Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new lawn

Options
  • 26-07-2009 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Last week I had the JCB guy over to do the last bit of clearing from our site. We are in the house 6 months, but the outside was still a site. He scraped the layer of growth - long grass and some weeds and spread out the top soil we had on site. I have been doing a bit of raking for stones when the soil was dry - brilliant July weather! Anyway, my basic question is whether or not to spray weed killer on the top soil that is now down. There is no sign of growth etc. It seems unnecessary as there are no weeds or anything, with the wet weather we are having I could have the lawn seed down in days and get the show on the road.

Is there a need for weed killer in this instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You don't spray weed killer where there are no weeds. You can get a pre-emergence weed killer but these have limited sucess. If you have trouble with weeds there let the weeds grow back over the next few weeks then spray them with roundup when it greens up, then wait a week for the weedkiller to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

At what stage should should you sow a new garden? Ive sprayed it with Rosate last week so just waiting for the weeds to die now.

At what stage should should you sow a new garden? Ive sprayed it with Rosate last week so just waiting for the weeds to die now.
    Any time after 5-7 days (thats the length of time it takes the weedkiller to reach the roots of the weeds).The weeds don't have to completely die away before you sow the lawn, however if you have a lot of weeds there you would be better to cut and remove them before tilling for the lawn seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Any time after 5-7 days (thats the length of time it takes the weedkiller to reach the roots of the weeds).The weeds don't have to completely die away before you sow the lawn, however if you have a lot of weeds there you would be better to cut and remove them before tilling for the lawn seed.

Hey Sam. What month should I look to sow the garden?

Hey Sam. What month should I look to sow the garden?
    Any time from now to early October. Now is ideal as the weather isn't too dry so the seeds will germinate fast. Make sure the ground is reasonably dry when you sow the lawnseed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement