil is in the middle of the two marks
    so Im sure its fine, i was just wondering if it should
    be topped right up

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I wouldn't bother adding oil if it was in the middle. From my own experience, the volume between min and max isn't very large compared to the total volume in the engine (maybe 100-300ml in 3-4 or more litres, will depend on engine size/type). I'd only start adding if it was approaching the min level. Overfilling can lead to damage on cat converter or some oil seals.

Just keep regularly (weekly) checking the oil level. Its one of the most important, and easiest thing to check on your car. Might also be a good idea to check the service history to see what type of oil was last added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 raffo_2005

yeah i never seen them check oil i agree ^^^ never overfill best have it a little under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They've always been done on a Sunday, I got mine done at half 8 on a Sunday morning about 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

the oil is in the middle of the two marks
    so Im sure its fine, i was just wondering if it should
    be topped right up

Nope, it's fine where it is.

Good luck with the test today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ksimpson wrote: »
    You should be fine. Under or over would be a fail. They used to let over go in the past but are really clamping down now.

I had my car failed for being slightly over. Pi$$er as the marks on a dipstick are hardly scientific.

How do they check oil levels in a warm engine?
    How do they know when to check, My manual specifies checking the oil between 5 and 7 minutes after turning the engine off, after it has reached correct operating temp. how do the testers know for every engine version the correct method to check?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mick.fr wrote: »
    Yeah they do apparently, I heard that recently.
    They have been doing them on Sundays for years now (I got my car done three or four years ago on a Sunday!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I have taken 4 cars through an NCT and have never once seen them actually check the oil level in either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

hi all

first nct tommorrow

my oil level is half-way between the
    "need to fill" and full readings, is that ok?

thanks

The level is perfect - It's spot on.

NEVER allow the readings to go under the min or above the max

If it's under the min - the oil level is too low, and the oil pump sucks in air, instead of oil resulting in no lubrication meaning big bills.

If the oil level is too high (above the max) the crankshaft rotates in the oil, trashing the oil and turning the oil into froth (air/oil mixture - like sudsy water). This froth can be sucked up by the oil pump, meaning air in the pump, followed by big bills. Also, the extra oil can burst seals resulting in bills

In the Almera, when filling the oil with the amount specified in the handbook (2.7litres, IIRC - I check every time mind), the level on the dip-stick after wards is halfway between the max & min.

This reminds me of a problem BL has with some engines blowing oil seals and bearing problems in the '70's in the UK, but the same engines had no problems in Australia. The cause of the problem was that in the UK, people kept the oil level at the "MAX", while down under, people kept the level in the middle. The cure - change the dip-stick with a lower "max" level. The problems didn't re-occur in the UK. Moral of the story - keep the level in the middle.

thanks all

i was thinking after that the oil may not be checked
    as mentioned earlier,

the form says make sure there is adequete oil and water in the car,
    but i suppose that does not necessarily mean they will check,
    it probably just means to make sure the car doesnt explode during testing!

well, my little cooper s failed but only on back tyres!
    which i was pretty sure it would anyway,
    i was advised to just put it throught to see if it needed
    any other work while i was getting tyres

i must say i was impressed enough with the operation up there (deansgrange)
    they were very effiecent and it was a painless expereince all in all,

cheers all

kbannon wrote: »
    They have been doing them on Sundays for years now (I got my car done three or four years ago on a Sunday!)

I am almost 100% that my local test centre (Abbeyfeale) has not operated on a Sunday, up until recently anyway...that may have changed recently.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I have taken 4 cars through an NCT and have never once seen them actually check the oil level in either of them.

I think there is not a lot of consistency between the test centres all the same. As the mechanic said to me the last time I was getting my car prepared for the NCT it will often depend on whether the testers wife/ girlfriend was good to him last night or not!...think theres something in that!

I never seen them checking the oil level on any nct test I took either. Last time round they didn't even as much as open the boot to check condition of spare or if there was a spare!

well, my little cooper s failed but only on back tyres!
    which i was pretty sure it would anyway,
    i was advised to just put it throught to see if it needed
    any other work while i was getting tyres

Ah well fourmations, it could have being a hell of a lot worse. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if they are the run-flat tyres you have on the mini they will probabaly set you back a fair few quid. Reason I know is a girl I work with had to replace run flat tyres on her mini a few months back and she was being quoted up to 300 euro a pop! Seems a bit extortionate to me.

thanks all

john, i am ditching the runflats
    (well, two of them for the moment)
    most cooper s drivers do

runflats are pricey, but they are also a really hard ride!

i actually asked the nct bloke today
    he said no issue with having conventional fronts
    and runflat rears (while the two decent rf's wear out)

cheers

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% formulations but I think I remember my work colleague mentioning that she was told by the garages that you cannot mount conventional tyres on run flat rims. Unsure as she is off on holidays at the moment. Worth checking out and hope you get sorted with little pain for your re-test.

Obviously not a forum of alfa drivers...! Keep her at the max!

Advertisement