Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price change in Ikea ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

dudara wrote: »
    I presume what jhegarty is trying to say is that UK and ROI are different countries with different VAT rates, wages, costs of business etc.

Ah this old chestnut. The IKEA staff out in Ballymun must be getting what ? 20 , 30 or 40 Euros an hour is it ?

Looks like Ireland gets screwed again. Well, at least the other Ireland is still an option :)
    Ain't gonna be cheap though on fuel if you're stocking up on a few beds and wardrobes though and driving from NI to Dublin or elsehwere.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

toomevara wrote: »
    God, what is the fascination with Ikea in Ireland? Their stuff is pure tat. Even if it is relatively cheap at point of purchase, it won't last.

I know that you've explained your reasons why you think it's tat, but I've got a bookcase and a nest of tables still going strong after 19 years and they've survived two house moves (one from the UK to Ireland).

Perhaps back in those days, they made things to last ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I find the IKEA pricing slightly confusing. Some items are more expensive and some items are cheaper then stores in Europe. Take the following item for example

ARILD - Three-seat sofa

IKEA Ireland - €949
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90121192

IKEA Germany - €1,029
    http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/50121189

IKEA France - €1,099
    http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/50121189

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Ah this old chestnut. The IKEA staff out in Ballymun must be getting what ? 20 , 30 or 40 Euros an hour is it ?

I think an article in the Irish Times on Saturday stated that entry-level wage is E9.40. Low as it is, it's still more than the minimum wage in the North.

There are other overheads to be considered.

But as other posters have said, some items are cheaper here, some are the same and some are more expensive. The question to be asked is if the average cost is the same, greater or less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DonJose wrote: »
    I find the IKEA pricing slightly confusing. Some items are more expensive and some items are cheaper then stores in Europe.
    I would be far more confused if they were all in line. Lidl, amazon, pixmania, argos etc will have prices going up and down in different countries on different items. They charge what the market will bear and would be idiots not to. I still have to hear a reply about the guy claiming IKEA said they would have the same prices here and up north, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Things could be made in different countries, a top rival shop in one country might have an offer on a similar item so they lower it to still shift some, there are 1000's of reasons
    dudara wrote: »
    The question to be asked is if the average cost is the same, greater or less?
    Why does this have to be asked?

rubadub wrote: »
    Why does this have to be asked?

I suppose because it might help us assess whether Ikea Ireland is more expensive than IKEA NI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

For those of you who need to hire a van I priced a few diff van companies, found Enterprise vans the biggest and cheapest at 50pday for a large van. If you live within a reasonable distance of one their depots they collect and drop you home.

Assume approx 260 miles round trip at 40 to gallon approx €50 fpr juice

I think if you hire on a sat, you pay for one day and drop back on Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mamablue

Ikea have different prices all over the world. Some items are cheaper in Dublin than say in the US/Germany/France/uk/Australia and some are more expensive. So some items would be more expensive here than in the uk and some would be cheaper.
    The uk is a bit cheaper all over at the moment but you have to remember that the main reason for that is the exchange rate. Ikea prices are garanteed for the year so when they price items they have to make sure that if the exchange fluctuates they don't make a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Just did a quick add up on the new difference in price between Dublin and Belfast.

The difference for our kitchen is now 135. It was 541.

Belfast has deffo increased prices probably to come more into line with Dublin.

Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mamablue

Adam anto wrote: »

The difference for our kitchen is now 135. It was 541.

What do you base that on?
    Do you really think that they change the prices for 19 shops in the uk because there is one new shop in Dublin? Do you think that the world evolves around this tiny island?

Like I said before the price for the uk for 08-09 were proably fixed before the £ went down as much as it did. The good people at ikea are running a business and need to make a profit once they exchange these £ back to € or $ or whatever currency. This year 09-10 they had to fix the price from August till July again and since the £ went down in value they had to up the prices. Ikea has low profit margins (that's why everything is so cheap) and exchange rates will impact that profit (or loss)

Advertisement