Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flour Mill

• 26-07-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Credit to a chap called farlee_1 on UTD for this one...

I live over by the old flour mills and pass it every day...I always wondered what was inside, was it over-run with rats etc...

Some enthusiasts from England checked it out up close and personal and took some great shots. Definitely tickled my curiosity.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40581

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some excellent shots in there alright, Some of it looks in some excellent condition too considering how long its been unused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Thanks!

Given me a completely new insight into what looked like a dump! Looks in very good condition inside and the equipment also looks impressive. From a brief read of the forum included in the original post it looks looks like a lot of other people are very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Thanks for that, makes me curious enough to go there myself...the machinery looks fantastic

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Excellent photographs!

Can we have a report on the Ard Ri now please? :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

some interesting shots, floor don';t look to safe in a few of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

God, I'm amazed at the condition of the place considering the outside.

Can you just walk in there? I'd love to go for a nose around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It can be tricky enough to get into... Though not as tricky as some places the folk on 28DL visit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

actually does any1 have shots of Mr Millians graveyard?! aka the graveyard right next to the mental hospital, it has a great view and an amazing enterence but i dunno if you need to ask premission to go into it anymore. Either way a great place to take some shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

That brings back memories , I worked in the Flour Mills for a summer when I was 17.
    One of the jobs I remember doing was transcribing the details from the metal stamp on all of the electrical machines in the factory and the amount of climbing we had to do !
    The smell from the provender mill will always remain with me !
    It was a great place to work and the fun we had was mighty,the ladies in the lab used to bake all sort of cakes to check the consistency of the flour and then hand them out.
    With regard to the cemetry beside the mental hospital and bordering the tennis club - it's open every day from 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Great pics, surprised at the condition inside. Imagined it would be just rubble. Bit of a niche website where those pics came from..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnie1985

Excellent pics. Suprised about the condition of the place, not as bad as i thought. Say inside the Ard Rí is in a far worse condition. Anyone can get pics inside the Ard Rí? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

finnie1985 wrote: »
    Excellent pics. Suprised about the condition of the place, not as bad as i thought. Say inside the Ard Rí is in a far worse condition. Anyone can get pics inside the Ard Rí? :)

Sorry mate went up there a while a go but couldnt get in. The place was packed to the rafters with all these un-used e-voting machines. Most strange ;)

The Ard Ri got trashed a few times over before the security moved in 24/7 - Not sure what it's like now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The Ard Ri got trashed a few times over before the security moved in 24/7 - Not sure what it's like now.

Darn it.. Actually at night now a lot of lights are on in the rooms and ground floor that I never saw on before. Not in letters either. I'd love to get some decent pics before its knocked, sadly its a place iv never been even when it was in full swing.

Actually its unlikely someone is sitting there all the time surely? The gate remains partly open but previous to the last few nights iv never seen a light on. Good few windows smashed tho.

Afaik, there's a security guard there 24/7... Now, how much they bother looking around, I don't know, but as usual, on a public forum, I wouldn't advise trespassing and getting arrested...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Afaik, there's a security guard there 24/7... Now, how much they bother looking around, I don't know, but as usual, on a public forum, I wouldn't advise trespassing and getting arrested...

There's ways and means. It's usually not too difficult to get permission.

I've added this place to my list :)

Never in a million years! :)

However, if the forum in Silverfish's sig was given the thumbs up, perhaps we could talk about it in further detail... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Surely some of the equipment in there is valuable at this stage?
    Pity to see it knocked actually.

They make a big fuss over stuff like that over in the UK.
    They get it running again for visitors and charge for entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Well don't you just have a gut feeling that there are a load of us people just planning on the earliest chance they can get into these two places now.

• Advertisement

I know a lot of people will want to, but just some simple bits and pieces if in theory, one were to visit a place like these...

Don't go in large numbers - Three is a perfect size. Make sure everyone has a phone with credit and battery. A torch is handy. Don't break anything. Don't steal anything. Don't spraypaint anything. Don't piss off of anything. Don't go Rambo on the place. Don't do any mad climbing or jumping - You don't know what's stable and what's rotten. Don't tell the whole world what you're doing, but it's handy to let someone know where you're off to.

If you're collared by any security, just leave. Don't make a fuss, don't argue, don't tell them your rights. Put your hands up, and walk away. If you're a dick, you'll make it harder for anyone else.

I know a lot of people will want to, but just some simple bits and pieces if in theory, one were to visit a place like these...

Don't go in large numbers - Three is a perfect size. Make sure everyone has a phone with credit and battery. A torch is handy. Don't break anything. Don't steal anything. Don't spraypaint anything. Don't piss off of anything. Don't go Rambo on the place. Don't do any mad climbing or jumping - You don't know what's stable and what's rotten. Don't tell the whole world what you're doing, but it's handy to let someone know where you're off to.

If you're collared by any security, just leave. Don't make a fuss, don't argue, don't tell them your rights. Put your hands up, and walk away. If you're a dick, you'll make it harder for anyone else.

Mod Note:

Just a note: Boards.ie does not recommend or encourage any individual to break the law by trespassing on private property. We strongly advise that not only for keeping within the law but also for safety reasons you do not trespass on private property. The sites in this topic are private property and are not open for public - so do not enter the sites without permission from the owner.

The post quoted above is not to be taken as encouragement or recommendation that you visit these sites without permission. Some people may choose to ignore the advise in my post and if they do, which we strongly recommend you do not, then at least follow the excellent advise from Fajitas!. Safety is very important and the odds are security will stop you so to avoid further trouble, just leave. But once again. Boards.ie is not responsible for the actions of anybody after reading this thread. Boards.ie does not recommend or encourage any individual breaking the law.

Any discussion about gaining entry illegally to a premisses will be removed from this topic.

Thanks.

(End serious post)

Ireland1369mod.jpg

Ireland1375mod.jpg

bsmovie6.jpg

Lads I wouldnt recommend going anywhere near that place.

Floors get a bit f*cked up with time :)

In fact, I wouldn't recommend anyone going anywhere near it either. My advice above is if you decide you still want to go for a wander... :)

Floors get a bit f*cked up with time :)

Believe you me, those holes have nothing to do with time.

Does anyone know why they are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Believe you me, those holes have nothing to do with time.

Does anyone know why they are there?

At a guess, by the looks of it, there may have been a piece of equipment or machinery that was cut out of the floor to remove it. at a guess.

I don't know, I mean, the place has holes going through it all over, but these are a lot bigger. I didn't really think they'd be for machinery.

Advertisement