Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Off With Greyhounds

Options
  • 25-07-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I know the costs of going to a trainer and the cost of buying a greyhound but im just wondering about....
    () Can you train a dog without being qualified to train a dog or is there a ruling saying to race a dog you need to be a qualified trainer??
    Prob a stupid question but would like to know thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

No anybody can train a dog. There are no qualified trainers as such, only trainers with experience. Alot of owners of greyhounds would train the dogs themselves. So you could train the dog yourself but I wouldnt recommend this as it dosent sound like you would know what you would be doing. There is a specific way to train dogs and you would need facilities to gallop the dog etc. They also get injured very easily if you dont look after them. You can get a half decent trainer at a reasonable price so would recommend going down that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yeah BUT then you no longer own the dog, you have about as much say as the chinese premier at a green party convention

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You will have to register with the IGB. Have a good browse through www.igb.ie where you will get all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rebeldog

thanks for the info every1.. just wondering wha OLDBOY is on about with the ownership??

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

He means that all the decisions about the dog will be made by the trainer if u send the dog to one. Thats what you are paying for them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

do NOT waste your money going to a trainer most have no idea what their doing.in dogs for 40 years and i know what im talking about.just bought pup cost 5k will run in shelbourne christmas week and pay for my new car.if you have space and time and plenty of patience i can recommend a few pups from 1k to 3k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

There is a lot to Know these days and a trainer would be the best way to get into the Game. And learn whats what.

Advertisement