Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying Tesco and the ''change for good'' campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ejmaztec wrote: »
    One shop-owner, several years ago, was telling me that, when he first got together with Musgrave to discuss taking on a SuperValu franchise, the Musgrave guy that he was talking to asked him what religion he was, because he couldn't work out whether the shop-owner had a Catholic or Protestant Irish surname:eek:. It was as bad as a Freemason's handshake and should have been consigned to the dark ages!

According to my Dad, this was true about 25 years ago. AFAIK there are a good few "catholic" Super Valu franchisees around the country these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dh0661 wrote: »
    According to my Dad, this was true about 25 years ago. AFAIK there are a good few "catholic" Super Valu franchisees around the country these days.

They have to grin and bear it these days if they want to make money on the franchises, but I think it's a different story with the director guys at the top of the heap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

rubadub wrote: »
    The way some people are going on you would swear tesco went to court and swore they would never change prices again for all eternity. If you are naive enough not to understand marketing tricks and loopholes in wording at this stage there is no hope for you.

Where did this come from?
    Apologies dear moderator for bringing a price rise to the peoples attention

And btw, having worked for tesco for 4 years I do understand how the whole retail thing works.

So it you want to personaly abuse a poster then then perhaps moderating isnt the job for you.
    & I have no problem in telling you to go f*ck yourself asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

People have a right to know what prices are what, i'm glad of these lists. It exposes any lies that may happen in Tesco's new campaign.

So far, Tesco have not put up my regular stuff but by god i'm watching them like a hawk due to their past dishonesty on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Since the ' change for good ' I have noticed a few problems with my local Tesco

a) Often the shelf price has no relation to the cost of the item at the till . So far all downwards. For example yesterday I purchased about 10 items, 3 of them had much higher prices on the shelf compared to my bill afterwards. I go through my bill carefully , because I used to often find things that were higher and I had great delight getting them for free .

b) They seem to have even worse stocking issues than normal. Esp on the fresh /chilled items .

c) Quite a few items that I used to purchase are no longer available ( the only example I can think from the top of my head is Buffalo Mozzerella ). However this is counteracted by a lot of things that I used not to be able to get ( like proper pickled onions ! ) thay I now can.

I have noticed a considerable drop in some prices , hwoever I have also noticed some things going up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just a quick question, does anybody know why tesco say all dublin stores have now changed for good when infact they haven't! I went to tesco in swords this week to get a bottle of wine and it was still priced at the per change for good price. I have got this same bottle of wine in both there drogheda and Clare hall stores for nearly 50cents less!
    Change for good, I think not!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Where did this come from?
    Apologies dear moderator for bringing a price rise to the peoples attention

And btw, having worked for tesco for 4 years I do understand how the whole retail thing works.

So it you want to personaly abuse a poster then then perhaps moderating isnt the job for you.
    & I have no problem in telling you to go f*ck yourself asshole.
    First of all Rubadud is a mod on a different forum (which is seen below the name).

Second the only one abusing someone here is you with a personal attack on a user.

All Rub pointed out (as it has been done over pretty much every single Tesco thread by various users) is that Tesco get a lot more heat for anything they do compared to the other Iriish superchain stores.

People complained Tesco was to dear and was ripping everyone of yet all other stores ran at the same price level; all Tesco's fault. Then it was Tesco's fault that they had cheaper prices in the north then in Ireland (ignoring the changing of GBP vs. EUR during the time among other things). Then it was Tesco's fault that when they lowered the price (and demanded the Irish companies to match the price or get thrown out for being to expensive) that Tesco was ruining Irish farmers and not stocking Irish food stuff any more. Then it was Tesco's fault that they where making higher margins in Ireland then UK and they should reduce their prices/margins to match this (yet once again nothing about the Irish chains who've been having the high prices for decades).

In short he's correctly pointing out the staggering double view of the complaints by people. Tesco could offer to save a homeless kitten with every sale and people would still find them at fault for it some how.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where did this come from?...

Where did what come from? There was no personal abuse. My last comment was "the way some people...", directed at anybody who is naive enough to believe marketing, which might well include you (the "you" was not specifically at you). In many of these threads nobody ever seems to be able to give links to direct quotes made by these stores or managers (like your line about "promised". Many people hear one thing and post up another, most of the time it is what they would like to have heard, just for the sake of some bitching.

If you find my post abusive then you can report it, I couldn't see how it was offensive myself.
    I have no problem in telling you to go f*ck yourself asshole.
    That is a good example of personal abuse, well done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

spank_inferno has been banned from ROI forum for a month! These are supposed to be discussion forums, not forums for giving posters abuse for no good reason!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

gurramok wrote: »
    People have a right to know what prices are what, i'm glad of these lists. It exposes any lies that may happen in Tesco's new campaign.

So far, Tesco have not put up my regular stuff but by god i'm watching them like a hawk due to their past dishonesty on the subject.

I don't know what your regular stuff is but every day there could be 300 increases and about 600 decreases in the store so prices change every day.

Offers start and end etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Nody wrote: »
    First of all Rubadud is a mod on a different forum (which is seen below the name).

Second the only one abusing someone here is you with a personal attack on a user.

All Rub pointed out (as it has been done over pretty much every single Tesco thread by various users) is that Tesco get a lot more heat for anything they do compared to the other Iriish superchain stores.

People complained Tesco was to dear and was ripping everyone of yet all other stores ran at the same price level; all Tesco's fault. Then it was Tesco's fault that they had cheaper prices in the north then in Ireland (ignoring the changing of GBP vs. EUR during the time among other things). Then it was Tesco's fault that when they lowered the price (and demanded the Irish companies to match the price or get thrown out for being to expensive) that Tesco was ruining Irish farmers and not stocking Irish food stuff any more. Then it was Tesco's fault that they where making higher margins in Ireland then UK and they should reduce their prices/margins to match this (yet once again nothing about the Irish chains who've been having the high prices for decades).

In short he's correctly pointing out the staggering double view of the complaints by people. Tesco could offer to save a homeless kitten with every sale and people would still find them at fault for it some how.

Thank you for putting that in one paragraph, this covers everything I have had to listen to for the last year day in day out.

I don't know why people dislike Tesco compared to other stores but when other British supermarkets arrive in Ireland we will see if it is just the fact the company was founded in Britain.

I was outside one of the stores in Dublin when they closed for 2 days and various customers came to the door asking what were they supposed to do without Tesco for 2 days. When I offered directions to the nearest supermarket, they said they would rather wait then shop somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

The thing is, Tesco have a better customer service than Dunnes or any of the other supermarkets.

Tesco have invested in self-service checkouts at just about all their irish stores while Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl have yet to catch up. Hence the constant queues at their checkouts.

Did i read this right? :)

I've always had queues at tescos, most especially at those self scan checkouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

Change for good! Some things never change. Last week Tescos own brand cholestrol reducing yoghurt drinks clearly printed with 2 for £2.50..Great, I bought two and was charged €1.99 each no reduction on till receipt.

So, will somebody tell me how £2.50 converts to €3.98??... Typical Tesco. I see loads of prices have increased since the change for good launched so beware! Pomegrant juice a few weeks ago €1.77 now €1.86.

CHANGE FOR GOOD....YESTERDAY'S LOW PRICES

U2Flyboy wrote: »
    Tescos own brand cholestrol reducing yoghurt drinks clearly printed with 2 for £2.50..Great, I bought two and was charged €1.99 each no reduction on till receipt.

So, will somebody tell me how £2.50 converts to €3.98??.
    Well you hardly expected to pay for them in sterling did you? surely they had the euro price up on the shelf? there was nothing to stop you returning them afterwards for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I think the handiest thing to do is :

If you are anyway near the border then go North as it will always be cheaper than the prices in the Republic.

For those not lucky enough to be close to the Border I'm sorry as you will always be ripped off, don't forget it's not all down to the Supermarkets there is a 6.5% vat difference imposed by the government & then the daily difference in the exchange rate between the Euro and Sterling. If you get lucky and shop on the right day this can be a straight up saving of 10%.

This is not including the far superior special offers up North, which in the end can save you up to 20 to 30% in total compared to what you would spend in the Republic.

I know I'm not supporting "Irish" jobs as our Government would say, I'm supporting my pocket which in these times is more important to me & my Family as I'm sure it is to most people in the current economic climate.

The way I look at it is that my Levy covers the VAT the Government IS loosing by me not shopping in the Republic & going up North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

marinbike wrote: »
    The thing is, Tesco have a better customer service than Dunnes or any of the other supermarkets.

Tesco have invested in self-service checkouts at just about all their irish stores while Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl have yet to catch up. Hence the constant queues at their checkouts.

Strange how regions vary, up here most people I know cant be arsed with
    self checkout.

I've noticed something n the Shampoo section :)

Are Tesco getting rid of the Head and Shoulders range? I've been to 2 Tesco's in Dublin(Finglas, Sandymount) and its damn hard to find the above shampoo(never found it). Is this one of the products they are terminating?

Strange thing happened yesterday. Went to Sandymount branch looking for McCains Oven Potatoes. Not there anymore, not even a label put up with price, they've vanished. Plenty of the namesake chips variety but not the potatoes.

Went to Ringsend Express, freezer full of McCains Oven Potatoes. Whats the story there?
    Noticed also in Sandymount, the Heinz WW range of readymeals have disappaered, this a trend?

To sum up, Tesco stores are all over the place, some stuff you'd find in one store are not in the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I really hate the bast*rds in this shop! The main thing that annoys me is the shelf reshuffle they do every few weeks!

I was watching the beeb yesterday morning . They had a 10 min thing on Tesco and the relaunch of their club card.

In the UK they are now giving double points , ie 2 points per pound

Any chance of that happening here ... I doubt it

Not that I would ever have one of these cards , as the beeb pointed out Tesco now have one of the biggest databases of it's kind in the country. They know what you buy , where you buy it , and when. They know if you have children/pets, what food you like etc . Too much information for me to give away, but then again I was always a little paranoid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Not that I would ever have one of these cards , as the beeb pointed out Tesco now have one of the biggest databases of it's kind in the country. They know what you buy , where you buy it , and when. They know if you have children/pets, what food you like etc . Too much information for me to give away, but then again I was always a little paranoid.
    Don't forget to cancel all your credit/debit cards; never use Internet with out going via an anonymizer service you've vetted or own a mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I really hate the bast*rds in this shop! The main thing that annoys me is the shelf reshuffle they do every few weeks!

All supermarkets do it, it's a simple way to get customers to walk around aisles they normally wouldn't in the hope they'd make some impulse purchases. I therefore assume you hate the bast*rds in Dunnes, Superquinn and the bigger Supervalu stores.

gurramok wrote:
    some stuff you'd find in one store are not in the next one.

Also nothing unusual as stores in one area would sell alot more of certain items in another area due to various socio-economic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Seamonster

The only reason they have reduced some of their prices is because of the competition from LIDL and ALDI. If the German supermarkets didn't come over here and offer some sort of competition, they definitely would have kept on charging us ridiculous prices and ripping us off as much as they legally could. I think they are an absolute disgrace. So even when they say they have reduced prices, it's too little too late.

Their club card scheme is a joke, they only introduced it to understand our consumer habits better so they can exploit us even further. I have noticed some of the smaller brands that I like (Old Spice - sorry!) isn't stocked anymore because there wasn't enough people buying it. Now you get Lynx shoved in your face with no other option. What happened to choice? Eventually the same will happen across the board with everything from tea to baking products. Smaller producers won't be able to compete with the big brands and will go out of business. All thanks to TESCO. I personally try and shop in small, local shops who offer a better deal and need the support.

And that PC's for School campaign. Nice idea but just another PR gimmick. You would probably have to buy around 60,000 euro's worth of groceries before a school can get a free PC. There is only one winner in that campaign - TESCO.

What a bunch of gimps. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Your post can be read the exact same way by substituting the word 'Tesco' with 'Dunnes', 'Superquinn' etc. Seriously, why do people fail to realise the very basic concept of how supermarkets work ?

Don't forget to cancel all your credit/debit cards; never use Internet with out going via an anonymizer service you've vetted or own a mobile phone

I was saying it a little tongue in cheek to be honest , Ill take it over to the Conspiracy Theory forum , it's way off topic :)

However my first comment re the fact they have doubled the rewards scheme in the UK is true , I do wonder if that will make it across the Irish Sea/South across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The spokeswoman didn't mention if it was a limited time offer. It's not devalued.

She actually said this was because of increased comp from Morrisons/Aldi and such like.

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/doublepoints/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Seamonster wrote: »
    The only reason they have reduced some of their prices is because of the competition from LIDL and ALDI. If the German supermarkets didn't come over here and offer some sort of competition, they definitely would have kept on charging us ridiculous prices and ripping us off as much as they legally could. I think they are an absolute disgrace. So even when they say they have reduced prices, it's too little too late.

Their club card scheme is a joke, they only introduced it to understand our consumer habits better so they can exploit us even further. I have noticed some of the smaller brands that I like (Old Spice - sorry!) isn't stocked anymore because there wasn't enough people buying it. Now you get Lynx shoved in your face with no other option. What happened to choice? Eventually the same will happen across the board with everything from tea to baking products. Smaller producers won't be able to compete with the big brands and will go out of business. All thanks to TESCO. I personally try and shop in small, local shops who offer a better deal and need the support.

And that PC's for School campaign. Nice idea but just another PR gimmick. You would probably have to buy around 60,000 euro's worth of groceries before a school can get a free PC. There is only one winner in that campaign - TESCO.

What a bunch of gimps. :mad:

Strange how SuperValu latches onto these PR gimmicks. In fact, don't some SV stores have loyalty cards?

Had it not been for competition between all of the supermarkets, you wouldn't be able to afford to support your local shop, because they'd be charging double what they're charging now.

Some consumers can't see the wood for the trees.

Oh, and Old Spice went out with the ark, not that I'm condoning the use of Lynx, however.

gurramok wrote: »
    Are Tesco getting rid of the Head and Shoulders range?
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    Ill take it over to the Conspiracy Theory forum
    Some posts here are worse than the muck in the CT forum. I really hope they do stop stocking head & shoulders, might make some idiots see they have not got some racist vendetta only against Irish manufacturers. If they stop stocking goods I would presume they are not as profitable as others, makes perfect business sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Modern supermarkets live and die by sales figures, every single line in the store has a target amount and if it consistently fails to reach it, well, it's not profitable to continue stocking it.
    I work at a major supermarket(not Tesco) and one of my duties is to order frozen food. For the last couple of weeks, Goodfellas Delicia pizza range has been at €2, and so of course I've been ordering lots and lots of it- but only in three of the 5 varieties available to me. I know from the last time the same offer was on that the other two flavours have abysmal sales. Why should I stock it when I have weekly sales of 32 cases(15 units(pizzas) in a case) for pepperoni, 27 cases of margherita, 28 of chicken and then 1.5 cases of the others? Bear in mind that before the offer, I would get sales of 7 cases a week on the three popular lines and less than a case on the others. I will also add that none of my managers have objected, and it was my previous department manager who decided to run this promotion this way.
    So although you may decry me for impeding customer choice, the fact of the matter is that this is how supermarkets operate and make the massive profits that they do.

Advertisement