Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To wave, or not to wave?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I don't come across a lot of people in the early hours on my remote Kerry roads. On the few occasions I pass someone I ensure to give at least an audible "good morning" and a wave.

Most people reply in kind. Every now and then the odd one ignores me. In that case I file them into the "Dublin tourist" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I was actually thinking about this morning on my run. I always nod or give a little wave. The majority of runners do neither and it kind of bugs me !

Was just thinking the same on Saturday, I always acknowledge runners and most of them ignore you completely refusing to make eye contact as though you were some sort of beggar,
    Maybe its just a Dublin thing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't come across a lot of people in the early hours on my remote Kerry roads. On the few occasions I pass someone I ensure to give at least an audible "good morning" and a wave.

Most people reply in kind. Every now and then the odd one ignores me. In that case I file them into the "Dublin tourist" category.
    You mean 'tourist in Dublin', right? But I thought you did all of your running in Kerry?
    Next time you're in Dublin, I'll be sure to give you a hug.

</end sweeping generalizations>
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I met a woman in the chipper on a Sunday a few weeks back, I went over and said hello as I had also saw her that morning while running in marlay park with figs and ecoli. I then saw the same lady in marlay again yesterday and got a big hello, then a few hours later I was back in the park with my kids and there she was still running :eek:
    Having talked to her in the chipper I found out it was her son who had the fastest leg 3 time of the Wicklow way relay a whole 5 mins ahead of me. Nice to meet you Mary. My wife thinks I'm a freak though and should leave people alone but I'm a talker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I always wave, or nod and give a beep as Im driving along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    I met a woman in the chipper on a Sunday a few weeks back, I went over and said hello as I had also saw her that morning while running in marlay park with figs and ecoli. I then saw the same lady in marlay again yesterday and got a big hello, then a few hours later I was back in the park with my kids and there she was still running :eek:
    Having talked to her in the chipper I found out it was her son who had the fastest leg 3 time of the Wicklow way relay a whole 5 mins ahead of me. Nice to meet you Mary. My wife thinks I'm a freak though and should leave people alone but I'm a talker :D

two runners in the chipper wow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Most of my runs are on a quiet country lane so I don't meet many people. There are very occasional tractors/ cars and we both have to move out of each others way so there's always a nod/ smile and acknowledgement. I get the occasional "Good girl don't run too fast" from the ould fellas leaning on a gate somewhere along the way. I've only once met another runner who I greeted with smile and "hi" and was completely ignored:confused:.

Next time I'll give him an even bigger "hello" and wider smile.... intimidate him into being friendly... always works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

littlebug wrote: »
    Most of my runs are on a quiet country lane so I don't meet many people. There are very occasional tractors/ cars and we both have to move out of each others way so there's always a nod/ smile and acknowledgement. I get the occasional "Good girl don't run too fast" from the ould fellas leaning on a gate somewhere along the way. I've only once met another runner who I greeted with smile and "hi" and was completely ignored:confused:.

Next time I'll give him an even bigger "hello" and wider smile.... intimidate him into being friendly... always works :D

i'm the same, running on quiet country roads / lanes, most people ( in cars or out) are friendly and return your wave or greeting.

I am struggling with how best to approach and pass walkers from behind without giving them a total coronary (esp. if they've earphones) at the moment i'm using the old fake cough as a warning..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

asimonov wrote: »
    I am struggling with how best to approach and pass walkers from behind without giving them a total coronary (esp. if they've earphones) at the moment i'm using the old fake cough as a warning..

The old Fake Cough Trick :D.
    I use it to devastating effect myself.

Although I nearly had a coronary myself when wearing earphones and doing slow boring laps, a runner doing substantially quicker laps came up behind and passed me. When I first glimpsed his shadow on my shoulder I near jumped out of my skin :o.
    Oh how he laughed :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'd always wave/nod/say hello, get a response about half the time.
    Only exception is when I'm overtaking another runner- I used to say hello, but thought that sounded superior, then said nothing and thought that was snobby, so now I crack out the old phlegmy cough as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »

That was how I introduced myself but she had a better excuse, she was only coming back from Tullamore with her kids who had been competing, my excuse is that I'm a fat fcuk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ye olde fake cough trick I not going to work if the roadkill ;) is wearing headphones ...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same on Saturday, I always acknowledge runners and most of them ignore you completely refusing to make eye contact as though you were some sort of beggar,
    Maybe its just a Dublin thing

im afraid it's not just a Dublin thing... get the same reaction when I go out for a run in Cork, on a busy path by the estuary. tried quite hard the first few months then gave up, feeling kinda silly... :mad: still trying to make eye contact when I see an opportunity. asked another runner, Dubliner and he said that's normal... the annoying thing is when they kind of check you out then look away when it would the moment of saying hello/nodding/wawing/whatever... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I am struggling with how best to approach and pass walkers
    give them a good slap on the arse and say runner commin throoo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good news - got a few "hows it goings" on my run home from work today, which of course i responded to. :)

Eliwallach - bang on with the latchicos
    Krusty, messed_up and lightening - Thanks for the encouragement, my faith will remain strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I got a few more nods and hellos today too... And actually got stopped by one very pretty foreign woman looking for directions - she was lost in Phoenix Park and had been running around for ages (how lost can you get there?!) - was nice to her though and didn't try to chat her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

xebec wrote: »
    - was nice to her though and didn't try to chat her up.

You should have!
    As she was obviously just pretending to be lost in the Phoenix Park :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Like many posters above, I try to acknowledge everyone I encounter on my runs - walkers, runners, cyclists, dogs...unless my physical condition rules it out (once had a van driver pull in obviously looking for directions as I crested a very steep hill that I'd sprinted up - I didn't know where I was at the time!). I run in the Phoenix Park and find that most people respond, though as someone remarked females are definitely less friendly than males. Other threads on boards.ie suggest there may be good reasons for this....
    I also try to say something like "nice day" even if it's raining, it helps with the mood.
    Ok, off out to help lost foreign women do some tempo intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Running yesterday by the river and passed a guy who looked like he hadn't been running long (carrying a fair bit of weight, shiny new trainers, cotton T). I went past and said something like "hiya, how's it going?"

"Not very well!" was the mournful reply, cracked me up! Passed him again on teh way back and he'd cheered up a bit by then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Passed a fella this morning in the lashing rain, waved....... Nothing..... Crushed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Passed a fella this morning in the lashing rain, waved....... Nothing..... Crushed
    Ah, but you see, you might have turned him (i.e. guilted him into saying hello to the next runner he met). Pay it forward. :)

Who was it here on Boards who used to High five runners as he went past?! That'd put you in a good mood for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Seems like a combination of acknowledgments is needed - wave of going past, fake cough if overtaking, and if no response, a good ould smack on the ar$e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i find this general rule holds:

the quieter it is..........the bigger/louder the wave/nod or grunt .........both given and received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

shels4ever wrote: »

....a portion of broccoli, a large apple and a glass of diet water please. (i'm sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Ah, but you see, you might have turned him (i.e. guilted him into saying hello to the next runner he met). Pay it forward. :)

Who was it here on Boards who used to High five runners as he went past?! That'd put you in a good mood for the rest of the day!

I would love to high 5 runners as I passed them. After reading this thread though I was waving like a maniac at vehicle pulling out of the hard shoulder for me, especially trucks. Most gave me a big truckers thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

was runnin wit aquagirl in the park 2day and sayin hello to every one ,even managed a hello as i leggedit up kyber pass.the thing i noticed is that as was lookin to make eye contact wit all the runners ,they were all checkin out aqua's Dids....uyou know who you are(in the green tee-shirt on chesterfield road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

As a newbie I feel its not my place to since its abundantly clear that im not really a proper runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

catch88 wrote: »
    As a newbie I feel its not my place to since its abundantly clear that im not really a proper runner.

You are out there exercising insted of sitting on the couch, I think you can call yourself a runner, most of us were newbies at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Was warming up for the race last night and said hello to a bloke running in the opposite direction, absolutley nothing, so it was particularly satisfying when I passed him with 800 to go :D - Karma I believe.

Advertisement