Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

named driver on car insurance policy

Options
  • 26-07-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    My wife has a car and I am a named driver on her insurance policy.
    We are getting a second car, can she get a 2nd insurance policy and haved me be a named driver on this also.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Louis Lane 6

Yes she can get a second policy in her own name but the premium that she will pay for this policy, with you as a named driver, will be expensive as she will be rated as if she has had no previous insurance as you can't carry over a No Claims Bonus from one car to another (unless you cancel the policy on the first car).

The most cost effective way will be in fact to insure the 2nd car in your name and put your wife on the policy as the named driver. The reason being is that you will be able to claim a discount for each year that you have been named on your wifes existing policy up to a maximum of 5 years(in a way it almost acts as a No Claims Bonus). Ask your existing insurance company/broker about this but make sure to shop the market (get quotes based on your driving experience) before going ahead with any quote. If you do go with this option you will need to get a "letter of driving experience" from your wifes existing company/broker. It's a common thing in the insurance industry for a spouse/partner to insure a second car in this way.

Advertisement