Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To wave, or not to wave?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

there are so many runners/joggers in the phoenix park that it would be a full time job to say hello to all of them.

I say hello to some people, especially if I see they're struggling up a hill or look like newbies with their new shiny clothes and shoes.

Also, if I meet someone out early on a Sat or Sun morning I'll def say hello and from now to the marathon you see the same familiar faces (twice or three times a run) every Sat morning so I'd always say hi to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

ultraman1 wrote: »
    was runnin wit aquagirl in the park 2day and sayin hello to every one ,even managed a hello as i leggedit up kyber pass.the thing i noticed is that as was lookin to make eye contact wit all the runners ,they were all checkin out aqua's Dids....uyou know who you are(in the green tee-shirt on chesterfield road)

Thinly veiled 'I'm the only one who can perv on aquagirl' post there.

I'd say hello to most people I'd pass. If it's busy I mightn't bother as it becomes a bit much hassle saying hello every few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Funny thing i find is that i get more nods from walkers, heck even cyclists than i do runners!

Ill always nod or smile or make some gesture. I remember when i first started to run about 2 years ago i was struggling and far from destination when a runner coming towards me put out his hand and high 5'd me.Didn't look to much better than me puffing wise but it Really drove me home. Ever since then i make sure to make some nod but usually nothing. Makes it all the better though when you do get a response. Puts a little more hop in your step!!!

Ultraman - great idea. Gonna be plenty smacked arses round limerick soon enough :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ss43 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'I'm the only one who can perv on aquagirl' post there..
    not into incest.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

catch88 wrote: »
    As a newbie I feel its not my place to since its abundantly clear that im not really a proper runner.

I say hi to everyone I meet, however like catch88 I sometimes feel intimidated when I'm faced with someone who looks really professional coming towards me. I still say hi but I rarely get a response from them. I do find men out walking dogs are particularly friendly to me though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

i reckon i've noticed an increase in the number of waves i now get, since this thread started, but i can't be sure it's other boardies or just random waving runners. i know this will should mad, but should we come up with some kinda secret wave so boardies will know other boardies when they wave? something a long the lines of the scout salute. my initial idea was a haka style dance, but that would probally take too long. so my second idea is as running past another runner, you raise your right hand to your chest and drop it again, if they are a boardie they know, if there are not they just think you've got a weird arm action? i think i still prefer my initial idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Use the letter 'B' (for Boards) from the Sign alphabet as part of the wave.
    LetterB_smaller.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

got waved at countless times on monday running around kildare near my parents house. It was my first proper rural run since ive begun running and it was weird. I usually run either off road,in the pheonix park, or around the city and no one says hi. Did 12k and id say more than half the drivers waved and all the pedestrians said hi.It was far more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

menoscemo wrote: »
    always nod
    I usually do this to people i pass by as i run along Chesterfield Ave:) Have always thought it would be nice to acknowledge each other putting in some hard work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

After reading this the other day, and recent bad experiences, I pulled off an ambitious cross-busy road wave towards the end of my 16 miler last saturday. And it was reciprocated! Happy days. I'd love to hear of other ambitious waves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dat you in ratfarnam

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dokter

I give a nod or "hi" about 75% of the time while running.

However cycling..... Now I always give a wave to a cyclist going the other direction. If its a recreational cyclist they always nod back. But proper roadies... Usually I get an incredible stare, like they are thinking "did that guy just wave at me:confused:."
    Am I doing something wrong? Wearing the wrong colours? Cant understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dat you in ratfarnam

No: howth/ raheny/ artane. sounds like there's a like-minded person in the 'farnham tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

No waves back from anyone.....gutted. Liars :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I generally don't wave or acknowledge and I get the same in return.

It's not that I'm unfriendly!
    When on the motorbike I give massive waves to all other bikers and get the same in return.
    I also salute cyclists on my spins around Howth hill and Dollymount cycle track.

But running? Don't realy bother

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

emerald007 wrote: »
    i know this will should mad, but should we come up with some kinda secret wave so boardies will know other boardies when they wave? something a long the lines of the scout salute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

mikemac wrote: »
    When on the motorbike I give massive waves to all other bikers and get the same in return.

When I had a motorbike I noticed on long trips (using motorways or dual carriageways) people on other bikes would raise their right foot as a wave. I thought that was kind of cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

When I had a motorbike I noticed on long trips (using motorways or dual carriageways) people on other bikes would raise their right foot as a wave. I thought that was kind of cool.
    Well you see that's so you wouldn't have to take your hands off the handlebars! I wave to every biker, cyclist, runner, and car. Mr jolly, me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kayakmoss

Never really thought about this but i always wave and get waves back when im out for a spin on the bike in the Dublin mountains.
    While running though i never wave, maybe because im a wheezing mess!

Might try to start now that im conscious of the whole issue.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Got a nice "Only a week and a half lads" down on the horseshoe bends on the military road on Tues night when out running with a mate.
    Fair few lads gave the nod too so things are improving.
    The ladies in general are much quieter... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ergo

usually when I'm out for a normal run I'll see if there's eye contact - if there is will give the nod -

don't get many waves or nods out of the many runners around the park I run around in Liverpool - there is one guy who will give the big enthusiastic nod/wave - we were running opposite directions of the loop one saturday - must have passed each other 6 times - got the nod each time!

but if I'm at mile 14 of along run and just trying not to collapse I'll usually keep the head down and won't be looking at anyone

Advertisement