Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with forms

Options
  • 26-07-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, currently im creating a site free of charge for a GAA club and need some help. I currently have a form set up that sends all the info added to the form to my email.

Now its starting to take up alot of time and im wondering what is the easiest way to be able to get this form to update a webpage automatically.

If possible i would like to be able to have them choose what age group the report is for (e.g under 16s or under 14s, etc) and then it will update only the reports for that age group.

So at the moment i have a form - they fill in the form and its emailed to me and i update the relevent page! But now i would like that to happen automatically.

Any help please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Where is the site hosted?

You would need something like PHP and MySQL to do it. PHP would be used to handle the form and store the data in a database powered by MySQL. Its a very common setup for websites. Its something I've personally worked with for about 4 years.

If you don't fancy learning a new language yourself, there should be plenty of people who would be willing to give you a hand if its just one form and a page to display the information.

Could I get a link to the website? I may be able to help get you setup if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

I have very little but some expierance with PHP and mySQL. Is there any decent tutorials as i would like to try and learn this stuff for myself - kinda why i volinteered to do this for the club

The site is rathangangaa dot com

The actual form is behind the login area. Its only for the coaches (Mentors) to use

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi There,

You should seriously consider using PHP and MySQL for this site. The Login area of this site is not very secure.

All of this could be done in PHP and MySQL very easily.

MySQL is a database application that stores whatever information you want. PHP is a programming language that will retrieve all reports from the database and print them on the page each time it is loaded.

Have a look online for some PHP tutorials..when you are happy with that have a quick look at connecting to MySQL from php. I can help you designing the DB if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would you consider changing the site to a CMS e.g. Wordpress or CMS Made Simple?

In Wordpress the match reports could be a certain category and you'd see the latest report first.
    In CMSMS, you would create pages for each group and allow certain people edit those pages. This would prevent unauthorised changes of other pages.

CMSMS might be the easiest to get going because I think that your current site layout/theme would be easier to port to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Do you realise that every username and password is visible to anyone visiting that website?

Anyone who looks at that file you have stored the users and passwords in can just login. It isn't secure at all.

Also, you have a link at the bottom of the submit reports page that shouldn't be there. See the blue dot a little to the right of the button and hover over it.

I agree with daymobrew. You should consider using a CMS. There are plenty of free ones out there that will provide the functionality you require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Ronan_ wrote: »
    Do you realise that every username and password is visible to anyone visiting that website?

Anyone who looks at that file you have stored the users and passwords in can just login. It isn't secure at all.

Also, you have a link at the bottom of the submit reports page that shouldn't be there. See the blue dot a little to the right of the button and hover over it.

I agree with daymobrew. You should consider using a CMS. There are plenty of free ones out there that will provide the functionality you require.

Ronan_ is spot on, this is a real security problem which should be your top priority to sort out. Anyone with a small bit of know how could access the "secure area" of your website. I agree with previous speakers, if I were you I'd seriously consider using an open source CMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

FYI: Typo: "Opponents" should be "Opponents"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

chmod 644 <your login script> immediately as a quick patch

Advertisement