Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price change in Ikea ?

Options
  • 26-07-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Anyone else notice an increase in the prices in Ikea up north ? My other half was up there during the week and noticed an increase in there prices allbit sligh prob nothing to do with them opening down here ;):D:D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Their Irish website is now live, and the Dublin store opened today.

I've done a couple of comparsions between the www.ikea.ie and www.ikea.co.uk website prices, taking into account exchange rate differentials of 15.5% STG£ vs €, and VAT (21.5% here and 15% there).

I calculate Dublin prices to be over 5% too high even after all that.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

God, what is the fascination with Ikea in Ireland? Their stuff is pure tat. Even if it is relatively cheap at point of purchase, it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Their Irish website is now live, and the Dublin store opened today.

I've done a couple of comparsions between the www.ikea.ie and www.ikea.co.uk website prices, taking into account exchange rate differentials of 15.5% STG£ vs €, and VAT (21.5% here and 15% there).

I calculate Dublin prices to be over 5% too high even after all that.

Any thoughts?

Given the higher costs in Ireland 5% seems quite reasonable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

jhegarty wrote: »
    Given the higher costs in Ireland 5% seems quite reasonable.

5% higher than Belfast? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I presume what jhegarty is trying to say is that UK and ROI are different countries with different VAT rates, wages, costs of business etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

toomevara wrote: »
    God, what is the fascination with Ikea in Ireland? Their stuff is pure tat. Even if it is relatively cheap at point of purchase, it won't last.

Don't they give quite decent guarantees on alot of their products ranging from 10 years to 25 years. I wouldn't have thought they'd do that if it was of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

5% higher than Belfast? :confused:

Higher minimum wage and insurance are the obvious first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Yes but given that there prices are higher down here that doesnt account for the price change up north !

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Yes but given that there prices are higher down here that doesnt account for the price change up north !

Sterling / Euro movements have meant that Sterling prices are not as good and there is also the VAT increase to come in the north as well

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    Higher minimum wage and insurance are the obvious first two.

I think they are two valid reasons ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

I wonder why they decided to price their catalogue typically above those listed on their other European websites at about 30% extra. I suppose word got out that the Irish Market is a soft touch for Inflated Retailing.

I do not expect to pay Euro 869 for a sofa that is made from:"Particleboard, Fibreboard, Solid wood, Plywood & Cardboard" . I bet it would melt like a digestive biscuit if it got wet.

http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/S09849574

http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/S09849588

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S29849554

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

For our kitchen the difference is

Dublin - 2244
    Belfast -1703

Above prices are in Euros and the Belfast price was converted from sterling at todays rate.

It's a shame coz it's just around the corner from me and now I still have to go to Belfast. (I have the free use of a van so it makes even more sense)

Anto

For our kitchen the difference is

Dublin - 2244
    Belfast -1703

Above prices are in Euros and the Belfast price was converted from sterling at todays rate.

VAT doesn't come into it for me.. I can see it being a reason for a bit of a difference but it won't effect the total I spend out of my pocket.

It's a shame coz it's just around the corner from me and now I still have to go to Belfast. (I have the free use of a van so it makes even more sense)

Anto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Yeap. Belfast has upped their prices and on some items by a significant amount. Very dissapointing, but still cheaper than Dublin.

Shoppers will go North if the saving is big enough.

Examples from today:
    A tap that is 151.95 euro in Belfast and 179 euro here. Nearly 30 euro folks.
    Blinds, both black out & wood were close enough in price not to warrant a trip up to Belfast.
    Malm bed and sliding shelf head board. You must be kidding, way outpriced here, but has gone up slightly in Belfast.
    Billy bookcase with extension & all the bits & bobs was again close enough not to warrant trip to Belfast.
    Happy with opening but very dissapointed that they didn't have specials for the day, seeing it was their opening day.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm still using Ikea stuff (shelving, table and chairs) that I bought in Germany in 1981 and my computer desk and office furniture that I bought in the Netherlands in 1990, and none of them are anywhere near the end of their lives. So that's that theory blown out of the water then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

IKEA Belfast N54 37.346 W5 51.793
    Pick up A55 ring road at N54 32.783 W5 55.878

from
    Lisburn N54 30.299 W6 01.749

safe journey

ps the above avoids downtown Bfast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

2244 is still pretty good for a kitchen in my book!
    Did you allow for the 6.5% VAT difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hmmm, Ikea were on the radio today saying how their pricing would be no different than NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Sleipnir wrote: »
    2244 is still pretty good for a kitchen in my book!
    Did you allow for the 6.5% VAT difference?
    It is a good price but the OP is still right. I'd be taking my business up North if i where him. More evidence of Republic being seen as a soft touch.

• Advertisement

The VAT difference make no difference to the amount I pay out of my pocket.
    It's being mentioned a lot because it's a way to justify 6.5% of the difference in price between north and south.

If I buy it in Dublin I spend €2244, in Belfast I spend €1703. Vat doesn't come into it...

I agree with you, it's still a good price for a kitchen but €541 is money I want in my pocket..

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Have they printed out a catalogue then in Euros?

I was just going by the website prices. I think they have the catalogue out for Dublin in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

toomevara wrote:
    God, what is the fascination with Ikea in Ireland? Their stuff is pure tat. Even if it is relatively cheap at point of purc]hase, it won't last.

Probably had a bad MFI experience.......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your basing this on what?
    Have you ever bought/used ikea items?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your basing this on what?
    Have you ever bought/used ikea items?

I have (I live abroad and had to furnish a whole apartment).

I also never bought the cheapest items for example I bought the most expensive mattress cause I hate soft ones and that was the only choice.

My impression on IKEA...

They are great for some things terrible for others.

Good:
    Beds
    Mattresses
    Kitchen tables
    Hinges (for wardrobes etc.)
    Shelving
    Some kitchen ware such as cheap glasses, cutlery etc.

Bad:
    Kitchen presses (not durable enough)
    Any item you expect to get a few bangs!

The fact that you buy one thing one day and spend x amount of money and then the next they for the same item and same price the quality has been severly reduced. This happened twice to me.

First Example: Wooden hanges, bought two 10 packs and they were great and cheap - smooth and solid. Bought another 10 pack about 6 months later and they are sh!t! The wood is all rough causing splinters, the connection between the horizontal and diagonals is now just a pin whereas it used to be a cut fit.

Second example: The wooden pull-out drawers for a wardrobe. Initially bought for my lovely wardrobe in OCT '07. Needed to expand wardrobe in MAY '09 so bought two more of same drawers. Same problem. The wood had been changed to a much less dense softer wood with a terrible finish (again the splintering and roughness problems). The connection was less solid and the roller mechanism had been resiously quality reduced - metal parts had been replaced by plastic in the bearings and wheels and was altogether less solid feeling.

So my advice,
    1. Buy the complete item when you first arrive because you can not be guaranteed to be able to add on to the set when you need to i future.

2. Buy from a new line instead of old line as the quality is much higher at the start of a line's life (when they wanna suck you in to the concept) than later after aggressive cost cutting measures have seriously harm the quality but you have to buy nyway because it is the only item which will fit/match with your set.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This is not interior design, moving.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Adam anto wrote: »
    I was just going by the website prices. I think they have the catalogue out for Dublin in August.

Instore ads say new catalogue is out in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The VAT difference would make about 150 euro. 540 euro is a lot more.

When you have the use of a van, 540 euro is well worth the drive up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

faceman wrote: »
    Hmmm, Ikea were on the radio today saying how their pricing would be no different than NI.
    :eek: a lad in work said that to me the other day. People on similar forums in the UK must be moaning if the prices charged to the VAT paying customers really are the same.

I would like to hear how they worded that comment.

Advertisement