Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get the most from you phone !

Options
  • 26-07-2009 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

hi all, i have a nokia e51 (wifi) mobile and im wondering what good and intresting applications you have downloaded for your phones and what there good for . can be any type apple , windows mobile , symbian etc ,

so far ive managed to get .

facebook ................ ovious

skyfire ..... great web browser that can actuall look at all online videos and because of its flashplayer i can play facebook poker on it ..

msn messanger ............ ovious but was had to get on my phone for some reason

youtube... an other ovious one but a great app none the less

google .... the home screen search is a great feature

irremote ,,,,,,,,,, using the phones infared i can use it as a remote for tv , dvd , and so on very handy

symella....... my favouriate find so far . basically its limewire for mobiles and it works amazingly .... very easy to use (like a dumb version of the way u use limewire )and downloads within a minute or two depending on the connection

so whay lil gems have you got on ur device ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

is irremote any good? i have an N95 8GB and i've been meanin to try it. is it worth payin for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

E51 as well.

Nimbuzz - for MSN, Skype and VOIP calls (yes, I know the E51 can do VOIP by default, see below)

Google Maps - incredibly accurate since the last update, despite the lack of a GPS

Skyfire - I'd occasionally use this. I wanted it for the RTE Player but it seems to route everything through a foreign proxy, so no good.

Bart - for checking Dart timetables. Thanks Sam!

Calcium - much better than the built-in calculator for simple calculations

Screenshot - for grabbing screenshots of the phone

i-Nigma - for reading those phone barcode things

Joikuspot - sharing my phone's internet connection with other devices easily. It's been great on a couple of occasions when my Wifi's caved in at home. I'll use this a lot more often if I buy an iPod Touch at some point.

Synble - syncs all my messages and call logs to a server, for viewing online. It can also forward all texts to email or Google Talk. I had a plan for actually using this for something, but I haven't done anything about it yet, but it was free so it's still there.

YouTube - The old version crashed the phone. The new version rocks.

SmartConnect - makes a prioritised list of my preferred network connections, and picks the best one available, so I don't have to choose one every time. The only problem is it conflicts with the built-in VOIP over 3G/EDGE, so I've to use Nimbuzz for that. The dev team is apparently working on a fix for this.

Opera Mini - Fantastic web browser that doesn't force you to use the mobile versions of web pages, has a great RSS implementation, is fast and saves you a fortune on data costs by compressing the data. The only thing missing is multiple windows. And Flash, but meh to that one really.

Cabbage - for sending webtexts off my phone. Thanks again Sam!

Fring - for when Nimbuzz occasionally acts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Try Symtorrent too (Y)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I have a Nokia E71:

Skyfire - Really handy for viewing web pages. Faster than the standard Nokia browser. Even plays flash files on other sites other than Youtube.

Accuweather - Just to stay up to date with the weather we're going to have - no suprise it's rain :p

Internet Radio - As the name suggests, listening to radio stations worlwide

Multiscanner - Allows you to take a picture of text from a book and it's automatically written into your phone.

UpCode - Lets you scan those special barcodes

Mobile Medic - Gives you steps in treating injuries.

Screenshot - Take screenshots of your phone

Lottery Number Generator - I don't pick my own lotto numbers so I use this app to pick them for me. I even won €12 on the Euromillions 2 weeks ago :pac:

WinRar - Opens .rar files on your phone.

Larkin501 wrote: »
    Skyfire - Really handy for viewing web pages. Faster than the standard Nokia browser. Even plays flash files on other sites other than Youtube.
    I don't want to derail this thread completely, but I just have one question about this: does this mean that the Nokia browser on the E71 can't handle the RTE player?

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    I don't want to derail this thread completely, but I just have one question about this: does this mean that the Nokia browser on the E71 can't handle the RTE player?

I'll check. . .

No, it doesn't handle it. You need Adobe Flash (Even though the phone is built with Adobe Flash Lite) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

facebook ................ ovious

facebook is ****e. srsly

there is a net-monitor proggy for the e51, a bit of a pain to install though. link

+1 for Symtorrent

i find that fring and those suck, use the built in VoiP client, its much better

PuTTY

PyS60

Talkonaut

towel401 wrote: »
    i find that fring and those suck, use the built in VoiP client, its much better
    For SIP, yes it is, no question. But it doesn't support MSN or Skype, which a lot of people would use a lot.

Out of interest, do you find Talkonaut good then?

Breezer wrote: »
    For SIP, yes it is, no question. But it doesn't support MSN or Skype, which a lot of people would use a lot.

Out of interest, do you find Talkonaut good then?

i just use talkonaut for jabber nothing else and its fairly good for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Lads can you post links where applicable? There's a section for applications in the FAQ that I can update then after.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I've found out that Opera's browser is a lot better than Skyfire. It just seems to run smoother on the E71.

Just go to this website on your phone:
    [url]Http://mini.opera.com[/url]

Except it doesn't play flash on every site which can be a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Scrumdog

I found 10 numbers on mine,and when you press them you can actually make a phone call.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Scrumdog wrote: »
    I found 10 numbers on mine,and when you press them you can actually make a phone call.
    All at once?

Scrumdog wrote: »

Jealous because you have a phone like this that can't use all these cool apps :pac:.

Keeping on thread, LiveTV is an app for watching live tv.

Will post link later if I can find it

Jealous because you have a phone like this that can't use all these cool apps :pac:.

I wish i had a phone like in that pic, and most of those apps do suck. just front-ends for some web 2.0 service could well be dead in a year and a half whoop dee ****ing doo

towel401 wrote: »
    I wish i had a phone like in that pic, and most of those apps do suck. just front-ends for some web 2.0 service could well be dead in a year and a half whoop dee ****ing doo

At least we can use them today :D

And if you're looking for a classic phone. . .

At least we can use them today :D

And if you're looking for a classic phone. . .

thats just a low-end motorola phone put into a nice big box.

i was srsly thinking of getting an ol nokia 9000 or something. still has email over csd and all that shizzle but its ****ing oldschool. twould be nice to get something like an olschool Nokia but with LTE support lolz just to make it future proof

• Registered Users Posts: 54,185 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I find opera mini slow on my nokia n95

slow in terms of the menu and adding bookmarks,surfing is fast enough

why is it slow ?

also any link for the irremote ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

HTC TC
    Windows Mobile 6

Tomtom navigator.

Google maps (satellite view is cool).

Mapopolis: Basic mapping

TCPMP/betaplayer: Video player (wide range of codecs)

Worldmate. Comprehensive travel app (flight times etc)

Kinoma Freeplay. Comprehensive multimedia app (Orb, Youtube, Flickr, radiostations etc)

Tomeraider 3. Reference ebook reader (read Wikipedia file offline on your device etc)

SPB mobileshell.
    : Lovely UI

Gmail java app.

Yahoo Go 3.0: Nice range of widgets in one app (youtube, mail, weather etc)

Windows Live Messenger.

Pocket Express.: News, weather, stocks, maps, travel etc in one app.

Vtap.: Billiant app for looking up wikipedia articles/online videos.

MDonTap.: Download Medline article abstracts.

Metro.: Nice metro/tube/subway app

Iris browser.

Skyfire browser.: Nice, fully-featured browser.

Opera mobile and Opera Mini.

Hubdog.: Powerful podcast/RSS app

Mobile Justice.: Allows you to track the GPS coordinates of your phone if you lose it.

Skype Mobile.

Fring.

SPB TV.: Streams TV channels.

BART: Irish bus and rail times- handy

IRL cinema guide.

Cabbage: Very handy internet text app

Golden Pages java app: Very handy.

Eircom phonebook java app: Very handy.

Gwatch: Nice stopwatch.

Fizz weather.

Handy Converter.: Very neat converter app.

Isilo.: reference reader

Scan2pdf.: Scans documents into your phone.

Pnotepad: Handy notepad app.

PHM Regedit.

SPB GPRS monitor.

Today agenda.

Contact manager: Nice finger-friendly replacement for native contacts program.

SunMoon.: Tells you rise/set times of sun and moon.

FastCleanup: Handy cleanup app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

hi folks i just added these to the nokia

cabbage ......thanks guys
    screenshot .......

GAMES
    ghosts and goblins

puzzle bobble

mario bros

championship manager 09

csi the game

fight night 4

wheres wally

hyundai racing

mini golf

south park

allen carrs quit smoking

mobile karaoke

got all of these from a website http://www.mobileddl.com/

normally i wouldnt use one of these sites but i created an account and to my amazment i was able to download the games , apps , software etc for free with no crap and spam and the installs are very simple using nokia suite on the pc ............... thousands of apps to chose from but you only aloud 10 downloads per day .... didnt have to give and details other than email address and it supports all phone makes sony , motorola , lg , iphones and so on ............. so give it a look if ur bored

• Advertisement

normally i wouldnt use one of these sites but i created an account and to my amazment i was able to download the games , apps , software etc for free with no crap and spam and the installs are very simple using nokia suite on the pc ............... thousands of apps to chose from but you only aloud 10 downloads per day .... didnt have to give and details other than email address and it supports all phone makes sony , motorola , lg , iphones and so on ............. so give it a look if ur bored

Those sharing websites are really handy for real games. You can also find others at http://www.mobile9.com No spam or ads either on their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭billbond4

For Windows Mobile

Cabbage Mobile, Best App Invented !!
    http://cabbagetexter.com/

SPB Phone Suite, http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/phonesuite/
    Allows you to create profiles on your WM phone.

SPB Traveller, http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/traveler/faq.html

HTC FM Radio ,nice interface to your inbuilt FM Radio.
    HTC ez inputXT9, gives you more user friendly keyboards, like fully qwerty and classic mobile phone keypad,
    HTC Calcolatrice, nicer calculator on your WM phone.
    NoDatainRoaming, automatically turns off your GRPS when your roaming
    --> You need to register on xda forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/
    HTC
    Enlarge Start Menu, its in the XDA site as well
    GravityMobile MusicID, Like Sony Ericssons Track ID for WM
    Cliffords Xperia Tweak, allows you to change the LEDs on your X1, option to disable Converstaion style MMS/SMS, Disable Message Sent Notification, Change Default Browser etc.
    MyPlayer, allows you to watch ITV and BBC outside of the UK
    All of these on XDA site

IconPhonEx, cool interface for contacts and phone handling http://www.iconsoft.com/

Xtrakt, Cool game for your X1, I found it on the xda site as well, it was supposed to be in the latest firmware release of the X1, but didnt make it.

gtrab Sony Ericsson R3A Camera, allows you to geotag and set Auto Flash on your X1

YouTube, Skype and CNN Panel (if you have an Xperia

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

billbond4 wrote: »
    Cabbage Mobile, Best App Invented !!
    http://cabbagetexter.com/

Why thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭billbond4

Your welcome.
    Saved me a fortune on texts while im abroad at the moment, and use up most of my webtext allowance every month because of it.

Pity the mobile companies didnt offer to buy it from you, but I can see why they dont really want too many people using it :D
    BTW, do you think O2 are blocking data? as sometimes when I try and use cabbage on my phone over GPRS it fails and then when I switch on the wifi it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Free live GPS tracker using Google maps -

http://www.instamapper.com

BTW, do you think O2 are blocking data? as sometimes when I try and use cabbage on my phone over GPRS it fails and then when I switch on the wifi it works.

It's possible. What access point are you using?

Could you try changing your server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php and see if it makes any difference? That's Random's server

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

HTC G1 here :)

APPS:
    Aldiko - ebook reader with free books
    ASTRO - File Manager
    Babbler - Facebook
    Barcode Scanner - What it says and is used in other apps like snaptell below
    Bluex - Bluetooth fileshares (need root access to recieve)
    Camera Pro - Much better then the default camera app
    CM Updater - Just updates the new mods as theyre released (need root access)
    CoPilot - Turn by Turn GPS with preinstalled maps
    Handcent SMS - Great SMS/MMS replacement
    K-9 mail - for my non-gmail accounts
    Layar - Augmented reality browser.Pretty funky
    Market Enabler - Removes market restriction so I can access paid apps and region locked apps (need root access)
    Palringo - IMs
    PhoneMyPC - Remote desktop for my computer at home
    Photosafe & Videosafe - Hides private photos/videos ;)
    Picture Viewer - Prefer it to the default gallery
    Pkt Auction - eBay
    Documents to Go - Office & PDF
    Rings Extended - Use any audio file for ringtone,alarm etc
    Root Explorer - File explorer that allows R/W privileges to system files (need root access)
    Screenshot - Pretty much what it says
    Shazam - Music Identification
    Snaptell - Finds info on products based on barcode of photos of dvd/cd/game cases and where to buy them
    Taskiller Pro - Task Manager (free available too)
    Twidroid - Twitter
    Wikimobile - Wikipedia
    Youtube Downloader - What it says really(cant find link)

Games:
    Bejeweled
    PhitDroid
    Throttlecopter

Ive plenty more but these are the main ones I use :)

Advertisement