Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water on top of immersion heater in cylinder

Options
  • 26-07-2009 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello Everyone

I have bought a 25 years old house some months ago and as I had expected, there are some problems, the most recent one is with the immersion heater. I replaced the electrical cable that goes from the immersion heater to the switch and then I noticed that a small amount of water is accumulated on the bottom of the box that encloses the electrical connectors of the immersion heater.

To explain it more clearly where the water is, please take a look at this picture:

cylinder.gif

I found some water inside the box that is marked with nr. 6.

The amount of water is really low but I am worried, I am sure it is not supposed to be there.

So my question is of course how to fix this? Is it necessary to replace the immersion heater element or some silicone could as well be ok?

If the immersion heater element has to be replaced, how much would it cost to get it done by a plumber?

Do you know of any reliable plumber in Galway whom you would trust for this job?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

joe as we all know water and electricity dont mix

i reckon your immersion works fine which is the cause of the condensation inside the box. trick of to get some plumbers tape and seal the joint better or see if there is a small hole if so plug it with silicone.

again common sences prevails and let the water in the immersion tank cool down. turn off power. dry the box out as best as you can and seal up the holes.

if in doubt call a pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Joe I would advice strongly against trying to seal up inside an immersion with any substances. An immersion must be completely sealed from the cylinder. The only place you should experience a leak is on the connection to the cylinder. I have never come across a leak from inside the immersion and if indeed there is a leak coming from inside I don't feel any silicone or PTFE will seal it. As mentioned it could be condensation but again this is strange.

Unless your fully sure what your attempting I wouldn't be tampering with it as there is a fair amount a KW inside the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

as stratocaster and myself have said it could be condesation but this is uncommon and as i have said electricity and water dont mix so consult a professional as it uncommon.

on an unrelated topic how did you discover water inside the box?

( you must have opened it for a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bjdodo

Thank you very much for your answers!

Actually the box is not closing very well (this is also a big concern for me because of the risk of someone touching the cables there), so I guess we can rule out condensation (also the cover is dry on the inside). The heater works all right, it is just that water that makes me worry. And I do believe that it is water from inside the cylinder.

So back to my second question: approximately how much would it cost to get the heater replaced? Are the heaters standardised, or they come with the cylinder and then I need to get a new cylinder?

Thank you again!

Joe

I went back and checked and the cover IS wet from the inside. I do not know how I failed to notice that before. So these plastic covers usually seal the air from the electronics so that condensation does not happen? Well this is not the case in this house :-/ So probably if I fix the cover, I'd fix problem? This does not seem that difficult. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Replacement is the only option ,condensation is highly unlikely.
    Plastic covers have been banned as they are a fire hazard

Hi Aujopimur,

Thank you for your reply! I have completely removed the plastic cover, dried the area from water and left it alone for a while, the water is there again, so it is confirmed that it is not condensation.

Do you think the whole cylinder needs to be replaced, or only the heating element?

Thank you!
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Sounds like your Element is corroded and water is leaking through. Time to replace the Heating element. I'd isolate the power to the Element, until your ready to repalce it.

bjdodo wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your answers!

Actually the box is not closing very well (this is also a big concern for me because of the risk of someone touching the cables there), so I guess we can rule out condensation (also the cover is dry on the inside). The heater works all right, it is just that water that makes me worry. And I do believe that it is water from inside the cylinder.

So back to my second question: approximately how much would it cost to get the heater replaced? Are the heaters standardised, or they come with the cylinder and then I need to get a new cylinder?

Thank you again!

Joe

I knew it was'nt right, you need to replace the immersion. Its not a big job, both a plumber or some electricians could do the task. If its a standard 18"x36" cylinder, you will need a 24" dual immersion. I replaced an immersion a few days ago, 24" dual was less than 30 euro. Fitting one should only take 20 to 30 min provided there is no other issues.

Thank you Everyone!! I'll try to find a plumber tomorrow. I really appreciate your help!!

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Koolaboola

I knew it was'nt right, you need to replace the immersion. Its not a big job, both a plumber or some electricians could do the task. If its a standard 18"x36" cylinder, you will need a 24" dual immersion. I replaced an immersion a few days ago, 24" dual was less than 30 euro. Fitting one should only take 20 to 30 min provided there is no other issues.
    Hi! interesting, I've a quote from a plumber for €130-150 to replace the element. I won't attempt it myself so have no real option but to pay the professional.

Koolaboola wrote: »
    Hi! interesting, I've a quote from a plumber for €130-150 to replace the element. I won't attempt it myself so have no real option but to pay the professional.

That seems a lot to me, I couldn't justify that price if it was a straight swap with no hassle. 20 to 30 min.

If I had trouble off turning water etc and it ran into an hours + work I might charge those prices. I don't change them often but most times its just under 100 euro. To give you an idea, most houses where I am from could get an entire oil boiler service for the price you have been quoted.

Advertisement