Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irresponsible/inconsiderate flat mate - how to deal with him

Options
  • 26-07-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

We're having some problems with a flat mate and mainly everyday normal responsibilities.

We've got some rules in the house to keep everyone happy. Such as not electric showers after 11, make use of the immersion instead. Yet for him and a friend it's ok to have a shower at 2 in the morning because they didn't have time to wait for the immersion to heat up and because they would be getting up 3hrs later. It's not a major problem but its inconsiderate to the ones getting up for work early the next morning.

There are other small problems he's causing but none as big as yesterday. Myself and my brother got back to the house after lunch only to find the slidding door out back to be wide open. It's not the 1st time this has happened, it happened before and it happened again tonight.

How do you deal with a flat mate like this? We've sat him down and told him to stop/start doing things etc numerous times. I'm away now for a week but intend to give him a good ear full when I get back. I think one of the girls said she was going to take the key from the door and keep it locked, which isnt fair either.

I don't mean to come across as a winger, I'm one of the more laid back flat mates but all the little things are becoming 1 big thing slowly but surely and its starting to get onto everyones nerves. And jsut to add the above is one of many things that we don't like about him, he tends to put his friends 1st at the expense of us. He really doesn't find in with everyone elses lifestyle that lives there.

So. how to deal with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

two choices here

1. you move
    2. he moves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jozi wrote: »
    He really doesn't find in with everyone elses lifestyle that lives there.

Ask him to move out. You've given him ample opportunity to cop on and he hasn't taken any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

who_ru wrote: »
    two choices here

1. you move
    2. he moves

We won't be moving, rent, location and house are all way to nice and good.

We've considered option two but how do you make someone move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

jozi wrote: »

We've considered option two but how do you make someone move out?

sit him down as a group and be open and honest with him and tell him you want him to leave. have to give a month's notice. 1 person cannot be allowed to dominate a house share situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its not that simple. it depends who has signed the lease. If he has signed the lease you cant force him to leave.

if hes just there as part of a hosue share and the lease is in somebody elses name then thats fine.

• Advertisement

He's not on the lease.

One of the girl said something to him, apparently it wasn't him leaving the door open the last time. I'm still going to say something to him next time i see him.

We'll see how he reacts and if he copes himself on a bit.

well if hes not on the lease you can ask him to move with some notice.

that said if he didnt leave the door open it seems a bit OTT to ask him to leave because he has a shower after 11pm when the time he needs to leave the house at seems to indcate he doesnt work a normal 9-5 job.

He has left the door open on several occasions. Just been told he's agreed on his own accord that there should be a rule that we close and lock the door every time we're finished out the back. It never bothered me to check for open doors/windows before I leave the house, takes all of a few seconds.

He's just like a child to live with and no one likes giving out constantly. He was specifically told no smoking in the house before he moved in. I could smell cigarettes up in my room a few times and when confronted (by me and a flat mate who doesn't smoke) about it he denied it. He had to be caught 2x hanging out of his window before he stopped. And this from a 25 year old :confused:

sounds like a clash of personalaties. probably best for all then to tell him its not working out heres a months notice.

that said realise you mightnt get somebody in to replace him straight away so it could cost you a bit extra in terms of your rent till you find a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

D3PO wrote: »
    it seems a bit OTT to ask him to leave because he has a shower after 11pm when the time he needs to leave the house at seems to indcate he doesnt work a normal 9-5 job.

It it not OTT to be angry about someone using the shower at 2am on weeknights, especially an electric shower...it would wake most people up.

If he's working unsociable hours he should either have a shower when he gets home or get a place on his own I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement