Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harddrive on way out but can't figure out how to copy data to new hard drive

Options
  • 25-07-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

My hard drive is on the way out and i've bought a new internal hard drive.

I was hoping to copy everything to the new drive but i can't figure it out,i've seached lots and tried various things. i now think the new drive is set up as a slave to the old one.

Any help appreciated,thanks :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do you have the install disc for yyour OS? If yes then disconnect your old drive and connect the new one and install the OS on that then connect the old drive as a slave and copy the files you want off it.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Hi,thanks for that.i hope i can find the install disc, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You need some hard disk cloning software such as Ghost or Drive Image. There may be free software available to do what you want. Google hard disk cloning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I used clonezilla recently, worked a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Two points from the above posts.....

1) Reistalling has the advantage that you can clean the crap that you've loaded off your system so at the end of the day you might have a machine that runs a bit faster till the rubish builds up again. You'll also be fairly sure you don't start off with any viruses or malware. Downside is if you've installed tweaks to get things running like video codecs to play Divx vids and stuff like that you'll have to remember what you did and go find and reinstall them. You will also need to remember or find any passwords that you might have long forgotten for email accounts and the like. Finally anything not copied over to the new drive will be lost forever when the original dies. Still I'd go for a clean install and copy over the data I wanted.

2) If you are cloning your old disk just make very sure that you are cloning from your old disk with data on it to the new disk. Sounds really dumb but I used clone disks eveyday and its easy if the disks are the same size to clone a new disk with no data to the old disk with data and end up with nothing. Best rule is always clone to a larger disk then you can't easily make that mistake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement