Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are eircon playing at?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Epeen wrote: »
    Who said RTE were blocking irish addresses? RTE cant block irish addresses; else theyd not get their TV licence fee

What link did Foggy lad give? :confused:

The problem was Irish ISPs not giving IPs that allow connection to irish only sites/links (like rte's player)

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no....

There is not such thing as an 'Irish address' technically. It's actually RTE's fault for using geolocation databases strictly. As Eircom's ISP and Data services are pan-European their IP address ranges can exist in many countries as their point of entry to the Internet.

What is happening is that there are block of addresses registered and allocted from a RIR (Regional Internet Registry) - RIPE for Europe, ARIN for US, etc... Within these allocations and assignments are country codes. These country codes simply designate, generally, where the LIR (Local Internet Registry) is located as a business address. Their network can exists pretty much anywhere.

So, to put it plainly, RTE is at fault here for using a system that is not accurate to attempt to ringfence their audience into their geographical license region.

Redirect your ire elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no....

There is not such thing as an 'Irish address' technically. It's actually RTE's fault for using geolocation databases strictly. As Eircom's ISP and Data services are pan-European their IP address ranges can exist in many countries as their point of entry to the Internet.

What is happening is that there are block of addresses registered and allocted from a RIR (Regional Internet Registry) - RIPE for Europe, ARIN for US, etc... Within these allocations and assignments are country codes. These country codes simply designate, generally, where the LIR (Local Internet Registry) is located as a business address. Their network can exists pretty much anywhere.

So, to put it plainly, RTE is at fault here for using a system that is not accurate to attempt to ringfence their audience into their geographical license region.

Redirect your ire elsewhere.

Is that the same for other online restricted access streaming sites though? i.e. BBC and American networks like NBC? Do they have the same system?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Is that the same for other online restricted access streaming sites though? i.e. BBC and American networks like NBC? Do they have the same system?

Effectively, yes. Geolocation based upon IP address is inherently flawed. However, if they're working on a rule of 70% positive results then it'll work for them.

The Internet, by design, is not meant to be hindered by geographical boundaries. So, when organisations and governments try to ringfence they will always get false positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I dont have a licence and i dont use or have a television. My theory thus far has been not answering the door to anyone i dont expect and it has worked. Do i personally think i *should* have one: yes i do with RTEs new online stuff

Will i get one? No
    do you have a device capable of receiving and watching TV shows from RTE? YES.

does the fact that it isn't a TV in the traditional sense exclude you from requiring a licence to watch TV shows on it? NO

Will you buy a licence? NO, probably not but you've just admitted you are guilty of not having one and since your IP address is logged when you post here, the people at the TV licence office could just get a court order from boards.ie for your IP address and then get your address details off your ISP being (as it is a criminal offence to watch TV without a licence) and fine you for it.

I'm not saying they will, but you should be careful what you say on an open forum, it's not nearly as anonymous as people think it is. ;)

Advertisement