Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To wave, or not to wave?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I was thinking about this recently, and the latest RW magazine had an article about it so I thought it might be interesting to gauge general opinion.

When you're running and meet someone running in the opposite direction do you give a little nod, wave or acknowledgement?

Being relatively new to the running scene again after a 2 year break, I have to say that I really like the whole "band of brothers & sisters" thing of an acknowledgement of some sort. It kind of makes me feel like there's someone else out there who understands what I'm feeling in the last mile or so of my run on a hot Saturday morning!! Yesterday I got a wave from a passing cyclist, and it motivated me to push a little harder ...

So ...do you wave or do you not?!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I nearly always give a nod except when I'm in pain or pushing hard, can be a bit annoying when your doing laps though and your nodding at the same person 2 or 3 times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I often give a half hearted wave when I pass someone that in reality is probably invisible to everyone else! But I think you should wave or say hello to pretty much everyone you pass - whether they're walking, running or just standing around. Make the world a happier place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

always nod

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I usually give some kind of wave or nod of acknowledgement... at least the first time you pass someone. If I were to wave when passing people multiple times on a short circuit would just make me look like a stalker!

I think most runners appreciate the acknowledgement. The "once a fortnight" jogger/runner with their earphones in usually just stare straight by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Always give some form of acknowledgement, I do my long runs on country roads so I acknowledge drivers who move out into the middle of the road for me. That can become a pain in the hole when I'm out for a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

The Rook wrote: »

When you're running and meet someone running in the opposite direction do you give a little nod, wave or acknowledgement?

I was actually thinking about this morning on my run. I always nod or give a little wave. The majority of runners do neither and it kind of bugs me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I usually run on country runs so if I pass another runner and make eye contact with them then I'd give slight smile/hi..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Usually a wave or nod, sometimes with a muffled grunt or "Hiya". "Nice day for it" particularly if it's during a downpour. I can't wink properly but a flick of the head as if I was winking sometimes ends up happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I'd normally give a runner a quick salute with the hand, but i've rarely ever got a reply. Last week i out wearing my frank duffy white t-shirt when i came across a lady wearing the same t-shirt, i gave a salute and was expecting a reply, since there was a bit more significance to it (we're both runners, we both did the same race) but got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

I'd always say hi, nod, wink (where appropriate) - sometimes you get a response, sometimes not. I ran in the States this summer and all runners wave at each other/smile from across the road, just runners though, cyclists ignore you (maybe they only acknowledge each other).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I was actually thinking about this morning on my run. I always nod or give a little wave. The majority of runners do neither and it kind of bugs me !

Yeah I used to give a nod when I started but I found most runners just keep the head down and dont even notice so I dont really bother now.

I do feel a bit of a miserable ****e when I go by a runner without acknowledging them but most runners dont seem bothered so fair enough.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭plodder

I find it varies depending on the place I run. Some places nobody seems to acknowledge you, so I don't bother either unless someone else does. Other places, I seem to meet the same people regularly, and we'd always wave or nod to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Darac

What do you do if they are going in the same direction and roughly the same speed. Do you slow down and chat or speed up and shoot by?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Darac wrote: »
    What do you do if they are going in the same direction and roughly the same speed. Do you slow down and chat or speed up and shoot by?

It very rarely happens - for some reason everyone seems to go the opposite direction to me. I have had a chat with randomers going the same way as me before, but more often than not people are wearing headphones so that makes a conversation out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I always wave or try and make eye contact - have to say it frustrates me when someone blanks me - but only for the length of time it takes to mutter an obsenity under my breath :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I've run with some many people that have been going the same direction and usually Nod to others .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Always, always, always, always wave... Hell, I even wave to the cars when I'm on smaller roads so they keep on pulling out for runners. The friendliness is what makes this country a great place to live. When you stop acknowledging your fellow runner, don't expect them to come to your aid when you pull that muscle, trip, or get ill. Just be selective during races. ;)

Maybe there should be an secret boards wave and a reply that we use when running ;) . Could get some strange looks fom non boards runners

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

shels4ever wrote: »
    Maybe there should be an secret boards wave and a reply that we use when running ;) . Could get some strange looks fom non boards runners

How about the finger? :D

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    How about the finger? :D

ah yes I can just see the reaction i'd get in my loal park running nad giving the finger to everyone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

What about when you're passing a slower runner or group of runners? Is a wave or a quick "hiya" appropriate?

Yesterday I passed a group of guys heading down Dollymount, said "hi" with a wave (sideways as I went past!) and practically got into a conversation. Today passed two guys in the Park and got nothing? Maybe in these cases the finger might be appropriate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

It is weird because I mentioned how friendly other runners seemed in the Phoenix Park this morning on my training log before even seeing this thread...

Anyway I always acknowledge other runners with either a 'hi' 'good morning' or a smile or wave depending on how puffed I am! I think it makes the run more enjoyable and makes you feel part of a gang....Often you are more likely to get a smile or a wave when the weather is awful too!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

always give a nod or say well done or something...(that is if i am able to speak!!!!) most times i get a nod in return but some people dont seem to notice...
    always gives me a bit of a perk up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I always wave or try and make eye contact - have to say it frustrates me when someone blanks me - but only for the length of time it takes to mutter an obsenity under my breath :).

Same here.

Also say "Hi!" to anyone I pass, or if doing speedwork (off track) just grunt a distorted "Hi". I couldn't give a fiddlers how fast or slow they are, always acknowledge, except for 'serial blankers.'

I reckon beginners especially need to be acknowledged - we were all there once - otherwise they may feel that we're all a bunch of elitist prats (instead of just a few;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Yeah, I see runners as kind of kindred spirits now, even when I'm in the car I always spot runner and think to myself, fair play to ya. So when i'm passing a runner I will always wave and usually get a wave back. Passed on guy one time, he was wearing his man u jersey and I was wearing a Liverpool jersey, both of us kissed our crests as we passed each other, then gave each other a wry smile, fairly funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm losing faith to be honest - used to always make an effort to wave/ nod/ say hi, but i would say I only get responses from 1 in 4. Is it the area that I run in (Northside Dublin, mostly coastal and howth)? Maybe it depends on the demographical makeup of the area!

On the flipside, it never ceases to amaze me how many comments/ shouts i get from smokers outside pubs/ bookies (as I run past, not as I venture inside) .... probably not real encouragement :rolleyes:, but its as if theyve never seen anyone in shorts before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Killerz wrote: »
    I'm losing faith to be honest...but i would say I only get responses from 1 in 4
    Don't do it Killerz. Don't become one of the 3/4 that don't wave back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

I can understand Killerz' frustration. Maybe its a Northside thing but I always try and give some form of acknowledgement to a passing runner but would get a response back less than half the time. That said, I think 'runners' are more likely to acknowlege you than 'exercisers' and that male runners are more likely to signal back than female runners. Sorry ladies buts its true - but I'm sure that doesnt apply to lady boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Killerz wrote: »
    used to always make an effort to wave/ nod/ say hi, but i would say I only get responses from 1 in 4. Is it the area that I run in (Northside Dublin, mostly coastal and howth)?

I run along the coast too. I usually get a nod or wave back from douche bags like me, I find the more "seriously dressed" the runner the less likely you will get a wave. Maybe it's just that there are so many on that stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Yeah, I've been thinking about this recently too.

1. Always nod.:)

2. Nod and hello most of the time.:)

3. Nod, hello and a remark when there is something out of the ordinary (eg when it's spilling rain you might say "hi" then followed by "nice day for it!".:P

4. NB - always a little wave of thanks to the kind motorists who both slow down and pull in on the country roads.:cool:

Killerz, as regards these latchicos outside the pub having the fag:
    I've been shouted at/commented upon by this lot (who are usually half-in half-out the door) and I've come to this conclusion: They're actually shouting at themselves.

But overall people are nice. ;)

Advertisement