Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying Tesco and the ''change for good'' campaign

Options
  • 26-07-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Tesco have outdone themselves...:(

I would have thought a price change for good meant ...well... at least ...that it wouldn't rise in price the next month but ....

It seems though tesco have a different definition of "changefor good" :mad:...

''Of 50 products reduced in price for the “change for good” strategy in early May, six had risen again to the previous level'' :eek::eek::eek:

''TESCO HAS increased prices on hundreds of food items just over a month after they were reduced as part of a heavily-promoted price-cutting campaign in some stores.''

''The country’s biggest retailer confirmed yesterday it had increased prices on about 200 lines in its “change for good” stores, which stock large numbers of products directly imported from the UK rather than sourced from Irish suppliers.''

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0630/1224249781219.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are the prices higher or still lower than prior to the "Change for Good" campaign?, have other prices not previously reduced come down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

In retail grocery prices cahnge on a dily basis based on many many factors.

Fruit / Veg - in season / out of season.

Bread, flour,Cereals - price of the raw materials can fluctuate weekly.

Suppliers esp UK suppliers have been increasing prices charged due to weakness of sterling and higher cost of importing raw materials.

I shopped in Tesco today and found prices far better than before especially on flours, sauces, biscuits, tinned foods, frozen good, toileteries, pet food (approx. 30% reduction). Dairy products were much the same, but much of this originates in Ireland. No sign of Irish brands being pushed out.

But you still have to watch some items. They are not a charity, but their change for good has meant every supermarket has had to adjust the average prices downwards by substantial amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

you forgot to mention the other important point in the SAME article

However, it pointed out that some 300 items had fallen further in price since the new store layouts, or planograms, were introduced in stores near the Border and then Connacht.

Selective reporting is the mainstay of the Evening Hysterical - don't be taking their crown away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm a habitual nordie shopper who has not shopped up north since April which is down belately to rip-off Tesco reducing their prices.

Most of my stuff in Tesco has remained at the cheaper price. If they dare put them back up, i will promptly go back to Enniskillen/Newry, i am watching them!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

In Navan they shut the Tesco for the "Change For Good" campaign. Frying everyone's brains by pulling a reshuffle (every shopper's worst nightmare!) didn't help, but I'm guessing they had a HSA breach... Radioactive rats anyone? :P

Regardless of the true reason for the temporary closure *cough*healthandsafety*cough* the one thing I've noticed is that most of the prices rose until the old stock was shifted. All the new stock looks cheaper... but is of vastly inferior quality. My family has almost written off all Tesco-brand goods as virtually inedible :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Well my local tesco was closed for three days. Doubt that was health and safety too. Ive noticed a good few things id normally get have been considerably cheaper and also new stock that wasnt avilable before. Most notably I think Ben&Jerrys ice cream has been reduced from €6.50 to around €4.50. Thats one thing im happy with anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

ibuprofen wrote: »

It seems though tesco have a different definition of "changefor good" :mad:...

Perhaps Tesco mean "for good" as in "the best" not for good as in "forever" ;)

Sneaky sneaky Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Id prefer to starve than shop in Tesco.

Ya want to put that to the test? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mike65 wrote: »
    Ya want to put that to the test? :rolleyes:

Perhaps his real name is Musgrave.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I stopped shopping in Tesco since I found out about this.

I shop in Lidl/Aldi/Dunnes now depending on what I'm looking for. I usually go to a shop every day anyway as I never know what I want to have that evening so it doesn't put me out.

So far I find that usually Lidl/Aldi have nicer foods and fresher fruit/veg than Tesco/Dunnes even with choclate. They also always have good bread selection.

They are however crap for pizzas. I love Dunnes Chicago Town line of pizza :D

Lidl choccy is wonderful - contentals know how to make the stuff. Cadburys could burn down for all I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Diet Kick (like Red Bull) has decreased from 1.27c to 99c
    Sounds great!

Only in 2008, the old price was 89c.
    Tesco jacked up the price and they decreased it as if it's a good deal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I am not a defender , no a lover of Tesco. However the two day shutdown was in all their stores that have changed over. It was I presume to facilitate the massive change over of lines , in effect making the Tesco stores more in line with their UK counterparts.

The prices HAVE dropped certainly for me. I can cite at least one thing , which I know not many people buy but I do ( mint tea bags ) that has dropped in price by about 70% !

Of course it begs a question why we were being ripped off for so long .

I am always amazed by people who say that all ' Own Brand ' goods are disgusting , maybe because my mother shopped in Sainsbury where they were 90% own brand and I was brought up on them I genuinely cannot often find a difference . And given the choice of paying for example 1 euro odd for ' Roma ' chopped tomatoes or 20 odd cent for Tesco's when you are shoving them in a Chilli or a pasta sauce its a ' no brainer' . Also tell me why people buy branded milk ? its milk from the same cows !

Certainly the German supermarkets had a lot to do with this price change , and long live them , however I do find their choice limited , and I ( stupidly I know ) hate having my goods thrown at me at the checkout ( it you can't pack your bag at the checkout ). Aldi ( the only one near me ) seems to have a great choice of cheese , and their fresh fruit/veg seems to be much better than Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Ive noticed over the last month that prices at Tesco stores in Belfast have risen slightly,
    I dont think its anything to do with their 'border campaign', maybe costs have risen in general.

I find that 'Iceland' are the most value at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The UK is going to have to have a period of inflation at some stage due to their "quantiative easing" and loss in value of their currency.

The whole of the UK is now 33% poorer than a year ago internationally, that is starting to take effect in the price of imported goods. Even food stuffs will be effected, as all the subsidies are coming from the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

That would explain it then, or at least part of it. I dont believe transport costs are up,
    if reflected at the pump, and no way wages have jumped. What bothers me about the
    Tesco's of this world is that all profits leave the island, no matter where the store is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd imagine that Tesco pay as much tax here as possible due to our low CT rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Price alert

tesco brand pork sausages (8pack)

Last week: €1.09
    This week: €1.59

Thats nearly a 45% increase.

The rest of my basket of goods havent dropped 1 cent

Marty Morrissey promised me change for good!

weepee wrote: »
    That would explain it then, or at least part of it. I dont believe transport costs are up,
    if reflected at the pump, and no way wages have jumped. What bothers me about the
    Tesco's of this world is that all profits leave the island, no matter where the store is.

It depends on where all of the shareholders are living. I bet that there are quite a few Irish shareholders as well as those from many other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

keefg wrote: »
    Perhaps Tesco mean "for good" as in "the best" not for good as in "forever" ;)

Sneaky sneaky Tesco.

Maybe tesco's change ''for good'' is for the good of tesco and not relating to any timeframe....:confused:

sneaky snakey tesco...

Was in tesco the other day and saw a few we are cheaper than dunnes/lidl flag on a price ,about one per aisle ..........

A bit stupid of them really ......

all they're showing is that they're dearer on all the other items. the other 200 odd :confused:......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

:D Marty Whelan :pac: - he's just as messenger boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It depends on where all of the shareholders are living. I bet that there are quite a few Irish shareholders as well as those from many other countries.

Yes, such as alot of Tesco staff, Tesco apparently have quiet a good employee share purchasing and saving scheme. Plus alot of the profits would be reinvested in the country again by way of store improvements and upgrading and staff rewards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Price alert

Was in grabbing a few bits the other day...and to see if there was anything in the line of bargains.

I happened upon the freezer section, spotted a pack of 4 spring rolls (tesco own brand) that were going for 80c after the store "changed for good"...hadn't bought them in a few weeks, went to lift them, looked at the SEL...€2.05
    So a 152% price increase.

FWIW I queried the price on the aisle scanner...scanned at that price. The previous price wasn't a mistake as far as I could see and was carried for a month or so at least.

Tesco have definitely brought prices down, but there is a lot of sneaky underhand stuff like this going on to slowly push things back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

dh0661 wrote: »
    :D Marty Whelan :pac: - he's just as messenger boy.

Doh!
    I'm terribly sorry Marty Morrissey, But I can see from your come to bed smile that all is forgiven though
    martymorrissey_p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Jip wrote: »
    Yes, such as alot of Tesco staff, Tesco apparently have quiet a good employee share purchasing and saving scheme. Plus alot of the profits would be reinvested in the country again by way of store improvements and upgrading and staff rewards.

Everyone in tesco basically gets min wage, apart from a handful in each store........I never heard of the share purchasing in this country but even if there was how could the employees invest...

Anyway.....Tesco's treatment of their staff is so good that 19 stores just went on strike about a month ago.

''Mandate Trade Union said today that it is deferring the planned industrial action scheduled for Thursday in 19 Tesco stores in order to facilitate discussions between the company and the union in the Labour Court.

Strike notice was served in Arklow, Wicklow; Ashbourne, Meath; Bloomfield, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin; Carlow; Crumlin, Dublin; Gorey, Wexford; Greystones, Wicklow; Killarney New Street, Kerry; Longford; Naas, Kildare; Navan, Meath; Newbridge, Kildare; Omni, Dublin; Poleberry, Waterford; Rathfarnham, Dublin; Roscrea, Tipperary; Roxboro, Limerick; Tralee Manor, Kerry; Wicklow.''

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Share purchase schemes are very common in British retail. I bought my first car after investing in one in Next, returns at the time were nearly 24% after tax. It increases interest in securing profit for your company as apposed to just turning up and going home.

Beats the few free drinks at the Christmas Party.

I would estimate average wage at a Tesco store for non management at €12.50 per hour. Depends on how long staff stay. Staring rates are about €9.40, maybe you call that minimum wage....

Starangely enough the stores you mentioned have some of the best paid staff in the company as they are long serving staff from pre 1996. They would have had their hours cut due to decreasing sales, if it wasn't for change for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

escobar wrote: »
    Everyone in tesco basically gets min wage, apart from a handful in each store........I never heard of the share purchasing in this country but even if there was how could the employees invest...

Firstly, where's your proof that basically everyone in Tesco is on minimum wage ? I can't dress this up any more but you're full of crap on this.

And secondly, because you never have heard of the employee share scheme are you therefore assuming that it must not exist ? As much as we'd like to believe that you know everything that goes on in the world you're full of it.

It's not "even if there was", it's simple "there is", got that ? And what do you mean how do could an employee invest ? What a stupid question, they invest in shares just like every other company that has an employee share scheme. You should know that, after all, you know everything don't you ?

People like you are very fond of quoting random newspaper stories without being able to put them into some form of cohesive argument. Do you actually know what that issue was over ?

But then again Escobar, you've never let facts get in the way of your Tesco bashing either.

Jip wrote: »
    Firstly, where's your proof that basically everyone in Tesco is on minimum wage ? I can't dress this up any more but you're full of crap on this.

And secondly, because you never have heard of the employee share scheme are you therefore assuming that it must not exist ? As much as we'd like to believe that you know everything that goes on in the world you're full of it.

It's not "even if there was", it's simple "there is", got that ? And what do you mean how do could an employee invest ? What a stupid question, they invest in shares just like every other company that has an employee share scheme. You should know that, after all, you know everything don't you ?

People like you are very fond of quoting random newspaper stories without being able to put them into some form of cohesive argument. Do you actually know what that issue was over ?

But then again Escobar, you've never let facts get in the way of your Tesco bashing either.

On the subject of monies flowing around the country, many seem to think all of the foreign enterprises take the money and run, which is BS. Many don't seem to take it on board that many Irish companies send their money overseas, and also pay foreign taxes, wages etc etc, by investing in overseas businesses. Take Musgrave for instance, with a sizeable Spanish operation, not to mention its UK Budgens chain. Of course Musgrave also has shareholders, except these are all Musgrave family/trust holdings. Like the Dunne family, the Musgraves play their cards very close to their chests.

Had Musgraves been a charitable concern like all of the Irish native companies:pac:, they would not have amassed huge family fortunes and foreign businesses.

The Irish people, after decades of getting creamed by the Musgrave franchisees, have paid for all of this, but own none of it.

One shop-owner, several years ago, was telling me that, when he first got together with Musgrave to discuss taking on a SuperValu franchise, the Musgrave guy that he was talking to asked him what religion he was, because he couldn't work out whether the shop-owner had a Catholic or Protestant Irish surname:eek:. It was as bad as a Freemason's handshake and should have been consigned to the dark ages!

I'm glad there's more competition in Ireland, because there are certain people that I don't want to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I find it amusing when they put up lists of "this weeks trolley" vs "last weeks trolley" in the shops, if the sausages are too dear this week buy something else! I never ever go to shops with a list, you are just walking into trouble, people saying "basket of goods", like they buy the same stuff each time. I would very rarely buy the same basket twice, and very few people I know do. I just seek out the best deals for that day, and the REAL best deals, NOT what they claim are good value.

I have found my local tesco has some really good deals since the "change", and have heard others comment on it too. Loads of new items out too, you just have to look out for them. I can fully understand the "list" people not noticing though.

The way some people are going on you would swear tesco went to court and swore they would never change prices again for all eternity. If you are naive enough not to understand marketing tricks and loopholes in wording at this stage there is no hope for you.

Advertisement