Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling safe whilst home alone

Options
  • 25-07-2009 11:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do you do to feel safe at night when you're home alone? I never really minded it in my college apartment, but I hate it now that I'm back at my parent's house. It's quite isolated and freaks the hell out of me! I leave lights on upstairs and down, I leave the place messy so it looks obvious someone is home, and I turn lights on and close curtains in unoccupied bedrooms. I also have a hockey stick beside my bed, just in case! I can never decide whether to put the alarm on or not. It's not connected to the police, and is prone to go off randomly. I think I'd die if it went off when I was on my own during the night! Maybe I'm just overly paranoid though. Do you take any extra measures when you're alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

:D My Dad gets up really early for work and this one morning he pressed the wrong code for the alarm and it went off, I jumped out of bed ready to pick up a weight bar and run down stairs when I seen the clock and realised it was only my Dad getting ready for work. He turned off the alarm quick enough, but took ages for my racing heart to slow down, I dont think I fell back asleep after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It freaks me out too, I also would get my husband to give me the vest that he has worn the day before and I would sleep on his side of the bed and hug it until I eventually get to sleep. I would also have an alarm going off every few hours to make sure that things are OK and my husband will ring me first thing in the morning to make sure that things are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Close the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I live alone and have to say it doesn't bother me in the least. I never have any lights on at night cos need complete darkness to sleep. Tbh I never really thought about being vulnerable to break-ins, etc. I have a dog that sleeps indoors so I suppose he might deter some intruders, even though he's a useless guard dog! :o
    Obviously you have to be sensible (lock doors, etc.) but I think if you worry too much about something that could happen, you'll just completely freak yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Funny this thread should come up, my parents and sisters have just come back from a 6 day holiday, during which I've been home alone.

I don't think I'd mind living on my own in an apartment or a small house, but our family home is pretty big and in the arsehole of nowhere, so I was pretty freaked out. This is the second time I haven't gone away with my parents but last year my OH was here with me, so didn't really feel it.

Between the wind and the thunderstorms I was up and down the stairs all night checking if windows were locked or where the banging was coming from, e.g. One night I could here this banging upstairs when I was downstairs and I got freaked thinking some coulda climbed in the window or something, and it was just the wind making the window bang, there was me at my bedroom door with a knife and all (don't ask why, I probably would just give the knife to the potential burgler out of fear :rolleyes:)

I feel safe when my parents are home, or when my OH stays with me, but see that, being home alone in a big house in a road prone to break-ins? Feckin nerves were shot. Rang my dad twice at 4oc in the morning cos I thought I could hear something downstairs, and it was something falling in the dishwasher, rang my mum in tears one morning cos I thought I left the front door key on the hall table and it was in the door (forgot I'd gone out to lock the gates just before I went to bed), and my poor fella got numerous phonecalls of me freaking out....

Hate it. I did all the stuff you do Faith, leaving lights on in other rooms, leaving the radio on upstairs, closing curtains and putting the alarm on at about 7oc in the evening.

Going away at the same time as my parents next time. Not able for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I dont mind it so much now but when i first moved into an apartment with my son when he was 4, i was terrified!

It was a ground floor 2 bed apartment. I would normally leave the hall light on so it would shine in my bedroom or the bedroom lamp.

One night the alarm went off and I jumped out of my sleep, reached over to turn the lamp on, and it wouldnt turn on, :eek: the place was in darkness completely with the alarm going off. I have never been so so terrified in my life i was convinced someone was in the apartment and had cut the electricity (i'm extremely paranoid :D)

I thought my heart would come out of my chest it was beating so hard and fast but like any good horror film i of course had to investigate and go turn off the alarm that was in the hall, go get some candles in the kitchen by feeling my way along walls, i was convinced i was going to touch a hairy arm or something :D

I cant describe the feeling, hopefully i will never feel it again i thought i was having a seizure i was shaking so bad. Turns out the esb went which set off the alarm.

I stayed up til dawns first light though i was still too scared to go back to sleep then i had to get up for work about 15 mins later :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Interesting. I've never been scared when home alone, either my college home or my home home ...seems like it's something common though?! :p
    I don't see the point in worrying. I just do as I normally would do when there's someone else home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

I always lock the bedroom door and spend half the night listening to the sounds of the house im worse if in a different house then get no sleep at all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'd be the same in that it's never bothered me being alone in a dorm or an apartment, but in a house I'm a lot more . . . aware.

My OH works nights now, so I'm used to going to sleep alone. When I get ready to go to bed, I'll turn all of the lights on in the house and go room by room, checking closets, under the futon, behind the shower curtain, etc., and make sure I'm there by myself. Then I'll go ahead and turn all of the lights off except one, which I leave on for him. We have a door to a deck in our bedroom, so when I go to sleep, I'll lie in a way so that I can see both that door and the bedroom door.

I've been known to sleep with the fireplace poker next to the bed, but with my new routine, I don't really feel the need to do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I am in the midst of it.... I am worse during the winter with the long evenings but if my Oh is away I put on the alarm asap (as soon as I get home so I am sure there is no on there), pull down the binds in certain rooms and have the timers on through the night. Am getting better at it and it just takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

My little bro goes straight to the tool-box and carries around a hammer when he's home alone. If he hears the door opening, he'll pick up the hammer just in case.

My older sister does the same thing except she uses a carving knife from the kitchen instead of a hammer.

Personally, I like being home alone and having some time to myself so I'm usually pretty chilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Four houses in our area have been broken into in the last couple of months, I never liked being in the house alone anyway, but now that I am here alone most days I have gotten worse.

I've taken to carrying a little sharp vegetable knife around with me :eek: But I do have a baseball bat aswell.

A friend suggested to buy a big dog kennel to give the impression there is a big dog in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ive lived alone for years, and it doesnt bother me.

i lock the front door again as soon as i'm home, but i just think thats common sense.

when i go to bed i double check the front and patio doors are locked, and i go into each room to close the windows.

i dont purposely leave lights on, but sometimes i fall asleep while reading and so the light would be on all night.

i do sleep with the bedroom door open - probably a mix of there being no need to shut it as i dont have housemates and the fact that i would be alerted straightaway if there was a dodgy noise or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Interesting. I've never been scared when home alone, either my college home or my home home ...seems like it's something common though?! :p
    I don't see the point in worrying. I just do as I normally would do when there's someone else home too.

Me too. I'm amazed how many people are scared when home alone:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've never really been scared when im in the house on my own, and we're in an isolated enough area....total opposite when im babysitting, even though most of the places are in the middle of towns. Something about being somewhere unfamiliar, but when it gets to that stage when the kids are in bed, im sitting watching tv and then i start to hear the house creaking or something....cant count the number of times i've been absolutely convinced theres someone upstairs :o Aswel, not knowing the neighbours and knowing your only contact is kids under 8....doesnt do much to ease the nerves :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

As others have said, depends on the location. A built-up area, no bother. I'm happy as larry when I'm alone in my apartment but it's in a very built-up area, obviously lots of neighbours are in close proximity, and it's not ground-floor either. Plus, I think a dwelling being quite small and compact makes things feel safer.
    However, a fairly big house which is quite secluded and isolated (i.e. my parents' place): I couldn't do it. Fairly paranoid and irrational really as it's highly unlikely a particular house where the person is alone is going to be targeted out of all the other houses... but it's not impossible either. Colossally improbable but ever so slightly possible. That's what my thoughts would always come back to, no matter how much I'd try to rationalise things.

Tip though: I don't think it's a good idea to leave a number of lights on during the night as that could look too much like trying to make it appear as if there are people there (which it is :)) whereas if there really were people there, they would be asleep and their lights switched off. Also, I think if there's at least one car there, it takes the edge off things. Closing all the curtains is a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm so unfreaked out by it that I actually have to set an alarm on my phone for about 11 at night to make sure I remember to lock the doors - someone else usually does it most of the time!

I actually love getting a night in with the house to myself, it so rarely happens.

However I do sleep with a rape alarm hanging on my bedpost every night - whether I'm home alone or not - just in case! Like, never mind if someone broke in - what if I was really sick or something and couldn't leave my bed? Also mine is the only bedroom downstairs in my house, so everyone else seems really far away. Also - the height of paranoia - I test the alarm every few weeks, just to check it's still working. I've never had to use it though, thankfully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'll be doing it for the first time next weekend when my boyfriend goes to Liverpool with his friends. My parents might be coming up to stay but if not I think I'll be okay, I don't really get spooked but I find it hard to sleep without him now.

If it's at home at my parents' house it's a different story. They live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing but land and a few houses and there's a big forestry at the end of the garden at back of the house so it's very creepy looking. It doesn't help either that the dogs bark if a leaf falls outside so I bring all the dogs in to the house to keep them quiet and for protection (not that they'd do anything if someone did break in, they'd proabably lick them to death!) I hate staying at home on my own in their house but have rarely had to. It's a million times worse in the country, everything is scarier after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

doesn't bother me at all, but used to work with a girl who lived in a rural location. Herself and hubbie built their dream home and as he was a salesman was away every now and again. She refused to sleep there on her own as she said she didn't feel safe as it was so isolated. Always had to ask a friend to stayover or stay somewhere else, felt really sorry for the girl as this was supposed to be her dream house. Nothing ever happened there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Never been scared living on my own, prefer being on my own then having people around to be honest. Have lived in the back end of the country and in the middle of New York, apartments, college dorms, and houses, never any worries. Half the time I leave my front door unlocked cus I can't remember where I put my keys and the back downstairs window open so the cats can come in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I love it during the day, when I have lots of space to myself. At night though it can be scary... but only because I watch too many horror films. After I watched 'The Ring' I had to cover any TV's in the house when I was on my own, in case any creepy little dead girls crawled out of them...:pac:

I suppose I really should have been more worried about somebody breaking in or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dudess wrote: »
    Tip though: I don't think it's a good idea to leave a number of lights on during the night as that could look too much like trying to make it appear as if there are people there (which it is :)) whereas if there really were people there, they would be asleep and their lights switched off. Also, I think if there's at least one car there, it takes the edge off things. Closing all the curtains is a very good idea.

Maybe it's not, but I close the curtains too. I leave them open a crack so there's a tiny bit of light visible to the outside. If I'm out though, my parents leave the hall and landing lights on until I get home, so I work on that principle when I'm alone so potential robbers might assume someone is out but may be home soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I dont normally feel afraid to be on my own, but if I ever do Ill bring my two Rotties in to prowl around the house & take one of the samurai swords off the wall :D I is ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

had the house to myself for the weekend and i got creeped out, but it only happens when i land back to a dark house. like if i was in the house all day i wouldnt get scared once night came, but because i dont get home from work until after 11 the house is in darkness and thats when i get freaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

It's only when it's dark outside that I mind being home alone!

I never seem to worry too much when I'm in Dublin, as I live on a quiet road and there's never anyone around!

I do get a bit scared when I'm home alone in my family's house in Cork though. I guess it's just the fact it's a big house there's a lot of big scary trees in the garden that make creepy shadows :( [not to mind the assorted weirdos that live in the local area!!]

When I was a small child, my family's house in Dublin was robbed and my dad's friend was killed by a burglar... from that stemmed a life-long fear of my house being broken into. It's probably the only thing in life I'm truly afraid of.
    It's not the fact they're stealing from you, it's the fact they're able to break into somewhere you considered to be safe.

When I am home alone, I leave all the lights on. Have the TV on, even if I'm not watching it and draw the curtains ... I also check every door and window in the house is locked about once every ten minutes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Wouldn't bother me much at all. I live alone anyway. I suppose if I was in a somewhat more remote area or a house that wasn't the size of shoebox it might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You'd want to be really f*ckin' stupid to break into my house during the night. The (badly worn and obviously heavily used) punchbag is hanging in the conservatory which you'd (more or less) have to come through. Also it's clear that there are kids in the house and therefore the chances that one or more adults are already awake are decent enough. I recently found out that the mrs wears pyjama bottoms and puts on the alarm when I'm not there though.

edit: For those looking to reduce their chances of a break in, I remember hearing the following are deterrents before:

alarm
    dog
    spikey plants at the back (i.e. making it difficult to get over the back wall)
    kids clothes (particularly infants) hanging on the line

There was other stuff but I can't remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I like being home alone in general but I do get a bit paranoid when in my parents house alone. It's usually just when I'm going to bed though. I have to go around and check that the doors are locked twice and I check all the windows too. I think it's just that it's fairly remote and isolated.

Oh I also have to leave my radio on all night if I'm alone it blocks out all those creaky radiator noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm always home alone at night. I live with my Mother and my younger brother. My Mum is usually at work/out and my brother is always out with friends. So when i come home from work it's just me and the dog! But I've been left home alone since I was a young teenager, never found it scary or anything. I actually kinda like being alone. If I get bored I walk over to a friends house or something. Same story whilst at college.

But I do know a few people who get scared being home alone. People aged 18+. Don't get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

just spent the whole weekend alone for the first time in ages and I don't want it to end!!

didn't bother in the slightest, was warm last nite so left all thw windows open too, so was more of an inviation if anyone wanted to come in!!

generally leave a hall light on, but have that on all the time anyway. always in darkness thru the nite.

Way i see it, if anyone was determind enough to come in a light on won't make a difference!!

Advertisement