Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken fibula

Options
  • 26-07-2009 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭

hi i recently broke my left fibula, the cast is due off next week.
    just looking to see if anyone could give me any advice on physiotherapy lookin to get back running as soon as possible
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Do you mean you want contact details of a physio?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You could ask your doctor when you get you cast off - there is sometimes physio in the hospital. They mightn't automatically send you to physio if you are young - younger people 'bounce' back from injuries more quickly. However, if you want to get back running as soon as possible, it makes sense to go to physio - just make sure not to rush things.

When getting the cast off, they usually saw it off first, then you go for an x-ray after it's off and then you talk to a doctor (may only be a junior doctor, not necessarily a consultant) who examines your x-rays and tells you whether you are good to go or whether you need to get another cast on for about 2 weeks. When you are talking to this doctor, you could ask about physio.

But remember, medical advice you receive from your doctor is 100x better than any advice you receive off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

I broke my Fibula, just above the ankle. I had a cast on for 6 weeks. Had lots of muscle wastage in my left leg. First of all your going to have to get full range of motion back into your ankle, build your leg muscles back up and do plenty of strecthing.
    You won't be running for a while. Since I broke the fibula just above the ankle, my ankle was swollen when ever I walked any distance. This was the case for about 6 to 9 months.
    When the hospital removes the cast for good, you will see a physio. They will give you a full list of exercises. Do them everyday and in most case's every few hours.
    Doing calf raises on the stairs is a very important exercise and placing your leg under your butt and sitting back on it, helps strecth the ankle. Then rotating the ankle and back and forth. Walking to get exercise and build your leg muscles back up slowly does it. You won't be running for a few months, well I wasn't anyway.

Bull76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Yeah you'll most likely be seen by a physio after you have the cast removed, you'll only have physio follow-up after this if needed. No point in comparing yourself to other people, everybody is different and you may be good to go straight away or it could take several months or longer.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Get medical advice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement