Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats is your backbround

Options
  • 26-07-2009 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Mods feel free to do what you will with this but maybe its a good source of where the advice given in this forum is coming from

Martron
    6 years as civil engineer ( 2 years previously on building site general labour)

All civils works ranging from listed below....
    Drainage,
    Concrete finishing,
    Reinforced concrete,
    Steel Frames,
    Shuttering,
    Waterproofing,
    Structural fencing,
    Road surfacing,

I know these are construction related but these are subjects frequently covered in this forum

( i dont claim to know all about the above subject but i am willing to offer what i know)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Useful idea. Let those who advise state their qualifications for doing so. Mine:

Qualified as a marine engineer.
    Then qualified in mechanical and electrical engineering.
    Ten years experience of power generating heavy plant.
    Ten years running a large automotive and heavy mobile plant outfit including being chief tester for UK MOT vehicle tests.
    Several years handling plumbing and general property maintenance including gas and electrics, including industrial electrics and control systems.
    Experienced DIY-er.
    Now process design engineer and director of a US owned biofuels company.

So there:D

Gary the gasman:D (Professional Gas Service Engineer)

British Gas Emergency Service Engineer: 12 years dealing mainly with gas emergences and servicing/repair of all types of gas appliances and heating systems

UK Prison Officer: 4 years mainly dealing with naughty people
    Self employed gas engineer:4 years, when not dealing with naughty people

Manufactures Senior Technician: 6 years mainly dealing with warranty issues on gas boilers and unvented cylinders, identifying installation errors and advising repairs, training agents on new products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Fully qualified plumber, pipefitter, 10 years +

All areas covered from small residential up to the largest projects in Ireland.

Experienced in all heating systems, oil, gas, geothermal.

Experienced in all plumbing systems, gravity, pressurised.

Experienced in all soils, wastes.

Experienced in the design, installation and maintenance of all the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

9 years:

Metal Stud Partitions
    MF Ceilings
    Drylining
    Plasterboarding

Started in oz on the olympic games in 2000, then back to dublin to rain, high prices, traffic and now poor money and not much work - finally beginning to wonder why i left sydney!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I like this thread i think its a glorified way for men to stick there men out on the table and compare sizes.

Our backround should have no consequence on DIY in boards. All DIY advice should come with a warning. I am on boards a while. I am not the most intelligent but I am in my business 15 years. I have seen it all! But the most important thing I learning is NEVER TRUST A FIRST OPINION!

Always get an second unless of course you can test that opinion. For example. My front door is creaking, Solution: Oil the hindge, Did it work! Yes! Is there any serious consequces, no

But the worst advice I have seen professionals give.... My heating is dropping pressure, answer open the gate valve to the auto filling valve. Does it work, yes! Is it the right solution, Most certainly not!

Lastly, If your say a civil engineer or an architect does a plumber have more credability over you. In life yes but in theory no! Why cause many people dont know the rules and teaching that an architect or cilvil engineer has to go through but everybody assumes a plumber goes through plumbing! I have seen many a dodgy plumber!

So you see to set ourselves up as professionals in a field is of no use!

The simpleist thing to say is Area of knowledge: Heating and Plumbing
    Bathrooms and tiles, Building renovating and plumbing, Electrical and plumbing

This way you leave the person with enough suspecian to make them get a second opinion and in most cases if your good will actually confirm what you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well joey if you did not want to contribute to this thread why bother rant on about it.

Post your experience or dont. its totally up to you.

this thread spawns from stratocasters thread on the safety issues arising from posts. and this thread was just a reference on the source of information .

As in i dont know much about plumbing and give some advice(from my own experience not professional experince) someone can check here the accuracy of my advice by seeing that i am more into concrete etc rather than plumbing and then wait for someone else to reply. Thats the reason for this thread not to show off.

Advertisement